Getting around in Galveston

Ready 2 Go

Hello everybody, we are in Galveston for a few days before we cruise Sunday on the Breeze. Whats the best way to get around down here??? We didn't get a rental car and the trolley was disabled during hurricane Ike. We are staying on the Seawall side. Thanks in advance for suggestions/help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Hello everybody, we are in Galveston for a few days before we cruise Sunday on the Breeze. Whats the best way to get around down here??? We didn't get a rental car and the trolley was disabled during hurricane Ike. We are staying on the Seawall side. Thanks in advance for suggestions/help.

Rent a bike or motor scooter or taxi? It is a small island but that is a long seawall. I think I would just walk to the beach & taxi to restaurants. There really isn't much to do IN Galveston, other than a couple of museums and maybe Moody Gardens and a water park.

Be really careful of the water...I've read that there are a couple of cases of flesh-eating bacteria on the coast and you don't want to be in the water if you have any open cuts/bites or low immunity. Particularly before the cruise. I've lived in TX all my life and this is the first we have ever had such a thing happening that I know of.

There are a multitude of things to do in Galveston.

From the Ocean Star Drilling Rig at 19th St. Pier to the 1877 Tall Ship Elissa at 22nd St Pier, Historic Downtown Strand, Bishops Palace, 1895 Moody Mansion, Moody Gardens, Schlitterbahn, The Bryan Museum, Lone Star Flight Museum, second largest collection of Victorian Homes (Charleston is 1st), 1894 Opera House, Post Office St. Art Galleries, tree sculptures from Ike, great restaurants, deep sea fishing, Great Storm Theater at 21st St Pier, Railroad Museum, Harbor Tours from the Texas Seaport Museum at Pier 22.

Our restaurants range from fast food to fine dining. Eat local as they are wonderful. Galveston.com has all listed as well as menus.

There are two locations to rent golf carts; in town on Broadway or at West End of the Island.

The Island is 32 miles long and two miles at its widest.

Check out Galveston.com for all the Island information.

As far as the Vibrio virus, it occurs in every body of water everywhere, salt or fresh. It was caused by all the rain on the mainland in May with fresh water flowing into the Gulf. It has long passed. Anyone with a compromised immune system should be cautious no matter what water they get in, including a swimming pool.

Thanks for the feedback guys...we found Kent who has acted as somewhat as a personal driver for us doing our stay here. Very reasonable and we have been able to call him direct for pickups and drop-offs. He is an independent contractor with Yellow Cab but each ride is like a mini island tour. We have him booked for drop off back to IAH after the cruise as well. For those in my situation look him up at GalvestonTaxiKent on Facebook or 409.497.5117. Happy sailing!!!