Taking the bus in San Juan

cruise pup

I want to get out to the Caribe Hilton by bus. Boy, it was so difficult to find any information on the internet about the bus system. Apparently it's even more confusing when you're there because the bus #'s are not accurate. Plus the schedules are virtually non-existent. After much searching, I finally found a map which shows where the Old San Juan bus terminal is located. It's actually very close to where my ship should be docking. I called the Hilton to find out which bus to take because there is no other way I could get the information. I was told the #21 but from what I can see most of the buses go there. I guess I can ask when I board. So now I'm prepared. The bus will let me off about 2 blocks away which isn't bad. The bad part is I might have to wait a while but at least it's the terminal and I won't be standing at a stop with the hot sun beating down. I also only need to ride 1 bus. If a connection was involved I think I would pass. I'll take a taxi back to the ship. There are plenty at the hotel and I can allow myself enough time for traffic. The 75 cent fare to the hotel will make the return cab fare more palatable. I figured I can give it a try because we have 8 hours in port. So if I don't manage to be on a bus heading out within an our, I'll grab a cab instead. I should still be there before noon.

Has anyone ridden the buses in San Juan? Just Curious how it went.

Yes, getting bus info, maps and schedules is very complex. I think they all just want tourists to take taxis.

We stayed at the Condado Hilton pre-cruise and used the bus to go into and back from OSJ. We were told to go to the stop just outside our hotel and take bus number 50. The stop was close to the bridge over the lagoon and has a free outdoor gym to keep you busy while you wait.

A bus stopped for us but it had no number. The driver said "Old San Juan?" So we boarded. He then said "this is the free bus". He said they run till 3 pm. For the return we found the bus terminal, I'm not sure of the number, might have been 50 but it was the only platform where there were lots of other tourists.

It was fine taking the bus and we would do it again.

When in Puerto Rico, we always stay at the Caribe and use the public bus system to access OSJ. Exit the hotel complex through the Villa's lobby and walk up the street, crossing near the Subway shop. Walk a few hundred feet to the corner and the bus stop will be on your right. Exact change. The bus will take you to the main terminal in OSJ, across from the fort. This is also the best place to pick up the HOHO trolleys because it's the terminal point for this system to access OSJ. If you attempt to board the trolley near the cruise ship terminal, they may be filled with passengers.

To return to the hotel, there are a couple of different bus #'s that you can pick up at the terminal. The bus will drop you off across the street from where you picked up the inbound bus. I've always found the drivers very helpful with specific directions and bus numbers. Be sure to check with the front desk people at the hotel for bus info - since we always stay on the Villa side of the Caribe, their front desk people will give you any info you need.

Darcy

I agree with above poster... the buses are great. We also stay at the Caribe Hilton and use the buses they are easy to use. Also don't be afraid to ask the driver or even people on board they are very friendly. Love Puerto Rico:D