Did I Get a Good Deal?

fmfa0801

I just booked out first family Disney cruise through the Disney website. I have been looking for days and feel like I got a good deal (compared to what ive been seeing on Disenys website) but wonder what others think that have gone on them before.

Its a 4 night Bahama cruise in December on the Magic. I booked 2 inside deluxe rooms for me, my wife, 2 kids and my mom and dad. The total was $3,550 (taxes, fees and insurance included)

I tried a Disney Platinum travel agent online (that i read great things about) but was very disappointed.

I would say that it is an average deal for off season on the Magic in an inside stateroom.

Best deals I've had were 2009 $647 ($599 + $48 tax) per person for a 7 night cruise in an inside stateroom and the trans-Atlantic crossings. which I have 2 booked for right at $100 per night per adult in a balcony cabin. I've gotten inside cabins on trans-Atlantics for as low as just over $50 per person per night for 2 people. Last year I did 3 adults in a balcony cabin, 14 nights, under $4100. However the problem with these is that the air fare is quite high.

My ideal is to hit under $100 per person per night based on 2 people in the cabin. My OK is up to $150 per person per night. Above that and I'm looking at a lot more than I like to spend.

Ways to decrease costs include booking inside cabins off season, booking while on board (10% off cruise fare portion of the ticket) and purchasing restricted fares (*GT) after the penalty dates for cruises that are not fully booked.

I just booked out first family Disney cruise through the Disney website. I have been looking for days and feel like I got a good deal (compared to what ive been seeing on Disenys website) but wonder what others think that have gone on them before.

Its a 4 night Bahama cruise in December on the Magic. I booked 2 inside deluxe rooms for me, my wife, 2 kids and my mom and dad. The total was $3,550 (taxes, fees and insurance included)

I tried a Disney Platinum travel agent online (that i read great things about) but was very disappointed.

When in December? Your price for a cruise in early December vs one during Christmas is big difference.

There are only three Magic 4-night Bahamian cruise during December this year. The price you indicated included insurance is $3550, I'm guessing you're booked for the December 9th sailing. You're paying $132 per person per day for inside staterooms. This is regular price. IMHO, it's a little much to my liking due to it's off season.

If you are flexible about your stateroom location and willing to book “last minute,” usually meaning 21-75 days prior to departure. The savings can be very large, but you won’t know your exact stateroom at booking time. Disney will assign you a stateroom of at least the level guaranteed, possibly as late as the embarkation day. Your assigned stateroom could be in a higher category, but will never be in a lower category. That's generally the best deal for DCL.

Now, not everyone is comfortable with last minute booking, so I agreed with Moki'smommy. Only you can decide it's a good deal for you.

You'll have a great time no matter what!

Happy sailing! :D

Edited by KeepCalmNCruiseOn

December 9. I would go in sept (found cheaper prices) but my wifes sister is due for her first kid

If you're not comfortable with last minute booking and it's not much of differences in pricing. Go December.

Christmas: "Very Merrytime Cruises" run from early November through the New Year. During these sailings, passengers can enjoy holiday-themed crafts, Dickens-inspired carolers, holiday storytellers and a tropical deck party. New this year, Disney characters will host Mickey's Tree-Lighting Magic on the first night of the cruise, when the three-deck-tall Christmas tree will be lit. Also new this year is the Winter Wonderland Ball, where passengers can celebrate the arrival of Santa and Mrs. Claus with a "Frozen" snow-filled surprise.

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/holiday-cruises/christmas-winter-holidays/

Edited by KeepCalmNCruiseOn

September = warmer ocean temps

December = better activities on the ships as all holiday stuff is in full swing.

There are lots of cruises with FL resident discounts--you need to either look for them or have an agent who keeps you aware of them. No discounts for annual passholders. Currently there are discounts in March and April for 3,4, 5, and 7 night cruises in March and April for FL residents. Obviously, they are usually available after the penalty date, but they are regular bookings (not restricted bookings) and unless the world has changed recently, they are one of the few bookings where it is not "new only." If you have already booked this cruise and a FL res rate becomes available, they will change you to the FL res rate if you/your TA calls and asks.

Edited by moki'smommy

I looked on Disney website and enter the FL code. None showed up. It keep saying no cruises were availble for that month. I though i read they onluf do like 50 rooms per ship for it or something? Also the Disney travel agent was reminded that i was a FL resident.

I looked on Disney website and enter the FL code. None showed up. It keep saying no cruises were availble for that month. I though i read they onluf do like 50 rooms per ship for it or something? Also the Disney travel agent was reminded that i was a FL resident.

