Little French Key?

Messunderstood

I just changed my ship and itinerary so now I'm only there with two other ships, none of which are Carnival, so maybe there won't be any ship excursions.

I still think I'm going to check it out. This is seriously one of the reasons I picked an itinerary with Roatan. We'll see if they start offering excursions to other cruise lines -- that may be a deal breaker.

Those of you that have recently visited LFK or plan to this year, let us know how your day turned out!

We will be there on a day with only 2 ships as well, neither of which are Carnival. So I'm crossing my fingers. We still want to give it a try.

We were there on March 10th on the Navigator of the Seas. There were 2 Carnival ships there also. We picked the $88 package and made our reservations in advance by e-mail with LFK. We were packed on an old bus to get to LFK then had to wait in long lines to pay and then to get on the boat to the island. By then almost all of the chairs had been taken. There were 6 of us and we could only find 4 chairs together. No one greeted our boat for the guided tour that was supposed to be part of the fee we paid. We had to wait for kayaks to use. It felt crowded, not as relaxing as we had thought it would be. When we made our reservation LFK was only allowing 100 visitors at a time. That would have been great. But with the huge crowd that was there it was not worth what we paid. The Carnival visitors took up the prime seating and the kayaks. We will not return to LFK as long as it allows so many on its tiny island.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

These are just MY thoughts and my thoughts only (of course being the type of person I am).

This place is just absolutely gorgeous and a beautiful experience. There's 3 beaches there...and then of course the rest of the island with the animals and stuff. Everyone is not going to be in the same place at the same time. Yes, if there's a bunch of people there, it might get crowded over by the entrance area when it's lunch time.

As for the bad review. I look at trip advisor and I see that really bad review. I think to myself, so look at all of the other excellent reviews. Why did this one person have such a bad time? Are they the type of person that finds negativity in everything and just can't be satisfied? Was it just not to their liking? It sounded like they were put off from the very beginning of having to walk out of the port and up and over the hill to find the taxi and the day didn't get started out well. Then complained about going through a rough neighborhood. It's funny how what I remember there were some gorgeous houses (HUGE mansions) on the road leading to Little Frenchys.

This is a picture I snapped and it was right beside Little Frencys

P5150566-M.jpg

I can tell you most of the houses on that road looked like that. I wonder if this person realizes they were in a 3rd world country and poverty is there? I wonder if they have ever been to Belize or Jamaica and seen the poverty houses there? Yes, there will always be slummy areas everywhere you go. I can drive about 20 minutes from my house and hit what they call the "bottoms" here at home.

I'm sure that everyone here have ran across someone they know, someone on a cruise, someone on a tour or whatever...that no matter what is said or done, they are dissatisfied. Not discrediting this bad review, just saying you don't know what this person is like in real life.

Why someone would stand around asking a child where to sit is beyond me. I'm pretty sure that you are free to roam around the island as you like and even switch places if you want. We never stayed in one place at any given time. I mean how would they know who you arrived with? I find it hard to believe there are assigned chairs and if you are thinking about going here, why not write the owners and inquire?

Although some have stated that the owners have been rude or nasty with their comments, you also have to remember that English is not their first language and people may say things that come off differently to some of us. (Ever been to Jamaica and when approached you say "no thank you"? Well to Jamaicans, that means "yes" because you included "thank you". They do not understand). The couple that owns this place are very religious and takes great pride in their place. I'm sure they don't want bad reviews coming in and since this is their little slice of heaven (since they live there), they can get defensive at times. I don't know and I'm not trying to defend anything they might have said. Just saying that you never personally know what situation they might have been placed in with any given customer.

I can say that if I based cruising on a cruise ship or going to any of the given places I have been to on others reviews, I would have never got to experience some of the great places I have been to and wonderful ships we've been on. (For instance I was told I would HATE cruising with Carnival and all the negativity I received from the NCL cruisers about the degrading service on Carnival...I went against what others said, booked the Dream and had a FABULOUS time with no regrets!!!) I read everyone's reviews, I take what they say with a grain of salt and form my own opinions on whether it is a good fit for our family. I have also been told of "fabulous" places to go while in port and I went there and it wasn't so "fabulous" to us and not my kind of place. Did we have a bad time? No, but it would not be someplace I would ever go again.

