Juneau & Skagway Questions

tapia

I'm still not positive about some things (including some logistics), for my trip but I have some questions and I was hoping people could provide advice?

Some background:

First, I'm going to Alaska the end of June/beginning of July 2007. It will be me, DH & my parents. We're all really excited and have been doing some major planning. I know it's really early, but I want to get the things I want. If I have to do it really early to get it, that's fine with me.

After a lot of thought, I booked on Celebrity (aft cabin!!!): Itinerary: Seward, Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point, Ketchikan, Vancoover (not in that order)

After much consideration, here are some of the activities I will be doing:

Land

Denali National Park

Flightseeing Mt. McKinley (I have 2 possibly days for this and am hoping for good weather.) I'm told fog is usually not a huge factor in the times I'm going.

Katmai with an overnight at Brooks Lodge [booked] katmailand.com --You fly to King Salmon & then Brooks Lodge for Bear Viewing

Train to Seward

Kenai Fjords Tour (probably toursaver--waiting for the 2007 book to come out]

Cruise

Icy Strait Point: Booked with Keith for Whale Watching

Ketchikan: Booked with Northern Lights--Ken--fishing

Okay, here's where I come to issues.....

Juneau: First I thought I wanted to go dog sledding on a glacier. But, I see how expensive this can be. Since I'm spending quite a bit of money in other parts of the tour, I don't know if I want to spend the $400 a person ($800 for DH & I) for this here. So, I was thinking of going dog-carting in Seward and doing something else here.

Then I read about Taku. Since I want to do a Salmon Bake, this sounds really nice (especially with the viewing by air). But, given the $200 difference to the dog sledding, I'm not sure if it's worth it not to do that.

Which has better flightseeing?

Should I just do Mendenhall Glacier & a Salmon Bake (all on ground) here?

I'm a little concerned I'm doing too much air. Any opinions? How great are the above?

Skagway: I'm torn between a couple things here. The Glacier Wilderness Safari, White Pass Rail . . . Are there preferences?

I love wildlife and scenery, but am not sure what to do here. Does anyone have suggestions?

Help?

Ok, based on what I heard on my cruise, Mendenhall Glacier should not be missed, but the salmon bake was barely so-so.

I personally took the White Pass and highly recommend it. There are a ton of fantastic sights to see and photo ops.

And if you're debating about spending the money on one excursion or the other, go with your gut. Go with what you REALLY want to do above all else. It sounds to me like you want to do the dogsledding tour. I didn't hear of anyone taking that particular tour on my last cruise, but I've read many reviews that recommend it.

Hope that helps some! :)

Ok, based on what I heard on my cruise, Mendenhall Glacier should not be missed, but the salmon bake was barely so-so.

I personally took the White Pass and highly recommend it. There are a ton of fantastic sights to see and photo ops.

And if you're debating about spending the money on one excursion or the other, go with your gut. Go with what you REALLY want to do above all else. It sounds to me like you want to do the dogsledding tour. I didn't hear of anyone taking that particular tour on my last cruise, but I've read many reviews that recommend it.

Hope that helps some! :)

Thanks for replying! I did read your review and copies the salmon bake part into my ever growing Alaska file.

Supposedly, the Salmon at Taku is very good. But, I think you swayed me away from the Salmon part on the ground. (I don't like being herded.)

I really do want to do dogsledding. But, I think the money is just too much (on top of everything else) since my trip is getting very costly. I figure, I could make up for it in Seward with the cart ride.....

All I can say is if this truly be a "once in a lifetime" trip for you, do what you want to do and cost be damned. If you know you'll return some day, then put it on the back burner and do something else.

All I can say is if this truly be a "once in a lifetime" trip for you, do what you want to do and cost be damned. If you know you'll return some day, then put it on the back burner and do something else.

I KNOW I'll come back some day--but, that day may not be for 20 years. So, I'm trying to do as much as I can this time......

*Can you tell I'm being indecisive?*

I really do want to do dogsledding. But, I think the money is just too much (on top of everything else) since my trip is getting very costly. I figure, I could make up for it in Seward with the cart ride.....

I can't say one way or another regarding the cart ride in Seward, but we did go dogsledding on a glacier out of Juneau (helicopter ride and all!). It was one of the BEST excursions we took! There were 9 of us that went (2 helicopters) -- from my son who was 5 at the time, to his then 71 year old grandmother. There wasn't one face without a huge grin on it!

Yes it was expensive, but we thought it was well worth it.

As I said, I can't speak from experience regarding the cart ride in Seward... But dogsledding on dirt vs. dogsledding on a glacier... My vote goes for the glacier!

