Disembark in New York - Directions to cabs

NSAHO79

I recently returned from a cruise on NCL Gem and had a serious problem with the disembarkation in New York. I had booked a car service but we were herded out of the terminal like sheep and I followed a sign that said "Taxis and Car Service" which took me left outside the terminal. There were hundreds of people with their luggage trying to move along the sidewalk but all I could see were BUSES. Apparently there is another level to this area where the car services and taxis wait for their passengers. How do you get to it? Do you walk to the end of the buses and then UP or is there some way to get to it inside the terminal? I am going again in Dec and don't want to go through the same mess. Thanks everyone.

They want you to be picked up across the street on the northbound side of 12th Ave...it's been that way for some time. There's a taxi stand there on the corner of 12th Ave. and 48th St. I'm surprised you weren't herded (and I use that word intentionally) there by port workers, and I'm surprised your car service dispatcher didn't tell you that.

(Hint...you may be able to sneak upstairs one level by elevator or escalator and get picked up on the drop off level, but many of the car service drivers will not do it because they've been instructed to only pick up across the street. The upstairs level is now supposed to be only for drop offs.)

Edited by njhorseman

I am going to board QM2 in Manhattan next week. I will be staying a Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Ave. I will be getting a taxi from hotel to Pier 92 on 55th street/12 Ave.

As I am 88 years old , have difficulty walking, certainly could not "haul" my suitcases, I was alarmed to read the previous report that cabs DROP OFF passengers ACROSS the street.

Does this mean cabs cannot drive a passenger like myself up to the terminal, where the porters handle the luggage.

Pleas reply ASAP, very concerned.

Thank you

I am going to board QM2 in Manhattan next week. I will be staying a Hilton Garden Inn on 8th Ave. I will be getting a taxi from hotel to Pier 92 on 55th street/12 Ave.

As I am 88 years old , have difficulty walking, certainly could not "haul" my suitcases, I was alarmed to read the previous report that cabs DROP OFF passengers ACROSS the street.

Does this mean cabs cannot drive a passenger like myself up to the terminal, where the porters handle the luggage.

Pleas reply ASAP, very concerned.

Thank you

You've misread something. No one said taxis have to drop off embarking passengers across the street...it's the pick up of disembarking passengers that takes place across the street.

Your taxi absolutely will be able to take you to the front door of the pier where porters will be available to take your luggage.

Edited by njhorseman

You've misread something. No one said taxis have to drop off embarking passengers across the street...it's the pick up of disembarking passengers that takes place across the street.

Your taxi absolutely will be able to take you to the front door of the pier where porters will be available to take your luggage.

Phew, that certainly has "taken a load of my mind" and my body!.

QM2 normally does not use Manhattan, so have never boarded there. Going to Red Hook, the normal boarding place for QM2 can be difficult as the taxi cabs do not like going there, and often say they do not know where it is located. Even the busses do not go to the actual terminal, they drop off passengers who then have to walk to the terminal. Very trying for me.

Only another week to go now.

Thank you for your answer.