Electric extension leads. Warning

Hi everybody...l

We cruise with around five lines so I read all those forums.

On many forums you get "tips". One of these is to take an extension lead with multiple sockets.

Well we have just cruised on the Azura with P and O.

Whilst in dock a crew alert was sounded for a fire in a cabin.

The fire was caused apparently by the passenger using an extension with appliances.

We were just leaving the ship and to see the crew reacting to the alert was sobering I can tell you.

They certainly appeared very professional and it gave me confidence in them. You could tell straight away it was not a drill.

The fire was quickly under control apparently.

Just thought I would share this on the forums of the lines we cruise with.

Hi everybody...l

We cruise with around five lines so I read all those forums.

On many forums you get "tips". One of these is to take an extension lead with multiple sockets.

Well we have just cruised on the Azura with P and O.

Whilst in dock a crew alert was sounded for a fire in a cabin.

The fire was caused apparently by the passenger using an extension with appliances.

We were just leaving the ship and to see the crew reacting to the alert was sobering I can tell you.

They certainly appeared very professional and it gave me confidence in them. You could tell straight away it was not a drill.

The fire was quickly under control apparently.

Just thought I would share this on the forums of the lines we cruise with.

Thanks for that - it's important these issues are brought to the attention of other cruisers. Quite a sobering report. We also are in the habit of taking an extension lead however we only ever use it whilst we are in the cabin - we never leave items plugged in or charging and leave them. I don't know whether that would have made a difference to how the incident unravelled on Azura but it's certainly worth being very cautious.

Our friends were on this trip too - we met them for coffee yesterday and they were telling us about it, also the loss of power. Thankfully all dealt with effectively with no-one coming to harm.

The loss of power for two to three hours was a touch unsettling.

Bobbing about in the ocean, even for a relatively short time made you start thinking suppose we were entering port or near shore when it happened.

We had no problem in our cabin, but others were not as lucky with total loss of facilities and power in the cabins.

The Captain briefed us every 30 minutes as to progress with repairs.

I think the next safety briefing I attend will have my upmost attention.

Hope your friends enjoyed the cruise.

We did, but still prefer the smaller ships.

It's possibly going to be a fault on the extension lead or one of the appliances. No-one can forsee this.

The only other explanation would be having too many high power devices plugged in at once, 3 or 4 phone/laptop/tablet chargers would not overload the socket, but having a kettle and 2 or 3 other devices like hairdryers would do.

We all wouldn't overload sockets at home, so shouldn't do it at sea.

I know what you mean about losing power at sea, a bit un-nerving. It must have been awful on that Carnival one last year that were without for days, they were sleeping on deck because they had no air con.

There has just been a fire in a Carnival ship in one of the cabins it was extinguished very quickly could have been caused by overload .A number of years ago there was a fire on board a ship that we where on that was scary then 5 days after we returned home it had another fire and sank no Los of life thankfully (Sun Vista ).