I'm just saying, please look at the place and form your own opinion. Don't base it off a few bad reviews. It's sad that a bad review amongst tons of reviews that say "piece of paradise", "Paradise in Roatan", "Heaven on Earth", "Blissful Island", "Serenity" and so on can throw everyone into chaos. If you have questions or concerns, email Larissa and ask. Get it in writing. Print it off and take it with you.

Sorry for my rant. It's just MY feelings and I'm not looking to debate any of it or start an argument. This is not my intention at all. I'm just trying to put things into perspective and make people think. I love cruising. I love experiencing new places. I love going somewhere different every time (even when it doesn't live up to what I thought it might be). I live life and love every experience. I try to make the best of everywhere I go. I mean it's a day off work, it's a day out of the states and it's experiencing new things and culture. I will have a good time no matter where I'm at. :)

Mitsugirly, thank you so much for your post. We had our heart set on going after seeing all of the animals and beautiful beaches and then were discouraged by the negative reviews we started coming across. You are very true in that each person can form their own opinion and that definitely eases my mind a bit. We figure, if it's going to be crowded, then so be it. We still want to experience this beautiful area and make the best of it! We can't wait!

These are just MY thoughts and my thoughts only (of course being the type of person I am).

This place is just absolutely gorgeous and a beautiful experience. There's 3 beaches there...and then of course the rest of the island with the animals and stuff. Everyone is not going to be in the same place at the same time. Yes, if there's a bunch of people there, it might get crowded over by the entrance area when it's lunch time.

As for the bad review. I look at trip advisor and I see that really bad review. I think to myself, so look at all of the other excellent reviews. Why did this one person have such a bad time? Are they the type of person that finds negativity in everything and just can't be satisfied? Was it just not to their liking? It sounded like they were put off from the very beginning of having to walk out of the port and up and over the hill to find the taxi and the day didn't get started out well. Then complained about going through a rough neighborhood. It's funny how what I remember there were some gorgeous houses (HUGE mansions) on the road leading to Little Frenchys.

This is a picture I snapped and it was right beside Little Frencys

P5150566-M.jpg

I can tell you most of the houses on that road looked like that. I wonder if this person realizes they were in a 3rd world country and poverty is there? I wonder if they have ever been to Belize or Jamaica and seen the poverty houses there? Yes, there will always be slummy areas everywhere you go. I can drive about 20 minutes from my house and hit what they call the "bottoms" here at home.

I'm sure that everyone here have ran across someone they know, someone on a cruise, someone on a tour or whatever...that no matter what is said or done, they are dissatisfied. Not discrediting this bad review, just saying you don't know what this person is like in real life.

Why someone would stand around asking a child where to sit is beyond me. I'm pretty sure that you are free to roam around the island as you like and even switch places if you want. We never stayed in one place at any given time. I mean how would they know who you arrived with? I find it hard to believe there are assigned chairs and if you are thinking about going here, why not write the owners and inquire?

Although some have stated that the owners have been rude or nasty with their comments, you also have to remember that English is not their first language and people may say things that come off differently to some of us. (Ever been to Jamaica and when approached you say "no thank you"? Well to Jamaicans, that means "yes" because you included "thank you". They do not understand). The couple that owns this place are very religious and takes great pride in their place. I'm sure they don't want bad reviews coming in and since this is their little slice of heaven (since they live there), they can get defensive at times. I don't know and I'm not trying to defend anything they might have said. Just saying that you never personally know what situation they might have been placed in with any given customer.

I can say that if I based cruising on a cruise ship or going to any of the given places I have been to on others reviews, I would have never got to experience some of the great places I have been to and wonderful ships we've been on. (For instance I was told I would HATE cruising with Carnival and all the negativity I received from the NCL cruisers about the degrading service on Carnival...I went against what others said, booked the Dream and had a FABULOUS time with no regrets!!!) I read everyone's reviews, I take what they say with a grain of salt and form my own opinions on whether it is a good fit for our family. I have also been told of "fabulous" places to go while in port and I went there and it wasn't so "fabulous" to us and not my kind of place. Did we have a bad time? No, but it would not be someplace I would ever go again.

I'm just saying, please look at the place and form your own opinion. Don't base it off a few bad reviews. It's sad that a bad review amongst tons of reviews that say "piece of paradise", "Paradise in Roatan", "Heaven on Earth", "Blissful Island", "Serenity" and so on can throw everyone into chaos. If you have questions or concerns, email Larissa and ask. Get it in writing. Print it off and take it with you.

