1st Xmas Cruise

thescot123

Have just booked my first Xmas cruise for Dec 22nd. It is not my first solo cruise but it is my first one during a major holiday. Was on the same ship, NCL Jewel, in Oct with friends and had a great time. Working for a university, I get over 1 1/2 weeks off at Xmas so only need to use one days vacation.

For most years, I spend Xmas alone as family live so far away. Decided not to spend it alone this year and to go out an explore what I enjoy doing. The rate was not too bad as it was about $1300 for the week.

Has anyone else done a solo cruise at Xmas?

I've cruised solo over the holidays 4 or 5 times over the years. Like you I work at a university and it shuts down before Christmas and opens up after New Years so the holidays are a good time for me to get away.

This year I'll be on my longest cruise--SF-Hawaii-SF for 15 nights on the Grand Princess. Mostly I've cruised HAL and Princess. I'd love to hear how you liked your holiday cruise on NCL when you get back.

This time around I've joined our roll call. Over the last few cruises I've stopped doing formal nights and I've really enjoyed the anytime dining especially on HAL. I always take lots of reading material and start filling up my Kindle in October for a holiday trip.

Living in a college community it gets lonely over a long holiday break. I'm so glad I have a long cruise to look forward to. Faith

I've cruised solo over the holidays 4 or 5 times over the years. Like you I work at a university and it shuts down before Christmas and opens up after New Years so the holidays are a good time for me to get away.

This year I'll be on my longest cruise--SF-Hawaii-SF for 15 nights on the Grand Princess. Mostly I've cruised HAL and Princess. I'd love to hear how you liked your holiday cruise on NCL when you get back.

This time around I've joined our roll call. Over the last few cruises I've stopped doing formal nights and I've really enjoyed the anytime dining especially on HAL. I always take lots of reading material and start filling up my Kindle in October for a holiday trip.

Living in a college community it gets lonely over a long holiday break. I'm so glad I have a long cruise to look forward to. Faith

I will try to post my review of my trip on NCL. There are a lot of us who work for education who get a long break over the holidays. Usually the rates are too high for me to consider a Xmas cruise. Costco, who I book thru, said that I got a good price for this cruise at around $1350 for 7 days.

Edited by thescot123

I will try to post my review of my trip on NCL. There are a lot of us who work for education who get a long break over the holidays. Usually the rates are too high for me to consider a Xmas cruise. Costco, who I book thru, said that I got a good price for this cruise at around $1350 for 7 days.

I assume you are sailing on another NCL or a different cruise ship?

• 9 months later...

I know this an older thread but I have questions around Christmas and solo cruising.

Has anyone done cruising as a solo on Christmas; how was it? I think there would probably be a lot of families.

Is there a cruise line where there would be less kids? I love kids dearly but not necessarily on a cruise.

No bad intent here; just looking for advice and information.

Thanks! :)