Anyone been to Saint Tropez?

llarsen

Hi,

We will be visiting Saint Tropez this October on Oceania. We are in port til midnight and wondering if anyone could give some suggestions for things to do. (Besides window shop and eat)

We are wondering if there is public transportation to get us to a few of the nearby towns?

Are there any must see and do's in Saint Tropez?

Thanks!

We took your same itinerary on O in June and thought St. Tropez was a waste of a day in port. But by the end of our busy cruise it wasn't so bad to have a slow day. I just wish it been earlier in the cruise and not so close to the sea day. We walked around the town and were hard pressed to even find anything to take photos of -- I do an album for each cruise and didn't want to leave out a port. I think we were back onboard in a couple hours and spent the afternoon by the pool. The pool got crowded that day as many people did the same. The only option I found in online research was Grimaud (sp?) and the hassle of getting there didn't seem worth it as there wasn't much there either.

Hi,

I had a feeling this port was going to be a flop. I can't really find much tourist type information on it.

For us, Saint Tropez is our second port. We are doing a pre-stay in Barcelona so looks like we will use St Tropez as our day to rest up.

I was hoping public transportion was an option to head over to some other villages since we are there til midnight, but doesn't seem that they have those options.

Thank you for your reply!

I would definitely recommend Grimaud.

It is easy to reach there from St Tropez. Follow the harbour round to near The Pirate sweet shop past the water front cafes etc and you can catch a water taxi to Port Grimaud. Once you have taken a stroll around here you can either make use of the sand beaches located just outside the port or take the land train up into the hills to visit Grimaud village which has lots of interesting shops, nice restaurants, a pretty church and STUNNING views over the gulf of St Tropez and surrounding countryside when you climb up and explore the ruins of the fortress there.

I will try to remember the names of the two water taxi companies and post them later.

St Tropez is an OK (if not tired) sea resort with the typical cafes/restaurants and cute shops found in most sea resorts. We cannot say anything more positive about the place. When we are driving in that part of France we might stop in St Tropez for lunch....but then we would be quickly back in our car and off to more interesting places.

Hank

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Now we are considering renting a car and visiting Grimaud, Ramatuelle and Cogolin.

Cshgrand, I think I read somewhere that the water taxies stop running in October. We will be there on the 11th of October, but we will check them out if we don't get the car, thanks!

Hlitner, I bet you can tell me if these are worth the car rental, or if you recommend any other nearby places?

We love the cobblestone streets and pretty little villages.

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

Now we are considering renting a car and visiting Grimaud, Ramatuelle and Cogolin.

Cshgrand, I think I read somewhere that the water taxies stop running in October. We will be there on the 11th of October, but we will check them out if we don't get the car, thanks!

Hlitner, I bet you can tell me if these are worth the car rental, or if you recommend any other nearby places?

Sorry to say we cannot be of much help. It has been many years since we were driving around that specific part of France (we are usually further East) and on that last trip it was part of a 6 week driving trip from Spain to Nice. Even DW remembers little of that trip other then stopping in Frejus.

Hank

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

That is a pretty loop out of St Tropez. Make sure you also include Gassin near Ramatuelle. All pretty villages and great views. There is a great view spot between Gassin and Ramatuelle at the Moulins de Paillas. You'll see the signs.

Thank you Marazul, I will put that in my notes.

Hank, thanks for the St Paul reply. I asked you another question in that post that maybe you can answer :-)

If you meant your question about the boat services, we know they stop around that time of year but cannot tell you the exact date (which could vary year to year). That is the kind of question we might pose to the local tourist office (in an e-mail) of trying to contact the boat companies.

Hank

• 1 year later...

No response in 1 years to other post-please-help! We would like a private tour for 5 of us to see Saint Tropez, Ramatuelle, Gassin, Grimaud, Antibes, Cogolin. Moulims de Paillas-any suggestions PLEASE. We are going to be there July 1, 2015. Thank you!