Sorry for my rant. It's just MY feelings and I'm not looking to debate any of it or start an argument. This is not my intention at all. I'm just trying to put things into perspective and make people think. I love cruising. I love experiencing new places. I love going somewhere different every time (even when it doesn't live up to what I thought it might be). I live life and love every experience. I try to make the best of everywhere I go. I mean it's a day off work, it's a day out of the states and it's experiencing new things and culture. I will have a good time no matter where I'm at. :)

My immediate reaction on reading the start of the post was - "Of course she has a picture - don't be crazy!!" As you don't know me I will be clear that I said this with a smile and appreciate your extensive picture reviews. Keep it up whenever, wherever possible.

My immediate reaction on reading the start of the post was - "Of course she has a picture - don't be crazy!!" As you don't know me I will be clear that I said this with a smile and appreciate your extensive picture reviews. Keep it up whenever, wherever possible.

Well you know me...I have a picture for "almost" everything. :D My husband thinks I'm crazy because I snap pictures non-stop and he will ask me why I took a picture of ______________ (you fill in the blank) and my response is always "I can guarantee you that "someone" will need this picture on cc!" :D

I am actually considering going back to LFK in November on our Sun cruise just to check things out again and this time experience the snorkeling at the reef since I didn't get to go last time (and so many on here want to know what's out there). We have cruise friends (from on here) that will be cruising again with us in November and just booked the Sun to join us and they mentioned possibly going back here (they were here before as well). If they go, we'll probably go too. Also, if I can't find anything else "new" to do (since I have already checked out the West Bay, zip lining with Victor Bodden, Maya Key, and LFK) then it will probably be LFK or Maya Key for me again. Those are 2 places I would never turn down.

I'm open to any other suggestions on where to go and try out that might be a "little slice of heaven" like LFK or Maya Key. :D

I just booked directly with these guys. Will be there a week today. And no carnival cruise ships in port so I have high hopes for this place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Please come back and report if you can and let us know your experiences. :)

P.s mitsugirly it was your review and pics that sold me. I can't wait

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Aww thanks. I hope you find that it lives up to what you expect like it did for us. :)

I am really on the fence with this one. I would love to see some more reviews or even pics of days that carnival is in port. We are on a carnival ship but booked through LFK. Really don't want to be on the island with 300 other people.

We were just at LFK March 19th. We actually were on Carnival Dream but booked directly through LFK. My advice is to get off the ship early so you are among the first to get to LFK. That being said, I did not feel it was too crowded the day we were there. We had loungers, tried out the hammocks, jumped from the platform, snorkeled out by the reef, held the monkeys and kayaked. We did have to wait our turn for the kayaks but it was only 5-10 minutes. The longest wait we had was for lunch, but even that didn't seem too long. We just sat and had a drink while we waited. It is beautiful and I would go again.

I just booked directly with these guys. Will be there a week today. And no carnival cruise ships in port so I have high hopes for this place.

pferrar, I feel confident you will have a GREAT day!!! We were there Oct 2013 before the CCL excursions started and it was beyond-words beautiful! Good choice on a day with no CCL ships.

We are in port with the CCL Magic this coming Sept (their largest ship, I think), so we opted for Maya Key this year, which we've never done before. I agree with mitsugirly that trying something new is important. Looking forward to experiencing Maya Key.

Sherri

I am really on the fence with this one. I would love to see some more reviews or even pics of days that carnival is in port. We are on a carnival ship but booked through LFK. Really don't want to be on the island with 300 other people.

subieroo, you might check if you're the only ship in port that day. I use ports.cruisett dot com to see how many are in port with us. Others might have good sites for checking that as well.

Sherri

subieroo, you might check if you're the only ship in port that day. I use ports.cruisett dot com to see how many are in port with us. Others might have good sites for checking that as well.

Sherri

Even with 300 cruisers, the island should be able to handle that amount and still feel less crowded than Mahogany Bay or even Tabyana Beach. Granted, most people will stay near the main bar area where the transport ship drops them off; but it's easy to find another spot on the island that has a less crowded feel. Go visit the bird and animal cages and walk to the very end, there are two areas there that are quite suitable. It also looked like an even bigger restaurant was being finalized with lots of seating area. Bathrooms are also available here.