Whatever you decide -- Have a great trip! I'm assuming you're traveling on the Summit southbound? If I'm correct, we'll be getting on in Vancouver as you disembark. Take good care of the ship for us, and keep your fingers crossed that the weather gods are good to us both!

Thank you so much for responding!

Can you tell me who you booked with and what other excursions you did?

I agree--the glacier sledding is 100% better on the glacier. It's just a matter of money at this point..........

Yes, I'm going Southbound on June 29th 2007. PRAYING for good weather!

I thought you were going this summer :)!!!

We booked our dogsled tour through a website called shoretrips.com

They were quite a bit cheaper than booking it through the ship. If I'm remembering correctly, we flew with Coastal Helicopters out of Juneau. They were absolutely fantastic! My mom has mobility problems and uses a walker. The helped her get in the helicopter, and once we landed, two of the guides brought one of the dogsleds over to the helicopter. They helped her get out and get settled on the dogsled, and then they pulled it over to where the dogs were waiting and hooked it up. She never had to worry about walking on the snow! Also, when the dogsledding part was over and we got to go pet the dogs, one of the guides brought over a beautiful husky to where my mom was still sitting on the dogsled. He (the dog, not the guide ;) ) put his head in my mom's lap and was just content to sit there while she petted him. This was absolutely the highlight of my mom's trip to Alaska!

We are headed back in about 3 weeks, but this time we are doing a northbound trip on July 1st out of Vancouver. Last time we did a round trip out of Vancouver. Once we get to Seward, we're renting an RV and doing a land "cruise" on our own. We can't wait!

Good luck with your planning! I'm sure whatever you do, you'll have a great time!

Oops! Just realized you asked what other excursions we did... Last time, in Skagway we took the train up and a bus tour back. In Ketchikan, we kayaked and then saw the lumberjack show. This time, in Juneau we're taking the trolley and checking out the various museums. We may also go to the Mendenhall Glacier on our own. In Skagway, it will be the 4th of July, so we're going to check out the parade and other things that will be going on in the city. We're also taking a Garden Gourmet tour (my mom wants to do this, so we're humoring her...). In Sitka, we're doing a Russian History City tour and then going to the Raptor Center in the morning, and kayaking in the afternoon. And in Hoonah, we're going on a sightseeing/bear watching tour. Hope this is helpful...

LOL~Sorry, no. I suppose you are going this summer--I'm SO jealous!!!!! I want to try to book most things independantly & in advance so I get what I want. (I hear the cabins at Brooks Lodge are really hard to get, so I'm thrilled I got one.)

Wow, your mom's trip sounds amazing. You're convincing me further about the dog sledding!!!!

I'm sure you'll have a great time on the land tour as well!

Did you like the Skagway train & scenery?

Yes, everything is VERY helpful, thank you!!!!!!!!!!

At this point, I'm just wondering between Taku and Dog Sledding what's better. Anyone do both? I wonder which one you can see better when flying?

Being a lot can happen in a year, I wouldn't be so firm with your choices at this point.

If an option, perhaps family would be glad to offer cash toward your glacier dog sledding, instead of a Christmas, birthday, anniversary etc gift?? Pay yourself- skip out on movies, lunches/dinners out etc and put that money each time in an account. You probably will be surprised at the amount in another year.

I have done both a cart ride and real dog sledding, just no comparism. It is a top tour choice. But I also do not recommend using a booking agent, it is simple to just book direct with venders, get accurate information and only one source to contend with.

In my opinion, there can never be too much flying in Alaska. :)

In my opinion, there can never be too much flying in Alaska. :)

Thanks for your advice. Do you think the flying to the Taku lodge or on the way to dog sledding is better scenery-wise?

We also were torn re the dog sledding because of the price, but have to say we were so glad that we did it. Never even THOUGHT of doing it on the wheels. If you are going to dog sled you HAVE to do the REAL thing! If you just want to see dogs then go to the free demo at Denali. The dog sledding on a glacier is the best because you have the helicopter ride, so it's really like two tours in one. I would eliminate the salmon bake. Let's face it, you are paying for all the food on your tour, so why spend extra money for food??? Put it towards the dog sled on a glacier instead. It was the highlight of our trip!

Everyone's convincing me to go for it. I'm already counting my change for this trip, so I'll just have to count some more....

I heard dog sledding on a glacier is the most cancelled excursion--why? Weather?

Everyone's convincing me to go for it. I'm already counting my change for this trip, so I'll just have to count some more....

I heard dog sledding on a glacier is the most cancelled excursion--why? Weather?

