Taxi in Mumbai

alidor

Just a quick question - when we arrive into the international airport in Mumbai, should I arrange for a private transfer to our hotel or are taxis efficient and economical to take?

DH has travelled to India a number of times and always arranges a private transfer, usually through the hotel he is staying in.

When I went there with him I did arrange a private transfer through the Indian travel agent I had booked a train trip through. It was most unsatisfactory, the driver wasn't waiting for us and eventually turned up after another driver rang him for us. Luckily I did have a printout with his phone number on it.

All the hotel arranged transfers were excellent.

Just exiting an Indian airport and entering the crowd is full-on culture shock on a first visit. I'd take a hotel car the first time, though it'll be comparatively expensive. If you do take a taxi, use the pre-paid booth (there's always one), but you'll probably need rupees. Neither the vehicle nor the driving will be what you are used to. Tip the driver.

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi from Mumbai airport will be economical if you buy it from prepaid counter near the exit but if you try uber in Mumbai it's cheaper if there is no surcharge. Or you can try OLA cabs ( copy of Uber ) the pricing is the cheapest which is ₹ 6 per km if you choose a Micro car option from their App

Can anyone suggest a company to call for private transfer? In my case, to the cruise pier?

Also, anyone have any idea how it works from port back to airport at the end of the cruise. The ship itself does not offer any type of transfers. Thanks.

Can anyone suggest a company to call for private transfer? In my case, to the cruise pier?

Also, anyone have any idea how it works from port back to airport at the end of the cruise. The ship itself does not offer any type of transfers. Thanks.

Check Trip Advisor for Mumbai. Several options for private transfer.

Joe