Getting Belize Dollars

CTCruiser001

I like to collect local currency from ports we visit. Can anyone suggest how I can do this in Belize? Most ports have a bank nearby where you can go exchange money, but I have not been able to find anything concrete for Belize. Can anyone advise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Any store will take US and give change in Belize$. with the exception of Tourist Village. Some shops there must give back US. There may be an A.T.M. in tourist Village that dispenses $20s and $50s BZ. If you take a walk into the city, across the swing bridge there are two banks. Scotia bank and Atlantic Bank. The rate at the banks is not 2 to 1. It is 1.00 US to about 1.90 BZ.

I had no problem "trading" US currency for Belize currency when we were there on a cruise. I forget the name of the shop, but it's a large souvenir shop near where the tenders are located. They gave change back in US currency but I asked if they'd like to "trade" and were happy to. They "traded" with their own Belize dollars, not money from the register. I also traded some more while on our tour to Altun Ha with some of the vendors there. The exchange rate was $1.00 USD for $2.00 Belize dollars.

scan-0084.jpg

scan0083.jpg