Carnival Valor, San Juan PR port

lluvsg

Good morning everyone. I was wondering, since the boat ported in San Juan does not leave until 10:00 pm, does anyone know what time they usually let people on the boat. Also since we arriving in San Juan the day before the cruise, if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do while Im there, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

There are so many things to do in PR, that you'll need at least a week there. Exploring Old San Juan is probably the easiest thing to do with a limited amount of time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good morning everyone. I was wondering, since the boat ported in San Juan does not leave until 10:00 pm, does anyone know what time they usually let people on the boat. Also since we arriving in San Juan the day before the cruise, if anyone has any suggestions as to what I should do while Im there, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

We did this same cruise on Valor last year and also stayed one night, pre-cruise, in San Juan. We stayed at a hotel at Isla Verde Beach (near the airport). Their check out time was noon, but we checked out at 11:30, took a 20 minute cab ride to Valor. We were able to get on right away and were having lunch and drinks at 12:45PM. After the cabins were ready (1:30PM), we dropped off our carry-on luggage and got back off to go and spend time at the forts. I don't know what the earliest time is that they'll let passengers on though. We were in no hurry to leave the hotel (and the beach there).

There is so much to see and do in San Juan that we'd (DH and I) love to go back for a week vacation sometime. This was my third time in San Juan (cruising) and we'd never been to one of the beaches, so that's what we really wanted to do this time. We got the hotel right on Isla Verde Beach, which is only 5 minutes from the airport. We arrived in San Juan around noon and once we checked in at the hotel, we spent the rest of a relaxing afternoon on a beautiful beach with fruity drinks. That's just us though, we're beach people. There is so much to see and do that's not beaches - both forts (El Morro; San Cristobal); the rainforest, walking around Old San Juan and so much more. I read a review last year (by Valentinebaby1). They spent a couple of days in San Juan, pre-cruise and on the morning of the cruise they did a helicopter tour and have some great pictures from that. I'd definitely love to do that.

Last year we left our hotel around 11:00. Checked our bags then went to the CVS about a block away, and got our two bottles if wine. Walked backed, checked in and was eating on the lido by 12:15.

This is a fabulous cruise!! I'm looking forward to doing it again sometime. We stayed a day before and after and still didn't get the whole PR experience. We met a couple on the ship that gave us a private tour of San Juan. It's so much more than you can imagine.

If you get a chance go eat at Raices on Recinto Sur #315. Amazing food!! Be prepared for a wait, but well worth it!!!ImageUploadedByForums1408541595.230702.jpg.5244e14ad36ae053171a94c2ade881f2.jpg

Their pork chop!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the ship by noon, so we explored the ship for maybe 20 minutes then got off again to go to the Bacardi factory and grab some lunch.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hey K9 Cop, for some reason I was thinking Bacardi was a ways from port. Did you just catch a cab? How long did it take? Did you have tour tickets ahead of time? I would love to go check it out but wasn't sure If I would have enough time to enjoy it.

Larry

Noonish seems to be the general time to get on board, drop the bags & head into Old San Juan. Skip lunch on the Lido deck, head into town on the west end of old San Juan across from the park is a little locals place. Cafe Puerto Rico, they make the best Mofongo you will ever eat, Tour the forts, they are amazing, do some shopping in town. We have been San Juan 3 times & there is always something new to discover.

Bacardi is a 50 cent ferry ride (both ways) away. You catch the ferry at the port where it takes you over to another island. There are taxis that will take you to the factory or if you're up to it you can walk. Two free drinks when you get there too!!

What you do to get to Bacardi....

If your standing looking at the valor, off to the right is a yellow building that is where the ferry docks up. Go into that building and get your tickets, it will be a whole $2 round trip. Ferry ride is about 10 minutes as you are just crossing over the bay.

When you get off the ferry you will exit the building and take a right, walk along the side walk and you will see a parking garage where vans are parked. They will take you to the Bacardi factory. I believe it was $16 for the both of us each way.

When you get to the factory you will get your tickets and your 2 free drink tickets. We had to wait about 30 minutes for our tour to start. After the tour your dropped off at the souvenir shop which is near the taxi vans to take you back to the ferry.

