Using Credit card overseas

Hi,

For our upcoming cruise we have decided to use our credit card on ship and in ports. We will have some cash but due to other circumstances will mainly be relying on our cards.

I vaguely remember reading that some overseas places don't accept PIN numbers starting with zero or ones longer than 4 numbers. Is this correct?

Also I understand that Carnival will put holds on our card each day , can anyone advise the daily holds that would be put on card?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

I vaguely remember reading that some overseas places don't accept PIN numbers starting with zero or ones longer than 4 numbers. Is this correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You should check with your bank but best to have only four digit pin number. I had a Wespac card some years ago in Europe with five number pin and could not use it in ATM's. It was really inconvenient as it was our primary card for withdrawals and had to go inside a bank to make the transaction with a teller. Was told at the bank in Paris that ATM's in Europe only accept four number pin.

If you have time, I would get a new card such as 28 degrees, which doesn't have international transaction fees and the currency conversion rates are pretty good as well. For Cash advances from ATMs I would go for a card like Citibank which also has not international fees.

It should take under 3 weeks to get these cards.

If you have time, I would get a new card such as 28 degrees, which doesn't have international transaction fees and the currency conversion rates are pretty good as well. For Cash advances from ATMs I would go for a card like Citibank which also has not international fees.

It should take under 3 weeks to get these cards.

I agree. After seeing recommendations for both on CC we applied online for both and found them so convenient.