car remote key fobs allowed in purses?

LUPY48

I checked TSA and couldn't find out anything about this. Anyone know?

Here is the list of what is and is not allowed. People have argued that a remote starter or key fob to unlock your car could detonate something in the belly of the plane, but others say that there is too much steel between the passengers and the cargo for it to work.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm

Just got home from our cruise a couple of days ago... my remote entry fob was in my purse on the way down (Sept. 9) and on the way back (Sept. 16) with no issues... wasn't even questioned about it on either side of the border (4 rounds of security screening with all the various flights, too)

One thing I have heard that has been confiscated at security are some of the switchblade type car keys that are now being used (primarily by high-end imports). The thinking of the confiscation is that the switchblade design could be dangerous.

I've also heard that these keys cost a pretty penny, so if you find yourself with keys like this, it might not be a bad idea to check them in your suit case so you don't get your car keys confiscated. In addition to costing alot to replace, there's also then the issue of how to drive yourself home when you arrive back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived