Duty Free Liquar shop in San Juan Airport?

coronawomen

Is there a duty free liquar store in the San Juan airport? I know there is a perfume and jewelry shops, but what about liquar. I am asking, because once you pass through security, couldn't you purchase your liquar here to bring back to the states with you, rather than packing it in your checked luggage before going through security. Just wondering - someone from San Juan could make a fortune right now if there was or is one - with everyone not allowed to bring the liquid on as carry on, one would think the airport would make tons from us Americans who want to bring bottles back with us. A thought!!

There is! SJ Airport is quite awesome in that department...there may not be a whole heck of a lot of choices of places to eat but there is plenty to buy. We saw the liquor extremely cheap and duty free..usually duty free isn't a big difference in price but over there it was amazing how cheap it was, as well as cigarettes. I think we bought 8 cartons of cigarettes back with us when we were there becuase they were less than $20 a carton, we are in NJ so that is really good since they are over $6 a pack here. You can buy and pack it in your carryon.

we were at this airport in october...there was a duty free liquor store after security ...you purchase what you want , then they "bag" it up , zip tie it, and away you go to your gate....no problem taking it on the plane with you-just has to stay "sealed" until you reach your final destination....just make sure if you have to "connect" with your flights that you stay inside the security checkpoints or they will take it from you there....

Marsha

You CAN fly with these liquids!

It was so cool....we bought liquor on the Destiny and packed it in our suitcases...

when we got to the Airport, there are liquor stores past security. They have special bags they seal with special seals and you can take them onboard.

the prices were ALOT CHEAPER!!! Sheridans was $8.00 cheaper than the cruise price....plus this purchase didn't go against our Immigration papers...we had already turned that in when we got off the ship and went thru customs.

btw...as stated above...there is no good food at the airport!!!!

Just as an FYI...Puerto Rico is a US Territory so technically, you are in the US when in San Juan.

They do have a duty free shop and some things have good prices, others are ehhh. No where near St Thomas on some things but if you are looking for more without worrying about your limits, it's a good spot to pick up a couple more.

It's funny to see the pilots hitting the duty free shops on their change overs. Makes sense if they can shop duty free in US going to another US city.

And yes, no restaurants. The news stand with snacks is about all you are going to find!

THANKS EVERYONE, for you help on this. We ALWAYS look forward to bringing home liquar that is so much cheaper to get there than here. I will be sure to check out the airport even when we land there and scope out the prices and what they carry before going to the ship. I know I love "clippers" which is St. Thomas' version of Captain Morgan which even tastes better and I think stronger than Captain. So, therefore I will have to pick up some of these, and just pack good in my checked luggage. Again, thanks.

Happy cruzin!!:)

We purchased both cigarettes and liquor from the duty-free store in the airport. I'd say we probably saved at least $10 on all 3 items we purchased (total). I also thought it was neat how they bag up the liquid items and tag them so that you can carry them on the airplane.

Oh, and there is a bar inside the security checkpoint and you can get finger foods like smothered french fries. We had to eat something since we got bumped off our flight and had to take a later one! Although it worked out well because we each got $400 vouchers... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

If you buy it duty free in the airport and are taking a flight in the same airport, they seal the purchase in a special way that meets regualtions.

If you buy it outside the airport, you will HAVE to check it...no way around it.

I was reading the posts and I think there is a misunderstanding. Duty Free requires you to show a ticket indicating that you are leaving that day. They greet you at the plane and you get your stuff from them at boarding. Unless they don't enforce the rules, you cannot arrive at the San Juan airport, buy duty free liquor, and then go to the cruise ship and take it on with you. If that was your plan, then you should plan to stop at a supermarket on the way to the pier. The prices are cheap in general, but will be way cheaper than anything on the ship anyway.