French Polynesia Excursions

KruzeKrazy!

We are doing a 10-day Princess cruise out of Tahiti to the below islands for our 40th anniversary.

We're looking to do just a few excursions rather than one every stop - we've gone that route many times before and are looking for more R&R than "on the go." And our R&R is more about gorgeous natural scenery versus shopping, museums, etc.

We've also done lots of snorkeling before, don't scuba, etc. And we're more interested in smaller, more intimate rather than larger group tours.

Which islands and what excursions on each would everyone recommend as the best 2 or 3 scenic highlights?

- Tahiti

- Huahine

- Rangiora

- Raiatea

- Bora Bora (heard Patrick's is great)

- Moorea (staying 3 nites post-cruise)

Thanks all! Brian

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

You are right to slow down. It's all about island time.

Although Tahiti has a gorgeous interior, getting there takes a while. Instead, you could hang out in downtown Papeete, go to the market, look what local people are buying in the small stores around it. Walk along the waterfront. Have a cup of coffee in an outdoor café and do some people watching. If you are still there at 6 pm, you'll see the roulottes set-up right at the waterfront. Have a savory crepe. By the way, for lunch, the locals go to MacDonalds. For well padded wallets, I recommend black pearl shopping.

Moorea: an excursion into the interior, don't miss the Belvedere. Book through your hotel. We were 6 people in the jeep. Go to the juice factory, taste various liqueurs. Check out how coconut soap is made. Superb quality!

Huahine: Pearl Farm, quality was so so, but the excursion to get there was great.

Raiatea: Vanilla Farm, short river excursion. It's the only navigable river in French Polynesia.

Do NOT miss the chance to go on one of Patricks tours!!! Try Tahiti Discovery with Teiva in Papeete. You will see parts of the island not many people see and will learn a lot about the flora and fauna too.

Do NOT miss the chance to go on one of Patricks tours!!! Try Tahiti Discovery with Teiva in Papeete. You will see parts of the island not many people see and will learn a lot about the flora and fauna too.

i did book tahiti discovery with teiva because of your recommendation. can you recommend land tour for raetiea and moorea?

thanks,

maria

• 2 weeks later...
i did book tahiti discovery with teiva because of your recommendation. can you recommend land tour for raetiea and moorea?

thanks,

maria

We took a ships tour in Raiatea and Moorea. Are you interested or do you prefer an independent tour?

• 2 weeks later...

KruseKrazy, My take on Rangiroa. Remote. It's 99%water and 1%land. The ship anchored INSIDE the lagoon via Tiputa Pass. We tendered in to the dock. 1 hut sold beer and sea-shells. Somebody said they saw a store and a French Post Office, we did not. There was no public transport on the necklace of teeny islets that make up Rangiroa. People fly into Rangiroa and stay in little Pension' Hotelle's. Elevation of Rangiroa's many islets is about 7/feet(Dirt was barged in so tree roots could grow) We snorkeled back out towards our Cruiseship and around pilings of an abandoned 'Hotel on Stilts' facing the Lagoon. SCUBA people got a wonderful dive a lo-ooong speedboat ride from dock. Rangiroa was pretty cool in an End-of-World way. GOOGLE up a map of Rangiroa to get a better feel of the situation. Locomotiveman Tom

• 3 weeks later...

My recommendation for Raiatea would be a snorkelling tour at coral gardens. I have done a lot of snorkelling around the South Pacific but the coral and sea life there stands out in my memory as some of the best. For your time in Moorea I'd suggest a day trip to one of the Motus - they give you a taste of the local culture with cooking, pareo tying, coconut tree climbing etc demonstrations and also a chance to just kick back and relax on the beach or snorkel with stingrays, turtles etc