I visited on a Sunday with no ships in port and there were perhaps 40 - 50 persons tops, felt like being on our own deserted island - I even had a one on one snorkel excursion, saw an octopus and lobster!

Even with 300 cruisers, the island should be able to handle that amount and still feel less crowded than Mahogany Bay or even Tabyana Beach. Granted, most people will stay near the main bar area where the transport ship drops them off; but it's easy to find another spot on the island that has a less crowded feel. Go visit the bird and animal cages and walk to the very end, there are two areas there that are quite suitable. It also looked like an even bigger restaurant was being finalized with lots of seating area. Bathrooms are also available here...

There were about 50 folks there on our visit too, evandbob. It was just amazing. Our snorkel trip had at least 15 on it, though. I, however, can't imagine 298 other folks on that island. I think it would be much like Remm1024's experience. So glad we experienced it "before"...and we'd definitely go back on a one-ship port day.

Sherri

I was really looking forward to going to LFK next January. The recent news about the CCL excursions is very disappointing. Maybe we'll just stay on the ship instead.

Oh Deb, please don't stay on the ship!! I would recommend a crowded LFK before I would recommend staying on the ship!! There are many other beautiful options in Roatan also...unless you've done them all already... then, I guess you might not be missing much. ;)

Sherri

Oh Deb, please don't stay on the ship!! I would recommend a crowded LFK before I would recommend staying on the ship!! There are many other beautiful options in Roatan also...unless you've done them all already... then, I guess you might not be missing much. ;)

Sherri

Thanks, Sherri:) We'll be in port there on 1/13/15, and from what I can tell it doesn't look like there will be any Carnival ships that day. Will definitely plan on LFK in that case.

we will be in port with the Norwegian Jewel that day. Still not sure! ugh. wish I could decide. It's just a lot of money to possibly have a huge crowd and be a flop.

ill be there on sunday with no carival ships in dock... should give you a good idea as to whether it would be crowded for you or not also.

I have used CC extensively( for the 14 + cruises my DH and I have taken) so I feel the need to share with a community that has so very much helped me.

DH and I just got back from a day at Little French Key. We booked with LFK and were very impressed with them in many ways. They are terrific hosts and have a beautiful island. My husband and I booked with them because we wanted a romantic, quiet (location) beach day together.

When we arrived on the lovely LFK island, it was not what we hoped for. On this little island there were workers BUILDING. Constructing a new structure near the beach. Electric saws, hammering, drilling, generators = construction sounds....all day. Many people stayed and I hope they had a wonderful day. But we could not. For us, it was not conducive to a relaxing day on the beach.

If you think this may be bothersome to you, I would encourage you to inquire with LFK if construction will be going on on the day you will be arriving....that way you can save everyone from unmet expectations and hopes.

The owners graciously brought us back to the mainland and refunded our money when after a couple hours of trying, we figured out we just couldn't stay and feel happy about our day. I have nothing but good feelings about LFK.....just wanted my fellow CC'ers to know about our experience so they can inquire and make a good decision for all.

I have used CC extensively( for the 14 + cruises my DH and I have taken) so I feel the need to share with a community that has so very much helped me.

DH and I just got back from a day at Little French Key. We booked with LFK and were very impressed with them in many ways. They are terrific hosts and have a beautiful island. My husband and I booked with them because we wanted a romantic, quiet (location) beach day together.

When we arrived on the lovely LFK island, it was not what we hoped for. On this little island there were workers BUILDING. Constructing a new structure near the beach. Electric saws, hammering, drilling, generators = construction sounds....all day. Many people stayed and I hope they had a wonderful day. But we could not. For us, it was not conducive to a relaxing day on the beach.

If you think this may be bothersome to you, I would encourage you to inquire with LFK if construction will be going on on the day you will be arriving....that way you can save everyone from unmet expectations and hopes.

The owners graciously brought us back to the mainland and refunded our money when after a couple hours of trying, we figured out we just couldn't stay and feel happy about our day. I have nothing but good feelings about LFK.....just wanted my fellow CC'ers to know about our experience so they can inquire and make a good decision for all.

Glad they refunded you your money. Thanks for your recent review. :)

When I was at LFK in February, the construction was taking place. We hardly noticed it as we spent most of our time away from the workers on the other side of the island. As noted, the construction is right at the on/off pier. We did eat lunch at the bar in that area, but the workers were also taking a lunch break then.