Seattle overnight?

My wife and I are sailing out of Seattle in August and will be spending the night pre cruise and post cruise.

We are thinking of spending one night near the airport and one night near the downtown area. We are unfamiliar with the area, are there places to stay near the port and within walking distance? Also how far is it from the port to the downtown attractions

No reason to stay near SeaTac airport. It's very easy to get to downtown Seattle using the SoundTransit Link light rail ($3 ticket). It takes about 35-40 minutes, and is a piece of cake to navigate.

http://www.soundtransit.org/Schedules/Link-light-rail

Get on at SeaTac Airport (just have to walk across the airport parking garage - follow the signs), and then get off at Westlake.

Personally, I like staying at the Grand Hyatt, because it has a hot tub, but there are plenty of good hotels around downtown. I've had good experiences at the Grand Hyatt, the Hyatt at Olive 8, and the Hotel Andra. All are within walking distance to Pike Place Market and downtown.

You do need to be aware of your surrounding though: a lot of homeless and the drug addicts around 3rd Street.

Only downside of Link light rail is there is no good place for luggage. Don't put it in the bike rack spots the cyclists are very protective and probably in better shape than you. :eek: Best to use the train in non-commuting hours if on weekday. The train may be mostly empty at the airport but will fill fast to standing room with people jealously looking at seats filled with luggage. Also from center of terminal the train station at airport is about 500 yards (measured on GoogleEarth) away - dragging luggage. Badly needs a moving beltway IMHO.

If cruising on NCL Pier 66 is downtown and there are lots of hotels close. If on any other line then Pier 91 is a couple miles north with nothing around it.

Near the airport a lot of people have been recommending Cedarbrook Lodge but downtown has a lot more to offer for touristing around even thgouh a lot more expensive. Still might be an option pre-cruise to drop luggage , light rail (they will take you to station) and tourist around downtown then back for night and cab to the pier next day.

Only downside of Link light rail is there is no good place for luggage. Don't put it in the bike rack spots the cyclists are very protective and probably in better shape than you. :eek: Best to use the train in non-commuting hours if on weekday. The train may be mostly empty at the airport but will fill fast to standing room with people jealously looking at seats filled with luggage. Also from center of terminal the train station at airport is about 500 yards (measured on GoogleEarth) away - dragging luggage.
Things can certainly be busier than when we were on the light rail last week although the train was never more than ¾ full as we approached Westlake. The bike storage area has been changed to either bikes or luggage. We rode back to the airport a couple years ago on game day and it was the only time it was packed. There’s a sign where you can store your luggage that’s pretty clear. The bikers may still get a little ticked, I suppose. We’ve never had problems although I don’t think I’d even attempt it at commute times.

581982754_LightRailSeaTac.jpg.c546f330b7fd25eb596c67cf472ef688.jpg