Skagway - White Pass Train - Mobility Issues

LeDemonBlond

On this trip, I'm going with my Dad (80 ) who has mobility issues. He can walk for about a block and then has to stop and rest. Mild COPD, 2 artificial hips and 1 artificial knee. Were taking his walker with us plus have arranged for a wheelchair to be with us as well. The wheelchair is more of a pre-caution in case my Dad is having a tough time.

We have typically not booked cruise line excursions but with my Dad I'm thinking we will. I just think it would be easier for him.

My Dad would like to take the White Pass train in Skagway. As the excursion picks up/returns to the dock. I know it can accommodate wheelchairs but I'm thinking he might not need it. I'm thinking he should be ok with just his walker but would like to ask others with mobility issues who have taken the train on what their thoughts would be?

Edited by BobbyOrr

I remember the last time we were in Skagway, the train loaded from the end of the pier. It was a long pier, but there was a courtesy golf cart that could bring someone who needed it to the end of the pier where the train was. That was two years ago. SOmeone more recent will comment, I'm sure. The bigger problem may be climbing up into the train.

I would suggest using the wheelchair, as it still could be more than a "blocks" worth of a walk to your car. They have a wheel chair lift on one car, so you likely would need to disclose this to the shore excursion staff for the right assignment, also the ability to sell seats correctly.

Be sure when you board the ship that you let them know about the mobility issue at the excursion desk (if booked through Princess). It is the only way they can guarantee that the train car needed for wheelchairs etc will be on that train.

The train car for mobility issues has a flat platform type lift that allows someone in a wheelchair to roll onto it, be lifted up, and then roll into the train car. Whoever is with them, can be on the platform too.

My friend and her husband used this and it made it great for her and easy to go on this excursion. They and my husband all were together in the same car. If steps are an issue, you would want to be certain that there would be space on the special train car.

When I was originally doing research (a while back) I was told they needed to notify Princess Excursion Desk as soon as they boarded/next day.

They did the excursion that went up to the top, switches the engine from the front to the back, then comes back down the mountain. At the top (stop) you are asked to switch sides of the train. So if you were on the left side going up, you are on the opposite side coming down. The seat backs flip and lock in so you have support going up and coming down the mountain.

By switching seats, everyone gets 1/2 of the excursion with the best views. If I remember correctly, going up the left side sees the most. The scenery is wonderful either way but it is fantastic that they have people switch sides at the top. That way no one misses out.

Edited by MilliesMom

Here are two photos I took from our balcony of the train and the mobility car. We literally were docked right across from the train. HOWEVER, depending on where you are assigned docking there can be a bit (not more than a block) of walking IF you book through the ship. If you book the excursion on your own, you have to go into town to catch the train.

The photos show the lift and also our friend with her husband on the lift. I put arrows on the photos to show you more detail.

WhitePassTrain1.jpg.310a6723073f39ac4322b7a26b9b8cf9.jpg

WhitePassTrain2.jpg.e5395892dcccfef1780ef7aa7e37738e.jpg

Let's see if these will be larger/better photos. No arrows on these. Again of the lift train car.

Thank you for the pictures! We will be taking this excursion in May,(Radiance) and my Son requires a wheelchair. We have 8 people total in our party, and I was told through the cruise line that I can't pre book the accessible car or make sure we are all in said accessible car together. Was told we will have to go to the excursion desk when we get on board and let them know. Does this sound right to all that have done this?

Thanks

Thank you for the pictures! We will be taking this excursion in May,(Radiance) and my Son requires a wheelchair. We have 8 people total in our party, and I was told through the cruise line that I can't pre book the accessible car or make sure we are all in said accessible car together. Was told we will have to go to the excursion desk when we get on board and let them know. Does this sound right to all that have done this?

Thanks

Yes, that is exactly what we were told too. We made the normal reservations on-line precruise for the 3 of them. Then once we boarded the ship and the excursion desk was open, we then let them know of the need for the accessible train car. My husband boarded with our friends, no problem.

I'm sure if there are a great number of people in wheelchairs that it could impact how many others could be in the car too. People in wheel chairs should have the priority plus 1 person to be with them.

My husband said that when he was on the train, it was fairly easy to walk from one train car to the other. So if you could not all be in the same car, then try to get the train car on either side for the extra people.

Thanks

I would book with White Pass Direct. Is it just the train you wish to take? Or are you doing a combo tour?

IF just the train, if you call the White Pass, in May you should get at least your son and 2 caregivers on, the lift car. You may NOT all be able to go in the lift car depending on numbers of others needing it. The seating is limited and actually have seats removed for wheelchairs. Not sure of the numbers, pure guessing, maybe 15 seats, for 2? I hope you can accept this limitation, and split up if needed.

I would book with White Pass Direct. Is it just the train you wish to take? Or are you doing a combo tour?

IF just the train, if you call the White Pass, in May you should get at least your son and 2 caregivers on, the lift car. You may NOT all be able to go in the lift car depending on numbers of others needing it. The seating is limited and actually have seats removed for wheelchairs. Not sure of the numbers, pure guessing, maybe 15 seats, for 2? I hope you can accept this limitation, and split up if needed.

Definitely worth calling the train office too.

When we went on our cruise, I called them first also. They told us to book through the ship and just be sure the excursion desk knew we needed a train car with lift for our friend.

Remember if you book through the train office, you have to get into town to catch the train. It can be a bit of a walk but mostly flat. One area of train tracks to go over.

from their website: All Summit Excursion trains are wheelchair accessible. However, space is limited in lift-equipped cars. Please let us know when reserving your seats if you or anyone in your party will require the lift to get onto the train.

This link will show you the inside of one of the regular train cars: http://www.mendosa.com/fitnessblog/?p=7852

Edited by MilliesMom

Definitely worth calling the train office too.

When we went on our cruise, I called them first also. They told us to book through the ship and just be sure the excursion desk knew we needed a train car with lift for our friend.

Remember if you book through the train office, you have to get into town to catch the train. It can be a bit of a walk but mostly flat. One area of train tracks to go over.

from their website: All Summit Excursion trains are wheelchair accessible. However, space is limited in lift-equipped cars. Please let us know when reserving your seats if you or anyone in your party will require the lift to get onto the train.

This link will show you the inside of one of the regular train cars: http://www.mendosa.com/fitnessblog/?p=7852

I've pushed my husband's w/c from all the Skagway docks. :) So have only considered that point of view. :) Yep, crossing the tracks- you need to go over backwards.