Haleakala Down Hill Bike Tour

D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL

We have booked a sunrise bike ride with Maui Sunriders Bike Co. We chose them because we wanted to ride down at our own pace instead of in a group. There are other company's that offer "on your own" rides. They received good reviews on TripAdvisor and were very economical compared to other companies. We have up until 4:00 pm to return the bikes in Paia which is the end of the ride. We ride 19 days from now.

We did the Sunrise Bike Tour this past November. I booked it at this website http://adventuremaui.com/biking_the_volcano.htm. I highly recommend it. The sunrise is a not to be missed experience......you are above the clouds when the sun rises and it is just breathtaking. I really enjoyed the bike ride.....it was awesome. I looked into many but picked this one because it had the longest guided ride taking you all the way to Paia. The tour guys did a great job keeping us safe. There was a lead cyclist from the tour company and then a van that followed the group. If at anytime anyone felt unsafe, you could put your bike and yourself into the van for the rest of the ride (no one from our group did that.) I also liked the fact that they provide winter gear for you (it is really cold at the top!) If you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Edited by CruisnDeb

We did the Sunrise Bike Tour this past November. I booked it at this website http://adventuremaui.com/biking_the_volcano.htm. I highly recommend it. The sunrise is a not to be missed experience......you are above the clouds when the sun rises and it is just breathtaking. I really enjoyed the bike ride.....it was awesome. I looked into many but picked this one because it had the longest guided ride taking you all the way to Paia. The tour guys did a great job keeping us safe. There was a lead cyclist from the tour company and then a van that followed the group. If at anytime anyone felt unsafe, you could put your bike and yourself into the van for the rest of the ride (no one from our group did that.) I also liked the fact that they provide winter gear for you (it is really cold at the top!) If you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to answer them.

Thanks Deb for the reply. We want the guided tour and this one appeals to us. We will probably do the day tour versus the sunrise tour. Getting up at 2am is a little too early and would wreck the rest of the day.

How cold was it at the top of the volcano and what type of outer gear were you supplied with ? Did you have any hot beverages or breakfast supplied before your tour ? Dave

Edited by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL

Thanks Deb for the reply. We want the guided tour and this one appeals to us. We will probably do the day tour versus the sunrise tour. Getting up at 2am is a little too early and would wreck the rest of the day.

How cold was it at the top of the volcano and what type of outer gear were you supplied with ? Did you have any hot beverages or breakfast supplied before your tour ? Dave

It was about 35-40 degrees at the top. They provided pants (windbreaker type), winter jacket, gloves and a helmet. I brought a winter hat from home. I also layered up. I had stretchy yoga pants, jeans, t-shirt, and sweatshirt along with the winter gear they provided. You make several stops on the way down and as it warms up, you can unlayer your clothes and put them in the van. I ended up in my yoga pants and t-shirt by the end.

We had gotten some coffee and pastries from Cadillac on the POA before we left the ship. I believe they also had some coffee and pastries where we were fitted for our gear at the bicycle place if I recall correctly.

It was about 35-40 degrees at the top. They provided pants (windbreaker type), winter jacket, gloves and a helmet. I brought a winter hat from home. I also layered up. I had stretchy yoga pants, jeans, t-shirt, and sweatshirt along with the winter gear they provided. You make several stops on the way down and as it warms up, you can unlayer your clothes and put them in the van. I ended up in my yoga pants and t-shirt by the end.

We had gotten some coffee and pastries from Cadillac on the POA before we left the ship. I believe they also had some coffee and pastries where we were fitted for our gear at the bicycle place if I recall correctly.

Deb - we have all this type of gear from our trip to Alaska. Can we use our own winter gear?

Deb - we have all this type of gear from our trip to Alaska. Can we use our own winter gear?

I don't see why that would be a problem. For me, I just didn't want to drag all that stuff to Hawaii--would have required another suitcase :eek: and we already had 2 each.

I don't see why that would be a problem. For me, I just didn't want to drag all that stuff to Hawaii--would have required another suitcase :eek: and we already had 2 each.

That's true too! Didn't even think of that! We'll have enough stuff for 2 weeks, not sure I want to add stuff that we'll only use once.

• 3 weeks later...

Sailing next year on RCCL. Since ships are tendered in Maui do the tenders run throughout the night or is it best to just take last shuttle ashore as I have heard they pick you up at aprox 3am. Any info apreciated

Sailing next year on RCCL. Since ships are tendered in Maui do the tenders run throughout the night or is it best to just take last shuttle ashore as I have heard they pick you up at aprox 3am. Any info apreciated

We will also be on Radiance next year (in May). I can't imagine that they would run tender boats all night. The tours that I have seen offered by companies like Roberts are definitely more limited from Lahaina compared to Kahului, and I assume that is due to Lahaina being a tender port: http://www.rhshorex.com/shore_excursions.php. I considered booking a hotel near the Lahaina port - until I saw hotel prices! **The Roberts Sunrise at Haleakala tour is only available from Kahului.

Edited by NancyIL

We will also be on Radiance next year (in May). I can't imagine that they would run tender boats all night. The tours that I have seen offered by companies like Roberts are definitely more limited from Lahaina compared to Kahului, and I assume that is due to Lahaina being a tender port: http://www.rhshorex.com/shore_excursions.php. I considered booking a hotel near the Lahaina port - until I saw hotel prices! **The Roberts Sunrise at Haleakala tour is only available from Kahului.

Hopefully they will run late enough into the evening/Morning to be able to do this tour.

Hi Deb,

I have finally booked with Adventure Maui for next Feb and will be doing the daytime tour and not the sunrise tour. They were very good to deal with and I like the idea of no money required up front to secure the deposit and they also have a good cancellation policy.

Thanks again for your input.

Edited by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL

Hi Deb,

I have finally booked with Adventure Maui for next Feb and will be doing the daytime tour and not the sunrise tour. They were very good to deal with and I like the idea of no money required up front to secure the deposit and they also have a good cancellation policy.

Thanks again for your input.

No problem--glad to give input as to what my experience was. I am so jealous of everyone planning their trips to Hawaii--I can't wait to go back someday! Glad you are going to be on the POA when the whales should be there (we missed them by a few weeks.) I hope you come back here to report how you liked it :)

• 2 weeks later...