Aft versus cabins on the "hump"

Leni

In reading about better cabins,what are the differences between aft cabins and cabins on the hump? Do the aft cabins have smoke issues from the stacks? Do you feel more movement? We have been in a hump cabin but never in an aft. I am debating about booking an aft cabin on the Jewel of the Seas.

I actually just booked an Aft balcony on the Jewel. From what I found out, it looks like they both have thier plus and minus points. Afts are private, quiet, and are not completely enclosed but are far from the elevators and you could feel more vibration when porting. Humps can have bigger balconies(but not all of them!),They are also midship so it should be less motion and are near the elevators but because they are near the elevator there might be more noise.

The walk to and from your cabin is long...not long enough to "burn calories" like alot of folks surmise, but long enough to be a pain in the ass! If you tend to go back and forth many times a day to your cabin, it's better to be closer to stairs! The aft staircase is NOT for passenger use...crew only. Just so you know.

On the Radiance class ships, the aft balconies have no obstuctions and are much deeper than the normal side balconies. The folks at the outdoor WJ seating can see onto those balconies, unless you stay near your balcony door.

Some of the hump balconies (not the center ones, but the ones on the edge of the hump) also have deeper balconies than normal....and they are close to the stairs and elevators.

With only 2 people in a cabin, all of the balconies are quite ample for sitting, reading and oceangazing.

We sailed on the Jewel for a Baltic cruise in cabin #1100..It gave us an amazing true aft wake view and the most spectacular was the sail in/out of Stockholm...actually all our ports had great views from this particular location...So far after many many cruises with RCI #1100 will always be our favorite..This cabin with it's wraparound balcony usually books a year out..that should tell you something about the afts..As far as the walk (and it really isn't)..once you step out on those aft balconies many will agree it is worth every step to get there.:D

We did out first AFT on POA in Hawaii.....while everyone else on the ship is running back and forth from port to starboard to see the sights. you can sit back with your drink and see everything...and you see it longer too. Balcony is larger also. Loved it ....Loved it ...Loved it. AFT's are best!!:D

In reading about better cabins,what are the differences between aft cabins and cabins on the hump? Do the aft cabins have smoke issues from the stacks? Do you feel more movement? We have been in a hump cabin but never in an aft. I am debating about booking an aft cabin on the Jewel of the Seas.

We sailed twice on the Norwegian Jewel (2010 and 2011). Both times we were in an AFT balcony on deck 10. Yes, from what I hear, it is MUCH deeper than a regular balcony (about 8 or 9 feet deep -- it is almost as deep as it is wide). Only one third of the balcony is uncovered, two thirds of the balcony is covered, so if you do not go all the way to the rail, nobody can see you. The balcony actually fits 2 lounge chairs and two regular chairs. The view is beautiful because you can see both sides at the same time.

Yes, it is far from the opposite side of the ship, but at the same time, nobody walks past your cabin so it is really private and quiet. We are spoiled. We will not sail now unless it is in an aft balcony, even though we are considering maybe trying out a suite.

On the other hand, we never sailed in a regular balcony on the side of the ship. Another thing to consider, the aft balcony has almost no wind while at sea, that's another reason we enjoy our aft balcony. I do not think the two balcony cabins on decks 8 or 9 are as deep as deck 10, but since I never stayed in one of them, nor a side balcony, I cannot tell you that for sure.

Which ever cabin you choose, your cruise will be wonderful.

Enjoy :)

Aft convert here!!! We will not book a cruise unless we can get an aft cabin!

And my oldest DD is not thrilled about walking a distance, but she will happily trek to the back of the ship to the cabin just to sit on the balcony and watch the wake or the sunset. Views are spectacular and you actually see them long enough to step in the cabin and grab your camera.

Archived