Native Choice your food

angeleyes27

We were thinking of taking the Mayan Experience tour. I like seeing different cultures but I have a very sensitive stomach. I can't handle anything spicy, different sauces, am allergic to seafood, etc. Food generally has to be bland for me or else I can have extreme heartburn for hours or diarrhea or get sick. I am not sure what kind of food is served. Thank you

hopefully some one can tell you what they ate. You can reach out to Native Choice and ask them what is typically served. I believe those going to the Blue Lagoon had more traditional Yucatan style dishes, which can be spicy with chiles and cumin etc. The tours with lunches served at a Mayan village, mostly emphasizes maize, a staple in Maya diets, in the form of tortillas. There is a dish, Poc Chuc, that is slow cooked pork in a sour orange juice and vinegar. If they serve avocados, they'll most likely be closer to Guatemalan avocados which are more yellow and buttery in flavor than the typical avocados you buy here. Plantains are common. But Mayans tended to use lots of spices so you may have some difficulty finding blander food. I suggest you bring along some packaged snacks to ease your hunger if there's nothing on the menu your stomach may accept.

Edited by crewsweeper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You should be fine. I was actually hoping for the food to be spicier than it was and was pretty disappointed. It was all delicious, but definitely did not have the kick I was looking for. They did have two different types of chicken, one was very mild and one was a bit spicy. The rice and veggies were also very mild. The home made tortillas were absolutely delicious. The full day tour with Native Choice was the highlight of our cruise!

• 1 month later...

True Yucatan/southern Mexican food is generally flavorful and, even though they use peppers in their cooking, not very spicy. Sometimes it can even be a little sweet from the plantains and other root vegetables. The spicy stuff you might think of as "Mexican" food is really "Tex-Mex", or from the far northern part of Mexico.

However, if you have a finicky stomach, its probably best to stay away from anything you're not used to. Plus they're not generally going to make alterations for your dietary restrictions on a food tour. I'd hate to have issues for the remainder of the cruise.

Check Trip Advisor to find quite a few reviews. I imagine some might go into the food.

I wrote to Native Choice. They felt it was better for me to take the tour without the meal. I once got sick after taking 2 spoonfuls of a soup that was spicy. And I have had hives for 2 weeks after eating food that was cooked with seafood. Anything that is unusual can be a problem for me. My father is the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Forums