Purchasing transport ticket book vs pass

NCTribeFan

I know this comes up all the time and I'm pretty sure I've read many of the threads.

But I'm trying to get my cash needs figured out (leaving on Friday), and I just need to confirm something.

We'll be in Bermuda the 26-28 of this month. We have excursions planned for a taxi tour after we arrive and a sunset sail that evening, so we won't be needing any additional transportation on Monday.

Two 2-day passes will cost $31.50 each. But a book of 15 tickets is only $37.50. Our plans are to take the ferry to St George on Tuesday morning, then the bus back to Hamilton, then the ferry back to the Dockyard.

On Wednesday, we're just taking the bus to the beach and back.

So, I think a book of tickets makes much more sense.

BUT, I've read that the ticket books are not sold in the Dockyard area. Except I was just doing some reading and one site said that you can purchase all the transport options at the Visitor's Center there.

So, which is it? Can we buy a ticket book there or do we need to ask our driver to stop at the bus terminal in Hamilton on Monday so we can buy there?

AND, if we can purchase using a credit card, will my new chip card work if it doesn't use a pin? Do Bermuda establishments have machines that will swipe?

Unfortunately, it seems many US cards that have the chip don't use a pin, which is going to make it a challenge next spring when I'm on a Med cruise. :(

Thanks! Can't wait to return to beautiful Bermuda!

Ticket books are not sold at the Dockyard. They were for a couple of years, but not any longer.

Are there two people in your traveling party? If so I might offer an alternative to taking time out from your tour to stop in Hamilton to buy a ticket book. If I'm interpreting your plans correctly, it looks like you're taking three trips on public transportation on Tuesday...ferry, bus, ferry, and two on Wednesday...bus, bus. In that case you could buy five tokens for each person, ten in total for two people, at a total cost of $45. That's far less than two transportation passes, and while it's $7.50 more than buying a ticket book you won't have to go out of your way to buy the tokens.

Don't worry about the credit card. Bermuda operates more like the US than Europe. I just used an old credit card that doesn't even have a chip, much less a chip and PIN card, on my visit to Bermuda a few days ago. It was accepted everywhere.

Yes, I'm travelling with a friend, so there are two of us.

I hadn't paid much attention to the tokens. Do you need to buy them ahead of time (I understand you don't buy them on the ferry or bus), but at a ticket window?

Say on Wednesday morning we want to head to the beach. We would buy 8 tokens each (for the outbound and return trip) there at the Dockyard where I bought my pass last time?

The plans are tentative, of course. We could end up wanting to venture out, or further on multiple legs, on one of the days, which is why I thought the ticket book seemed like a good plan.

Or, alternatively, we could buy tokens for the first ferry ride to St George's and buy a ticket book once there. That would still only be slightly more than one 2-day pass.

Good to know about the credit card. I've already alerted both my companies that I'll be in Bermuda.

Thanks for the info.

You buy tokens in advance, either at the pier where your ship will be docked or at the Visitors Information Center building which is close to the ferries dock...the same places you would buy a transportation pass.

If you're heading to the beach, such as Horseshoe Bay, and back you only need four tokens...two for each of you.