Visa Requirements

MidShip14

Hi All

Sorry if this has been asked before.

We are Flying to Barbados next year to pick up the new P&O Britannia for a 15 night Caribbean Cruise. Do we need Visas?

We've previously always flown to the USA whenever we've had a Caribbean Cruise and this will be the first time that we have flown direct to a 'port'

Thanks in anticipation.

You will only need an ESTA if one of your ports is US soil. Such as the US Virgin Islands, as opposed to the British Virgin Islands. And San Juan rings a bell. Others will doubtless chip in with any other US port that might be on your itinerary.

You'll not need visas in any of the other ports.

P&O fly-cruises to Barbados, like other UK lines to Barbados, Jamaica, Dom Rep, are seamless.

Most passengers are carried on chartered aircraft (incl the Dreamliner) from regional airports - everyone on the flight is on the cruise. When you land your aircraft taxis to the apron alongside the perimeter road & you go from aircraft to bus to ship. No immigration, no baggage carousel (all luggage is unloaded into trucks & taken to the ship), no customs, you don't even go into the airport terminal.

On your final day you have the run of the ship (except your cabin) until your flight transfer is called, usually mid-pm. if your flight is delayed, your transfer will be as well, so no spending hours at the airport.

Some passengers are assigned seats on scheduled flights - BA I think.

The routine for them is the usual airport formalities.

One of those occasions when a charter is way better than a scheduled flight.

JB :)

You will only need an ESTA if one of your ports is US soil. Such as the US Virgin Islands, as opposed to the British Virgin Islands. And San Juan rings a bell. Others will doubtless chip in with any other US port that might be on your itinerary.

You'll not need visas in any of the other ports.

P&O fly-cruises to Barbados, like other UK lines to Barbados, Jamaica, Dom Rep, are seamless.

Most passengers are carried on chartered aircraft (incl the Dreamliner) from regional airports - everyone on the flight is on the cruise. When you land your aircraft taxis to the apron alongside the perimeter road & you go from aircraft to bus to ship. No immigration, no baggage carousel (all luggage is unloaded into trucks & taken to the ship), no customs, you don't even go into the airport terminal.

On your final day you have the run of the ship (except your cabin) until your flight transfer is called, usually mid-pm. if your flight is delayed, your transfer will be as well, so no spending hours at the airport.

Some passengers are assigned seats on scheduled flights - BA I think.

The routine for them is the usual airport formalities.

One of those occasions when a charter is way better than a scheduled flight.

Visa requirements depend on one's country of citizenship. Though OP's CC information states location as South East England one should not assume that the OP is a U.K. Citizen.

Visa requirements depend on one's country of citizenship. Though OP's CC information states location as South East England one should not assume that the OP is a U.K. Citizen.

Yes, I'm happy to assume that the OP is a Brit.

When folk include a location in their CC header it makes it easier to answer all sorts of questions like this.

If the OP isn't a Brit they'd have had the sense to say so.

Or be too dumb to even find their way to the airport. :rolleyes:

JB :) (in can't-be-bothered-with-pedantics mood ;))

Yes, I'm happy to assume that the OP is a Brit.

When folk include a location in their CC header it makes it easier to answer all sorts of questions like this.

If the OP isn't a Brit they'd have had the sense to say so.

Or be too dumb to even find their way to the airport. :rolleyes:

JB :) (in can't-be-bothered-with-pedantics mood ;))

Thanks John Bull for your reply.

Yes I am a 'brit' - apologies for not pointing this out :(

The ports we are visiting are:

Barbados, Barbados, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, Dominica and Grenada.

Would I be right in saying that we will not need visas for any of these ports?

MS14

Thanks John Bull for your reply.

Yes I am a 'brit' - apologies for not pointing this out :(

The ports we are visiting are:

Barbados, Barbados, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, Tortola, St. Maarten, Antigua, Dominica and Grenada.

Would I be right in saying that we will not need visas for any of these ports?

MS14

Correct.

No worries. :)

Plenty of background on those islands on the Ports of Call forums, though I'm guessing you've already been to most.

If you've not already found those forums, scroll to the bottom of this page & click on the arrow at "Forum Jump". This will bring up all the CC forums. Scroll through them to the Ports of Call.

Edited by John Bull

A visa is nothing more than formal authorization for a non-citizen to enter/exit a country.

The requirement to have a visa depends on your citizenship and the country you wish to visit. Soverign nations are premitted, under internatinal law to allow, or restrict citizens of other countries entry, exit or transit. This authorization is be based on any of a variety of criteria: political, religious, economical, racial, ethnic, sexual, etc..

A passport is nothing more than a document which verifies an individual's identity and, on occasion, is used to record entry/exit of a country by the use of a "stamp" on the pages of the passport.

So, to answer the OP question: It will depend on the criteria of the country to be visited/transited. You will need to contact them for accurate information.