Percent DEET content in bug spray?

mom2two2

Ok, we need some heavy duty bug spray for when we visit Lamanai (neither of us are taking malarials and I would like to avoid bites regardless), I have heard ppl here say the higher the better.

We are Canadian and the highest I have found here is 30%. What percent DEET content is recommended? I believe there is higher in the USA and I am wondering if I should wait and pop into a CVS or something on the way to the pier to get something higher?

Ok, we need some heavy duty bug spray for when we visit Lamanai (neither of us are taking malarials and I would like to avoid bites regardless), I have heard ppl here say the higher the better.

We are Canadian and the highest I have found here is 30%. What percent DEET content is recommended? I believe there is higher in the USA and I am wondering if I should wait and pop into a CVS or something on the way to the pier to get something higher?

I think 25-30% should be your minimum. Also, long lightweight pants and lightweight long sleeved shirts will help, especially in layers. We like the zip-off pants that convert to shorts, you can order them at LLBean.

You will know right away if it is 'buggy' there or not, and can goop on more spray if needed. The river part actually should be OK, since you will be moving! We are headed there next week. To compare, we did not think that Xunantunich was buggy at all- it was very cleared and open and I don't think anyone got bites. Coba, Mexico- very buggy, but not much jungle cleared at all there. Tulum- not buggy- right on the sea, very open.

Be aware that the super highest percentages DEET products can damage plastic- so be careful of your binoculars or other things that have plastic housings.

And remember, the higher percentage DEET you are using, the faster you should get it washed off yourself to minimize your own exposure. Or be careful to try to spray your clothing rather than yourself.

And it's hard to find the highest percentage DEET's anyway, you might have to go to a specialty camping type store as opposed to the CVS, where I typically find up to about 25% formulas- usually Deep Woods Off brand.

Can you order it on Amazon.com? And you never know what you will find in the Walmart or drug stores when you arrive.

You could also do a 'store pick up' at somewhere like a specific US Walmart if you know you are going there and can order it online. I don't know what they stock, but you could look.

I don't think doubling up on layers does anything more than make you more sticky :p

I wouldn't worry too much about it though- and really that high percentage would be too strong for the kids to wear anyway- are you bringing kids??

don't stress about it too much! seriously, if you don't think you have enough bug protection, wear layers of clothes- light pants, long sleeve shirts. It really helps.

Walmart and Target both sell 100% Deet insect repellent in their camping and sporting goods sections. I just bought some the other day.

Such a high percentage of Deet is not recommended for children (20%-30% max)...but then...neither is malaria:D.

Seriously though...you probably don't need such a high concentration, it is like that SPF170 sunscreen, it is overkill...but I do prefer Deet related insect repellent over others that I have tried...and many brands of repellent have 5% Deet or less, which basically means the rest is just fragrance and water.

Some interesting info I just found on Wikipedia:

========

DEET is often sold and used in spray or lotion in concentrations up to 100%. Consumer Reports found a direct correlation between DEET concentration and hours of protection against insect bites. 100% DEET was found to offer up to 12 hours of protection while several lower concentration DEET formulations (20%-34%) offered 3–6 hours of protection.[9] Other research has corroborated the effectiveness of DEET.[10] The Center for Disease Control recommends 30-50% DEET to prevent the spread of pathogens carried by insects.[11]

==========

Some other things the article mentions, is that "eucalyptus-based repellents which contain the natural oil eucalyptol to be a highly effective and nontoxic alternative to DEET". They point out that studies have shown that the Deet based repellents work longer and more reliably than their natural equivalents, with natural products most effective only within the first 30-60 minutes of using the product.

We will be going to the Caribbean in 12 days! We just came from WalMart where we bought Deet 40%. But they did have higher concentrations, even up to 100%. We only bought 40% because several years ago I came across another mosquito hint on a different list serve:"My pharmacist mother, many years ago, found that Vit B1 (Thiamin) makes and excellent mosquito repellant. Take 100 mg. about 1/2 hour before you are going to be out. It makes a very mild smell on the skin which mosquitos dislike. I have used it for several years and it works every time. Also much less expensive than rub on repellents. A bottle of 100 is usually less than $5.00. Buy the generic store brand. If you will be out more than 4 hours, take a second tablet." Living in Arizona, we don't have much problem with mosquitos but I tried this tip on a long road trip back to Kentucky and Tennessee in the middle of summer. All I can say is, I came home with no mosquito bites! So, I figure with the vitamin B1 and 40% Deet, we should do well in the Caribbean!

Does anyone know how long Deet products remain potent (if that is the correct wording)? I purchased a spray from Sunny's Surplus a few years back for a Western Caribbean trip. It's still pretty much full. The bottle has no expiration date. Should I toss and replace?icon5.gif

Thanks, AzEileen, for the B1 Vitamin recommendation. I had not heard of that before.

Does anyone know how long Deet products remain potent (if that is the correct wording)? I purchased a spray from Sunny's Surplus a few years back for a Western Caribbean trip. It's still pretty much full. The bottle has no expiration date. Should I toss and replace?icon5.gif

Thanks, AzEileen, for the B1 Vitamin recommendation. I had not heard of that before.

Most makers recommend no more than 3 years to ensure adequate effectiveness. But you can go by smell, if it smells lite buy new. If you keel over:D, it's still okay.

We use the 30% Deet sheets. Easier to apply, doesn't feel as messy.

Went to a travel medicine clinic. They recommended 25-50% DEET. They also highly recommended Malaria prophylaxis pills for travels outside of the city as per CDC recommendations. The pills cost us $25-$30 each but I'd rather not get a deadly disrease. We also got some Permethrin spray from REI to spray our outfits for the day. It may seem like overkill but for $8, I'd rather have the added protection.

I work for the DEET Education Program, Washington, DC. See www.deetonline.org for commonly asked questions. Concentration simply tells you how LONG it will last. 30% is fine, but you'll need to reapply more often than with 100%. The Am. Acad. of Pediatrics recommends 30% for children as young as two MONTHS of age. Their travel pages suggest using higher concentrations if there's a serious threat of vector-borne disease (malaria, dengue). Again, you can use the lower concentrations and reapply when the mosquitoes start biting again. As for product life...DEET doesn't change over time, but the other ingredients like fragrance may. If the product still feels and smells pleasant to use, it's probably fine. Always follow label directions. More isn't better. Don't use under clothing unless the mosquitoes can bite through your clothing. Don't get it in your eyes (most formulations have alcohol and that stings...if you get stinging, rinse the eyes with fresh water and it will be fine). Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus is not "natural"--it is a synthesized molecule and cannot be used on children younger than 3 YEARS old.

Hope this information helps. For immediate help with other questions, call 888-NO-BITES. Or visit the website above and post your question. One of us will answer within 24 hours.

• 3 months later...

I will be leaving the 9th. I'm packing skin so soft regular. Years ago I asked a shrimper/crabber in the bayou of Alabama's Mobile Bay. I asked him , "what do you use to keep the GIANT mosquitos off. " Ya all get skin so soft, I buy it by the case" . I have been using it ever since. Remember Skin So Soft is a lotion, the rest are POISON. I like my skin! Try it , if it doesn't work take some POISON too.

Archived