San Juan - free trolley

beshears

If you have been to San Juan within the past year, and took a trolley to the Forts, etc., did you have to wait very long, or did they seem pretty full when you tried to board, or did you have to wait for the next one, etc.

I guess, if we took the trolley to the Forts, we could walk back, right, as I believe it would be downhill.

How close are the forts to each other, and is one that you would recommend seeing, etc., then the other?

Took the trolley last week and waited maybe 15 or 20 minutes. Only one ship in port so while not everyone was seated on the trolley, everyone got on. We walked to the stop just before the port and were at the front of the line. El Morro is the highest elevation so I would suggest taking the trolley there first.

If you have been to San Juan within the past year, and took a trolley to the Forts, etc., did you have to wait very long, or did they seem pretty full when you tried to board, or did you have to wait for the next one, etc.

I guess, if we took the trolley to the Forts, we could walk back, right, as I believe it would be downhill.

How close are the forts to each other, and is one that you would recommend seeing, etc., then the other?

We will be visiting in March and I've been doing a little research. I found a couple people who recommended not trying to board at the main port trolley stop, but instead walk a little bit to the left (as you exit the port), and catch the trolley at the stop right before the main port one. Less people boarding and a much shorter wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We tried to catch the trolly on a Sunday it was full every time it went by if you tried to catch it by any of the forts. After the forts there were spots open but it was a 30min+ wait and limit seats.The drives only allow 4 people per seat no exceptions.

There were like 3 ships in port when we arrived. We went to the left, to a stop right before the pier stop. Traffic was crazy with hardly any movement. We waited 10-15 minutes and only ever saw a national park bus, which hardly made any progress towards us. We gave up and had a nice walk instead.

I would just walk to the cristobal fort and tour that first, then take the shuttle to el moro after or even just walk it. We got on at the cristobal fort and It took a long time to come by and it was pretty full. If you don't mind walking then I think thats a better option as the trams don't seem to come by that often. Maybe every 25-30 min.

I would just walk to the cristobal fort and tour that first, then take the shuttle to el moro after or even just walk it. We got on at the cristobal fort and It took a long time to come by and it was pretty full. If you don't mind walking then I think thats a better option as the trams don't seem to come by that often. Maybe every 25-30 min.

How long would you say that the walk took you?

The walk from pier 3 (the only one with out a terminal, just the pier) to the main entrance to fort San Cristobal at the top of the hill should take an average person around 10 minutes. If you opt for the lower level entrance (make a right at the corner where the hill starts then up through the public parking lot) it should be around 7 minutes.

On Sundays it is very difficult to find a trolley seat. You also have to watch the marquee as some go on the outer loop (with the label "forts") while others go on the inner loop. The numbered stops have no bearing that we could figure out as to the order of the routes. After getting frustrated with full trolleys, we actually walked from the cruise port north to Cristobal, then west to El Morro, then back to our hotel (the Sheraton) via Fortaleza St. for some shopping. We are in our 60's and by no means great physical specimens but it wasn't bad at all.