Fort Lauderdale Grande Hotel - what can you tell me?

micmacmissy

I got a government rate for $161 for this hotel, just one night pre-cruise...a few questions for those who have stayed there:

is it close to the port?

do they have a shuttle?

decent pool area?

any other info you can give me?

thanks!

.a few questions ....is it close to the port?do they have a shuttle?decent pool area?any other info you can give me? thanks!

It's a short cab ride to the port. They do not have a shuttle. The pool is tiny. Plenty of shops and restaurants nearby.

Bequia,

Thank you - I checked out your blog, it is very helpful! I was looking for a complete list of hotels near the port...finally found it!

I'm going to book the Pier 66 on your recommendations, since it is only $10 more than the Grande...thanks!

We are booked into the Grand for our 9-6 pre cruise night. Pretty good price @ $99.

From the map it looks like the hotel is right across the street from the port. Are looks deceiving? Of course, the port looks huge, I'm sure we could end up being at the far end.

Any idea if a shuttle is needed from the Grand?

BTW, love the website on Ft. Lauderdale!

Yes, it looks close but you'll still need a cab to get to the port as the hotel doesn't have a shuttle. The secure port area is not designed for pedestrian foot traffic, there's few sidewalks, the checkpoint doesn't have a walk up window for pedestrians and traffic is a bear. From your hotel cab will be under $10 regardless of which terminal your departing from.

We had originally booked the Ft. Lauderdale Grande (always stayed there precruise when it was Marriott Marina Hotel) for $171 government rate (we upgraded to a better room, otherwise it would have been $161). Anyway, I needed another room and there were none available, so instead we switched to Hyatt Pier 66 and they are currently having a special rate for $159/night. We upgraded to the Tower Deluxe room for $10 more. I've never stayed there, so I'm hoping it is comparable in quality to what the Marriott was like.

I've never stayed there, so I'm hoping it is comparable in quality to what the Marriott was like.

It's a resort, the Marriott was just a hotel. It far exceeds what the Marriott was ever like. ;)

We had originally booked the Ft. Lauderdale Grande (always stayed there precruise when it was Marriott Marina Hotel) for $171 government rate (we upgraded to a better room, otherwise it would have been $161). Anyway, I needed another room and there were none available, so instead we switched to Hyatt Pier 66 and they are currently having a special rate for $159/night. We upgraded to the Tower Deluxe room for $10 more. I've never stayed there, so I'm hoping it is comparable in quality to what the Marriott was like.
Where did you get that rate for the Hyatt when I check it's almost $300 a night????

Where did you get that rate for the Hyatt when I check it's almost $300 a night????

Keep in mind, the dates you are looking for may determine the pricing.

Having said that, I got it through the "special rates" offer at their website. If you book by March 12, 2008, for stays between March 14 and April 25, 2008, the rate is $159/night. We opted to upgrade to the tower room for an add'l $10.

I haven't stayed at the FLL Grande since they finished the total refurbishment but before I loved this place when it was the Marriott. It received a lot of damage from Hurricane Wilma several years ago. They totally stripped the tower rooms down to metal and concrete and rebuilt the rooms. The location is great. On the FLL water taxi stop which will take you to several shopping and dining areas.

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLHome.Asp

We stayed the Pier 66 back in November. Received a junior suite on the 8th floor overlooking the port. Great view. Room was nice, large and clean. Great balcony. You will hear road noise if you are overlooking the port. Didn't bother me at all but if you are a light sleeper then you may not want this location. Also on the water taxi. Here is a photo that shows the view of the port. Loved getting up at 5:00 in the morning, grabbing a cup of coffee and watching the ships slip quietly in to dock. Would stay here again with no hesitation. Great pool area too.:)

PB180050-1.jpg

PB170010.jpg

Archived