Hobart, Tasmania (Port Arthur, Tasmans Arch, Devil's Kitchen)

Iluvcruising2

Tasmania, abbreviated as Tas, is also known as Tassie to the Australians. Tasmania is located 240km south of the Australian continent, across the Bass Straits. Slightly over 500,000 people live in Tasmania.

Tasmania was named after Abel Tasman, the Dutch explorer who made the first European sighting of this island. This was in 1642. Tasman named the island "Anthony van Dieman's Land" after his sponsor Anthony van Diemen who was then the Governor of the Dutch East Indies. Later on, it was renamed Tasmania in honour of the European discoverer.

One of our cruise stops was the city of Hobart on the beautiful island of Tasmania. Our cruise departed from Sydney at 11pm on embarkation day. We would have one day at sea before arriving at Hobart, on Day 3 morning of cruise. To get here, we would have sailed the Tasman Sea.

I have put up many pictures and some description on a 2-part blog post:

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/01/hobart-tasmania-voyager-of-seas-cruise.html

We have arrived, at least according to the ship's navigational channel.

2lndb2g.jpg

There were many independent travellers, like us. Here is a picture when we just got off the ship.

ke7ync.jpg

We rented a car to self-drive to Port Arthur. We got a complimentary upgrade to an SUV (Ford Territory), which was very nice.

skxgyr.jpg

It was a beautiful and easy drive to Port Arthur, which was more than 90km away from Hobart. Traffic was light that day, which was a relief. I found myself driving fast, on straight roads like these. Our time in Port Arthur was quite short, so we didn't have any time to waste.

1zcgtqd.jpg

We had to pass through the town of Sorrel, and make this right turn onto the Arthur Highway.

30lywyw.jpg

Edited by Iluvcruising2

Here we are at Port Arthur.

2rw1grl.jpg

We toured the indoor museum exhibit before venturing outdoors. This quote from the Bible caught my attention. Indeed, discipline is so important if a person wants to achieve any form of success. An important lesson, especially to the younger generation as they appear to be very easily distracted and lose their focus.

fctkpz.jpg

Ever wondered about the profile of the prisoners kept here? You get to see this in the indoor museum. Look at this person's age, his crime and the punishment meted out. How times have changed. By the way, transportation means being sent to a penal colony.

2gv8w08.jpg

Please check out my 2 part blog posts for more pictures of Port Arhur, as well as the geological wonders of Tasmans Arch and Devils Kitchen.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2014/01/hobart-tasmania-voyager-of-seas-cruise.html

Safe travels!

Edited by Iluvcruising2

A question for you: Do you think that the geological features of Port Arthur would be seen better from a boat trip or a road trip? I'm trying to choose between excursions offered. We will be docking at Port Arthur.

Thanks,

F

A question for you: Do you think that the geological features of Port Arthur would be seen better from a boat trip or a road trip? I'm trying to choose between excursions offered. We will be docking at Port Arthur.

Thanks,

F

Hi Fionan

If your ship is docking at Port Arthur as you say, you will be tendered in. You can easily walk from the wharf to see the sites. You could also join the small boat that goes out to Dead Mans Island. It's where prisoners and guards were buried. Despite the horrendous stories you hear about what went on there, it is fascinating and a very beautiful part of the world.

I live in Tasmania,

Cathy

• 1 year later...
Hi

One of the Ports on our cruise in October is Port Arthur. Is it possible to walk to the Historic Site from there or will we need transport.

Thanks

You will anchor in the Harbour at Port Arthur just off what was mentioned previously as Dead Man's Island [isle of the Dead] and tender into the Port Arthur historic site, your tender will dock at the wharf that is part of the site.

You will get a great view of the cliff faces and geological formations.

You will actually have a lot more time than someone like OP who docked in Hobart and then drove to Port Arthur, an hour+ each way.