Taxi fare to orphanage?

MsSoloTravel

From what I'm reading it seems like the taxi prices are high.

I'm looking to go from Mahogany Bay to Sandy Bay Lighthouse Ministries. "We are located in the village of Sandy Bay – between Coxen Hole and West End."

Anyone have an idea of how much this should cost?

"Offical" local taxi rates from Dixon Cove (where Mahogany Bay CC is) to Coxen Hole are around 40 Lempiras pp one way. From Coxen Hole to Sandy Bay is about 30 Lempiras. ~19 Lempiras to US$1. That suggests about US, $3.68 but I doubt you can get that cheap. Rates for tourists can vary. And you'll need to negotiate with the driver before getting into the taxi. Also arrange for pick up. I wouldn't pay more than US$30 RT if you're just staying at the orphanage a short time and coming back. You can book a tour with Rony's tours for less than that and get a whole lot more for your money. Taxi prices are a bit higher directly from inside the cruise center gates than from "over the hill".

Edited by crewsweeper

I'm looking to go from Mahogany Bay to Sandy Bay Lighthouse Ministries. "We are located in the village of Sandy Bay – between Coxen Hole and West End."

Have you checked to make sure cruise ship passengers are welcomed to visit?

Yes, their website gives instructions on how to plan a visit. They welcome cruise ship visitors. With the price of taxi fare I may end up visiting the orphanage in Cozumel. It's supposed to be a couple of bucks for the taxi ride there. I'm on a strict budget, so I don't see spending $30 on a taxi to take donations. If I were already doing an excursion it would be much easier.

Yes, their website gives instructions on how to plan a visit. They welcome cruise ship visitors. With the price of taxi fare I may end up visiting the orphanage in Cozumel. It's supposed to be a couple of bucks for the taxi ride there. I'm on a strict budget, so I don't see spending $30 on a taxi to take donations. If I were already doing an excursion it would be much easier.

When are you going? We're leaving tomorrow and taking 7 suitcases of donations.

That's awesome! I'm going in September. ..just trying to plan ahead. I would love to hear about your experience; how you dealt with customs before getting off the ship, your transportation and your visit.

You can contact me at gmail... lineavenuecandle if you like.

• 2 weeks later...
When are you going? We're leaving tomorrow and taking 7 suitcases of donations.

I am going on January 9th and would love to take donations and visit the orphanage. I would love any information on what to expect, what type of things they need, etc. :)

I am going on January 9th and would love to take donations and visit the orphanage. I would love any information on what to expect, what type of things they need, etc. :)

Sandy Bay Lighthouse Ministries is the orphanage. You can go to their website to get information about visiting and a list of what they need.

I don't know much more than that. I'm hoping that Tanya heart will come back to give us more insight.

We took 500+ children's books in Spanish, toothbrushes, toothpaste, school supplies (pencils, pencil sharpeners, erasers, notebooks, crayons, etc), bubbles, sunglasses, stuffed animals, & 50+ backpacks. The teenage girls will not go to school without a bra. We took 50+ bras in all sizes. We buy suitcases at goodwill for $4.99, fill them & leave them there.d81f9db2d529aa1788addd7edca304aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get to port, the porters will take your luggage. Be sure to tip accordingly. $20. Ship housekeeping delivers to your cabin. All luggage can be stored under bed. Work out details with Humberto on the Jade, manager at guest services. Housekeeping will pick up luggage & off load at destination.

Our first visit we took one suitcase, second visit was 13 suitcases & this last visit was 7 suitcases. Rolling suitcases work best!

What did you have to do to get through customs getting off the ship? The orphanage states on their website that you have to declare if the value is over $300. Did you have to fill out any paperwork or pay taxes?

Also, how do you get there and back? Do you take a taxi? How much did it cost?

What did you have to do to get through customs getting off the ship? The orphanage states on their website that you have to declare if the value is over $300. Did you have to fill out any paperwork or pay taxes?

Also, how do you get there and back? Do you take a taxi? How much did it cost?

When we started taking donations, I did research on our port in Trujillo. I met people that live there and became friends. Last week, one of them met us in Roatan, collected the donations and took them back to Trujillo for the underprivileged. Roatan gets many donations but Trujillo does not and are in great need. In addition, the orphanages get many donations and some are supported by the church. The donations that we take go directly to children in need. This is determined by the friends that we have made in Trujillo. We have a relationship with these people and talk to them daily online. Our friend picked us up at the port, toured us around Roatan, bought us lunch at Infinity Bay Beach Resort in West Bay and returned us to the ship. We also did some shopping at the handmade gift shop and met some interesting folks.

There are forms to complete and you will have to be authorized to depart the ship with the donations. I am having trouble uploading those documents so I will email them to your g mail account.

NCL and Royal Caribbean dock/tender in to Coxen Hole. Mahogany Bay is used by Carnival. I'm not sure what cruise line you are using.

• 2 months later...