Dinner in Juneau?

cruisin'mama

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for dinner in Juneau that has more than fish? I will have my teenagers with me that are really not fish eaters, so I would like to find some place that has good fish, but a big variety of other food as well. Thanks!

The Hangar and the Fish are owned, managed and staffed by the same folks. You can usually find last week's special at the Twisted Fish this week at the Hangar, etc... Similar menus, but each has a nice variety of everything they serve. I find the interior of the fish a bit loud if I want to have a conversation, but I have selective hearing, and any crowded place makes it a little tough on my "old ears"...

-Case

We were in Juneau a few weeks ago and had the most "delish" Alaskan King Crab Legs at the "Twisted Fish". The price was not cheap...BUT...well worth it!!

(about the same price we paid for lobster in Maine)

My sister-in-law ordered the scalloped potatoes, that came as "a choice of" with "the legs", while I was less adventurous and ordered the french fries. If you go there....order the scalloped potatoes!!! I sampled them, and they were wonderful!! So, bottom line, my vote is for "Twisted Fish", right on the pier!:D

Twisted Fish wasn't open on my recent trip, (I did ask them why not?? :) ) But I did eat at the Hanger, halibut basket with drink about $15?? 3 of us ate all different stuff, so not 100% sure?? But should be ball park.

I see many people asking about restaurants in various port. I'm wondering why so many people are not eating on the ship. Is it just for local flavor(pun intended) or are the meals not just good on the ships? As far as I'm concerned we'll probably go back to the ship for meals unless we're on an excursion. Of course this is our first cruise so maybe I'm missing something. With four of us, I'd think I'd rather spend the money on better meals on our cruise tour or excursions. Please explain the benefit. Thanks

Except for a sandwich in Ketchikan, and the "Crab Legs" in Juneau, we ate all our meals on the ship.

In Ketchikan, we were having so much fun from just walking around, and looking at "Creek Street", etc., that we didn't want to stop and go back to the ship for lunch. So, we didn't.

We were on the Carnival Spirit, and while there was an abundance of Salmon selections on the menu, there were no Alaskan Crab Legs!! I could be wrong, but I don't think any of the cruise ships serve them. So, after researching ahead of time, as to where to go for Alaskan Crab Legs, someone on this website recommended "Twisted Fish" in Juneau, and we were not disappointed. The food on our ship was excellant. A variety of choices, in both the dining room and buffet tables.

I see many people asking about restaurants in various port. I'm wondering why so many people are not eating on the ship. Is it just for local flavor(pun intended) or are the meals not just good on the ships? As far as I'm concerned we'll probably go back to the ship for meals unless we're on an excursion. Of course this is our first cruise so maybe I'm missing something. With four of us, I'd think I'd rather spend the money on better meals on our cruise tour or excursions. Please explain the benefit. Thanks

I have to say I agree with you when we cruise in the Caribbean feeling: Why spend extra bucks on shore when we can eat on the ship. In Alaska though I'm so glad we ate while in port in Juneau. We chose the Thane Ore House and SO glad we did! We went out with Capt Larry and asked the van driver where she would recommend. She mentioned the Thane Ore House and even called them for us. They came into town and picked us up and after our delicious salmon bake , drove us back to town!

I haven't been to Alaska yet, but - going back to the ship to eat can be rather time-consuming, especially if you aren't in port all day. I am including one meal per port town as part of our overall trip budget. I look at it as part of the cost of the "excursion."

When I cruise, I always eat off the ship when I'm in a port. I love to experience the local cuisine. And the best place for Alaskan King Crab Legs...well, let's just say I hope it is AK. ;)

I have never made a special trip back to the ship to eat, or scheduled an excursion around a meal time. Of course this time I am on NCL and that is a mute issue.

We typically would go back to the ship for meals too especially dinner. However, I can see if you arrive in the afternoon in a port and have a limited amount of time there, it might be easier to grab a bite in a local restaurant rather than going back to the ship to eat.

Hate to keep thinking in terms of $$$ but can you give prices @ Thane Orr House? Said took you out so how far is it. First time I've seen this one. Hoping to also go w/Capt. Larry so this sounds interesting. Def. don't want to go back & forth to ship. We're only there for lunch so is it open then? TIA.

Alaska fish if just superb. NO WHERE else can you get it in my opinion. The ship's "fish" is grossly substandard. On my interior travels, I eat Halibut or salmon every day- sometimes twice. :) Then I come home and wait for the delights until the next trip.

Hate to keep thinking in terms of $$$ but can you give prices @ Thane Orr House? Said took you out so how far is it. First time I've seen this one. Hoping to also go w/Capt. Larry so this sounds interesting. Def. don't want to go back & forth to ship. We're only there for lunch so is it open then? TIA.

I didn't go this year, so I will leave the pricing to a current poster, but it is only 4 miles south of the dock. I spent about $15 at the Hanger this year.

Just thought i'd mention for those of you who might actually get tired of all the great seafood 'n stuff...in the same building as The Hanger, there is a really good Italian Restaurant (dont' recall the name, but it's an obvious place--right on the north corner). Good food and great pizza!

There's also a very good restaurant/lounge on the south corner of that building as well.

I haven't been there for a couple years. But I used to spend a lot of time in Juneau. The Prospector Hotel has a great restaurant. My husgand loves the Halibut, I love the King Crab & we have friends who swear by the steaks. Enjoy!

Can anyone recommend a restaurant for dinner in Juneau that has more than fish? I will have my teenagers with me that are really not fish eaters' date=' so I would like to find some place that has good fish, but a big variety of other food as well. Thanks![/quote']

My 13 year-old ate a hamburger in Juneau that was undercooked. being a typical kid, he continued to eat it because it "tasted all right". Dad is the one who spotted the red meat, but it was too late. I realize this could happen anywhere, but the restaurant was VERY busy with all of the tourists and didn't spend the proper time cooking the food. He was extremely ill for about 30 hours. Severe vomiting and abdominal pain. Fortunately he was in bed during Glacier Bay and didn't miss any ports. BE CAREFUL.

Archived