We had heard that also re cancelling. It definitely would be because of weather. We took the chance and were lucky I guess. If it ended up being cancelled, we still would not do the wheel one. Just looks too corny to me. We knew that we would see the demo at Denali, so that if it was cancelled at least we would see the dogs. As it turned out, we did the dog sled and then never went to the demo in Denali.

We had heard that also re cancelling. It definitely would be because of weather. We took the chance and were lucky I guess. If it ended up being cancelled, we still would not do the wheel one. Just looks too corny to me. We knew that we would see the demo at Denali, so that if it was cancelled at least we would see the dogs. As it turned out, we did the dog sled and then never went to the demo in Denali.

Did you go with Coastal or some other company?

I just need to pray for good weather when we go!

Did you go with Coastal or some other company?

I just need to pray for good weather when we go!

We booked all our excusions through the ship. From what I've learned on these boards, there is only one company that does the helicopter tours, so it's the same company through the ship or not. I think only the boat tours whale watching, etc. have different companies to book through. My experience told me that if you book through the ship in ports that you tender, you have preference in getting off the ship and if your tour is back late, the ship will wait for you.

I am researching my alaskan cruise right now and purposely want one that stops in Skagway so I can go on the railroad. Also, a friend took the railroad and liked/recommended it. Also, I'm of the thinking that you can only find a railroad in Skagway, yet you can find wilderness at other ports.

Then again, I like railroads. My husband and I took one in Durango (4 hours one way then 1 hour bus back) and I really liked it but he got a bit bored after a while. So it depends on your tastes

We booked all our excusions through the ship. From what I've learned on these boards, there is only one company that does the helicopter tours, so it's the same company through the ship or not. I think only the boat tours whale watching, etc. have different companies to book through. My experience told me that if you book through the ship in ports that you tender, you have preference in getting off the ship and if your tour is back late, the ship will wait for you.

No there are 3 companies that do glacier dog sledding, ship contractors- ERA and TEMSCO, independent - Coastal, sometimes TEMSCO. Usually ERA is totally ship contracted. These are out of Juneau and this is the most canceled port for these tours- all weather related.

Skagway has TEMSCO, usually they will direct book a few seats- cheaper pricing, but you need to book very early since they are the only operator in Skagway and the ship contractor.

No there are 3 companies that do glacier dog sledding, ship contractors- ERA and TEMSCO, independent - Coastal, sometimes TEMSCO. Usually ERA is totally ship contracted. These are out of Juneau and this is the most canceled port for these tours- all weather related.

Skagway has TEMSCO, usually they will direct book a few seats- cheaper pricing, but you need to book very early since they are the only operator in Skagway and the ship contractor.

Since we did our dog sled in Skagway, I guess that's what I meant. Skagway has only TEMSCO and it was right near the dock. We booked early. It was GREAT!!! Guess we picked the right place to do it re weather and cancelling:D

Reading your original questions - Juneau & Skagway???

Last summer in Juneau we did a whale watch with Capt. Larry, and then went for a helicopter ride to a glacier (Herbert, right next to Mendenhal as I recall) and it was wonderful.

In Skagway, we did the White Pass RR and our friends did the Float Trip through the Eagle preserve. We both were happy with our choices.

I hope that helps. :)

We decided to do the whale watch in Icy Strait Point instead of Juneau. So, that's out. What helicopter ride to a glacier did you do? Company?

Do you, by any chance, have pictures of the White Pass RR or the Float Trip through the Eagle preserve? Did they see lots of Eagles?

We decided to do the whale watch in Icy Strait Point instead of Juneau. So, that's out. What helicopter ride to a glacier did you do? Company?

Do you, by any chance, have pictures of the White Pass RR or the Float Trip through the Eagle preserve? Did they see lots of Eagles?

We used Coastal for the helicopter ride and walk about on Herbert Glacier.

My friends said they saw tons of eagles on the float trip, but I don't have access to their photos. Mine can be seen at http://community.webshots.com/user/lovecruisn. There is a Juneau album for the glacier pics, and WPRR pics are in the Skagway album.

If my husband knew what I paid for anything on this trip, we would still be on the sofa. Juneau Dog Sledding on the glacier was the highlight of our trip. I actually heard my 13 year old son say "this is awesome". I NEVER hear those words from him. There is no way sledding on dirt could even come close; the atmosphere, the surrounding ice and snow covered moutains, we felt like we had been dropped in Narnia. To make up for this expensive excursion, I rented a car in Skagway and did our own driving excursion to save money.

Just think...

Since your trip is a whole year away... If saved $2 a day for a year, you'd have almost enough money saved for two of you to go dogsledding. It's definitely worth it (in my opinion)...

Archived