PLEASE HELP - need advice Windstar v. Star Clipper

robynindc

(also posted on Windstar board . . . )

Hi there -

My husband and I are looking to cruise the Greek Islands in July, and we have two options:

(1) Star Clipper, INSIDE CABIN, 10 day itinerary

(2) Windstar Wind Spirit, Oceanview (Cabin 101 - all the way in the back in the lower deck, or Cabin 138, up front in the lower deck)

We have a mild preference for the itinerary of the Clipper, and the reviews of the Clipper are uniformly positive, whereas the Wind Spirit seems to be not as pleasing for everyone. On the other hand, INSIDE CABIN! Bunk beds!

We are at a loss on how to decide between these options. Please help! Thank you so much!!

- Robyn, Novice Cruiser

We have been on the Star Flyer and think I would go for an inside cabin. We had a porthole, could not see much from it and it was noisy when the seas were a little high, with waves hitting the window. You spend so little time in the cabin anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I also say: Go with Star Clipper. Beautiful true sailing ship with a nice crew and family-owned company. It is a very special atmosphere and with a good Captain real sailing of a tall ship. I would never go on a big steel box liner with some decoration sails on sun deck. And think about the time you spend in your cabin. I just went there for 6? or 7? hours for sleeping and showering. Life on Star Clipper takes place on the open decks and sometimes ashore. Greeting from Germany.

Windstar is not the same company that built the reputation. We sailed with the new owners for holidays 2007 and could not believe we were on the same ship. The new owners do not care about the passengers or the crew. We would never sail with them again. We are switching to Star Clipper. Keep trying to change cabins, it can happen and the value for dollar will be alot better.

My husband and I are booked on the Star Clipper for the 11 day from Athens to Venice, along with 4 other couples, three of which have booked the inside cabins. If you're doing the 10 day, it appears you are going on the return trip from Venice to Athens. Why don't you join us on the 11 day cruise? And like everyone says, the cabin is just for sleeping so why not save a little money which you can use towards shore excursions or trinkets.

• 2 weeks later...

You won't be in your cabin except to sleep. Choose a clipper every time for the authentic sailing experience. Windstar is what I call a mule - it is neither a horse nor a donkey! The sails are purely for show. We were on Star Clipper about ten days ago and it was our seventh time sailing with the line having also sailed on Flyer and Royal Clipper. Most nights, we managed to use 100 percent sails thus saving the management valuable fuel bills and being environmentally friendly too. However, be warned, Clippers are addictive - once you have sailed on them, you will never want to go any other way!

Enloy!

Archived