I just went to the DCL web site, entered April 2015 Caribbean from PC and the FLR code and found more cruises than my TA has listed on their web site. There are at least 2 March 7 night cruises and 2 April 7 night cruises with Fl Res rates. I didn't look up all the other cruise lengths--you want em, you can look them up! How many cabins are released at any given time for any discount depends on how full the ship is and how many cabins DCL is trying to fill.

December 9. I would go in sept (found cheaper prices) but my wifes sister is due for her first kid

You mentioned your total price includes insurance. I don't know the exact amount so I just assume it is 10%. Hence, let's say you cruise+fee+tax w/o insurance is then $3227. For 4 nights and 6 people, per diem is $134. I won't say this is a "hey great deal! everyone should check it out" ... but on the other hand, it is within the reasonable range for a DCL cruise. Since you said this is an inside deluxe, I suppose this is one of the category 10s cabin. Based on the website that tracks price movement, 10C and 10B both have increased base price by $20 since DAY1. Cat 10A showed an increase from $584 to $632 since DAY1 - for 1st and 2nd passenger. (as an FYI - we also have a Disney Magic 4-night booked but it is for this October, and the base price of my inside cabin went up from $520 to $760 ... a 46% increase ... which is somehow indicating the demand of the particular sailing)

The period between US Thanksgiving and Christmas is usually one of the lowest seasons of the year, and based on my experience, you will likely see the IGT/OGT/VGT rates being offered after payment deadline.

If Disney is the thing you WANT to do, and you really really WANT to do, and this period is the time you can go, and price is ok and cabins location meet you need, then I'd say, sure go ahead and enjoy your cruise.

However, if your desire to cruise DCL isn't a "MUST DO", and you are open-minded and flexible to try other lines/ships, since this is really off season, my guess is that there will be over-capacity and there should be some good bargain for all major mass market lines. And if you can take the risk to wait (only you know your risk tolerance level) ... even for Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy ... I won't be surprised to see good deal from them either for an early December sailing.

OP, since you say your price includes insurance, you need to read the fine print on insurance purchased thru DCL. First, it includes only items purchased thru DCL. Thus, if you do your air separately, the air is not covered by the insurance. Ditto hotel if you come in a day early. DCL insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, and IS quite expensive. Many private plans will give a free child policy with purchase of an adult policy. But private plans are based on age and with older people can be quite costly.

The only really good thing about DCL insurance is that if the insurance doesn't cover for any reason, you'll get 75% of the cruise cost as a credit to be applied to the same cruisers within a year.

Please look at the details because you can cancel it at this point if you choose to and consider buying privately.

Not a good deal since you didn't get any OBC. The price of the cruise is the price...but what you are really shopping for is OBC. You should have went to the site cruise compete . com, checked crucon, etc.

Put in your dates and then see what OBC offeres you would get. You could still do this and then cancel your reservation that you booked direclty with DCL.

Edited by Klstaack

Not a good deal since you didn't get any OBC. The price of the cruise is the price...but what you are really shopping for is OBC. You should have went to the site cruise compete . com, checked crucon, etc.

Put in your dates and then see what OBC offeres you would get. You could still do this and then cancel your reservation that you booked direclty with DCL.

While I use an agent who gives a nice OBC, I also know there are agents out there who give more. I used one of them ONCE. The agency that gives the highest perks does not necessarily give good service, provide you with correct information, or even get your reservation right the first time around. NO amount of OBC or other perk is worth bad service.

I agree that by booking directly thru DCL, purchasing their insurance, etc. does not result in the best situation or "deal," but choosing an agent or agency just for the perks is not a wise policy either--shop carefully! There are great agents who give nice OBCs, but there are awful ones also!

Does Disney Cruise Lines have deals? Even their "deal" prices are $$$ :eek:

Rarely. The most common "deal" these days is the *GT restricted fare booking. Read the fine print. Can be a good deal if the restrictions work for you. The other secret is to book a soon as possible after the new dates are released. If you rebook while on board, you get 10% off the cruise fare portion of the ticket for your new cruise. Book off season.

Does Disney Cruise Lines have deals? Even their "deal" prices are $$$ :eek:

Yes. Rare, but yes.

$440pp for a 5-night Caribbean.

$1100pp for a 14-night WB Panama Canal full crossing.

$1320pp for a unique 15-night EB Transatlantic crossing going from Port Canaveral, New York, Newfoundland, Iceland, Oslo and Copenhagen.

These were all regular rate for lowest inside on DAY1.

Not GREAT deal, but good value if you were able to book it and the length of cruise and timing work for you.