Transportation from Barcelona Airport to Hotel Montblanc

We will be arriving a few days early for our cruise which means we will not be taking the cruise line shuttle from the airport. Taxi fee is €29.14 on weekends (I am thinking Friday may be counted as the weekend) and €39.50 for private car. I am leaning towards the taxi since I checked it out online rather than getting the private car which I can also book online. I would like to hear how others got from the airport to the hotel. Thanks!

Taxi fare breakdown

Jump in the taxi

2.10 €

15.64 km. x 1.03 € per km

16.11 €

Waiting in traffic (~11 min.)

4.20 €

Airport surcharge

4.20 €

Total

26.61 €

On a weekend it would be

29.14 €

Edited by Linda the Book Lover
random script from website

1.) Friday is a weekday

2.) Taxis have different fares depending not only whether it's a weekday or a weekend but also on the time of the day (fares T1, T2 and T3): http://taxi.amb.cat/documents/956832/1007019/Tarifa+Taxi_2017/23e065d2-2639-4731-a6c4-edbcf7c3df22 Roughly speaking, T1 is for weekday 8am-8pm, T2 for weekday 8pm-8am and T3 for the rest (again, roughly speaking, cause there are some bits and pieces that apply here and there. If you're interested in these particulars you'll have to do a google search)

3.) Not knowing which exact date and time you're intending to take a taxi, nor your hotel address, it's difficult to assess whether your no doubt *machine-calculated* estimate can be realistic. As a rule of thumb, a taxi airport-Plaça Catalunya (considered "the centre"), it's likely to cost around 32-35€

4.) You don't need to pre-book a taxi. The airport taxi rank holds +1200 taxis and the service is quite fluid -with some rare exceptions.

5.) Airport exit surcharge is 3.10€ and there's also an additional charge for each suitcase bigger than a certain size. Fare T1 per each km is 1.10€, not 1.03€

Edited by EnricM

Linda,

Not related to your question...

I see your nickname indicates you love books... there are plenty of books -other than travel guides of course- in which Barcelona is portrayed. Among them, there's a bestseller that features one of the main churches in the city, Santa Maria del Mar, and it recounts the history of her construction in the 14th century. It's not a history book, but a novel and it was quite a sensation here in Europe when it was published in 2009. So, since many *bookworms* --take it affectionally, huh? :)) -- love to visit those places they have read about in novels I thought this one might catch your interest: https://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Sea-Novel-Ildefonso-Falcones/dp/B002HREKEQ If your interest is in different themes, say spots where famous movies have been shot for example, there's also a book about that; if it's about art, for example, a collection of Modernist doors of buildings in the city, there's also one about that, etc. etc. As a sample, here a piece of news published a few years back by the British The Guardian about "10 of the best books set in Barcelona": https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/jun/08/top-10-books-barcelona-burgess

Enjoy!

• 1.) Friday is a weekday

2.) Taxis have different fares depending not only whether it's a weekday or a weekend but also on the time of the day (fares T1, T2 and T3): http://taxi.amb.cat/documents/956832/1007019/Tarifa+Taxi_2017/23e065d2-2639-4731-a6c4-edbcf7c3df22 Roughly speaking, T1 is for weekday 8am-8pm, T2 for weekday 8pm-8am and T3 for the rest (again, roughly speaking, cause there are some bits and pieces that apply here and there. If you're interested in these particulars you'll have to do a google search)

3.) Not knowing which exact date and time you're intending to take a taxi, nor your hotel address, it's difficult to assess whether your no doubt *machine-calculated* estimate can be realistic. As a rule of thumb, a taxi airport-Plaça Catalunya (considered "the centre"), it's likely to cost around 32-35€

4.) You don't need to pre-book a taxi. The airport taxi rank holds +1200 taxis and the service is quite fluid -with some rare exceptions.

5.) Airport exit surcharge is 3.10€ and there's also an additional charge for each suitcase bigger than a certain size. Fare T1 per each km is 1.10€, not 1.03€

hcc montblanc Via Laietana 61 Barcelona, Barcelona 08003

Arriving t1 at 8:55am. I used this taxi site to get the figures in my question. Just trying to get an idea of what others used and thoughts on both choices. Thanks for your help!

Linda,

Not related to your question...

I see your nickname indicates you love books... there are plenty of books -other than travel guides of course- in which Barcelona is portrayed. Among them, there's a bestseller that features one of the main churches in the city, Santa Maria del Mar, and it recounts the history of her construction in the 14th century. It's not a history book, but a novel and it was quite a sensation here in Europe when it was published in 2009. So, since many *bookworms* --take it affectionally, huh? :)) -- love to visit those places they have read about in novels I thought this one might catch your interest: https://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Sea-Novel-Ildefonso-Falcones/dp/B002HREKEQ If your interest is in different themes, say spots where famous movies have been shot for example, there's also a book about that; if it's about art, for example, a collection of Modernist doors of buildings in the city, there's also one about that, etc. etc. As a sample, here a piece of news published a few years back by the British The Guardian about "10 of the best books set in Barcelona": https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2011/jun/08/top-10-books-barcelona-burgess

Enjoy!

Thanks once again this time for Barcelona novels. I will check to see if one catches my fancy. I have been reading a few tour books etc. and plan on one day doing a full day tour. Excited about finally seeing Barcelona.😀

What I said... around 32-35€ in normal circumstances noting that 8am-10am is rush hour (people going to work, mommies leaving kids at school, deliveries all over the city, etc.)

There are several ways to go from the airport to the city other than taxi (metro, bus, train...) but in your case, there's a clear winner alternative to taxis: Aerobus. From T1 you ride to the end in Plaça Catalunya and then it's literally a 5' walk to your hotel. And all for 5.90€ p.p. !!

What I said... around 32-35€ in normal circumstances noting that 8am-10am is rush hour (people going to work, mommies leaving kids at school, deliveries all over the city, etc.)

There are several ways to go from the airport to the city other than taxi (metro, bus, train...) but in your case, there's a clear winner alternative to taxis: Aerobus. From T1 you ride to the end in Plaça Catalunya and then it's literally a 5' walk to your hotel. And all for 5.90€ p.p. !!

Like Linda we are seniors and for that reason we are also looking at a taxi or transfer for 4 of us. Iss the aerobus difficult to lug luggage onto and off? We will each have 1 large suitcase and a carry-on, plus purse or backpack.