There are dozens and dozens of threads on the San Juan Port-of-Call board about things to do pre (or post) cruise in San Juan.

I love it there. Heading down on 10/31 for another repositioning cruise. Sadly, I can only go 1 day early this time.

There was an issue when we were boarding Conquest last November. Got to the pier at about 11 (silly Carnival had sent out emails telling people they could arrive early (although there's about an 8-hr window for checking in); we all arrive en masse and are then told we won't begin boarding until 2; ended up boarding at about 12:30, but it was still a mess.

It's a beautiful old city. Way more to see than just going to the Bacardi factory. My favorite place to eat is almost right across from the pier - Punto de Vista. The Parrot Club is also great for lunch and is an easy walk from the pier.

Anyway, do some reading over on the San Juan board for many more ideas.

If your standing looking at the valor, off to the right is a yellow building that is where the ferry docks up. Go into that building and get your tickets, it will be a whole $2 round trip. Ferry ride is about 10 minutes as you are just crossing over the bay.

When you get off the ferry you will exit the building and take a right, walk along the side walk and you will see a parking garage where vans are parked. They will take you to the Bacardi factory. I believe it was $16 for the both of us each way.

When you get to the factory you will get your tickets and your 2 free drink tickets. We had to wait about 30 minutes for our tour to start. After the tour your dropped off at the souvenir shop which is near the taxi vans to take you back to the ferry.

Thanks CRU1Z1N and K9 Cop. I'll be in PR in 60 days and I think I will do the Bacardi tour for sure(I'm a big fan)..:p

Does the Bacardi your have an admission cost?

Sent from my 831C using Forums mobile app

There are dozens and dozens of threads on the San Juan Port-of-Call board about things to do pre (or post) cruise in San Juan.

I love it there. Heading down on 10/31 for another repositioning cruise. Sadly, I can only go 1 day early this time.

There was an issue when we were boarding Conquest last November. Got to the pier at about 11 (silly Carnival had sent out emails telling people they could arrive early (although there's about an 8-hr window for checking in); we all arrive en masse and are then told we won't begin boarding until 2; ended up boarding at about 12:30, but it was still a mess.

It's a beautiful old city. Way more to see than just going to the Bacardi factory. My favorite place to eat is almost right across from the pier - Punto de Vista. The Parrot Club is also great for lunch and is an easy walk from the pier.

Anyway, do some reading over on the San Juan board for many more ideas.

Thank you, I will check the San Juan board

We did this same cruise on Valor last year and also stayed one night, pre-cruise, in San Juan. We stayed at a hotel at Isla Verde Beach (near the airport). Their check out time was noon, but we checked out at 11:30, took a 20 minute cab ride to Valor. We were able to get on right away and were having lunch and drinks at 12:45PM. After the cabins were ready (1:30PM), we dropped off our carry-on luggage and got back off to go and spend time at the forts. I don't know what the earliest time is that they'll let passengers on though. We were in no hurry to leave the hotel (and the beach there).

There is so much to see and do in San Juan that we'd (DH and I) love to go back for a week vacation sometime. This was my third time in San Juan (cruising) and we'd never been to one of the beaches, so that's what we really wanted to do this time. We got the hotel right on Isla Verde Beach, which is only 5 minutes from the airport. We arrived in San Juan around noon and once we checked in at the hotel, we spent the rest of a relaxing afternoon on a beautiful beach with fruity drinks. That's just us though, we're beach people. There is so much to see and do that's not beaches - both forts (El Morro; San Cristobal); the rainforest, walking around Old San Juan and so much more. I read a review last year (by Valentinebaby1). They spent a couple of days in San Juan, pre-cruise and on the morning of the cruise they did a helicopter tour and have some great pictures from that. I'd definitely love to do that.

Oh my God, I read your review, although I haven't finished it yet, and it was so detailed and your pictures were beautiful. I can't wait to finish it.

Last year we left our hotel around 11:00. Checked our bags then went to the CVS about a block away, and got our two bottles if wine. Walked backed, checked in and was eating on the lido by 12:15.

This is a fabulous cruise!! I'm looking forward to doing it again sometime. We stayed a day before and after and still didn't get the whole PR experience. We met a couple on the ship that gave us a private tour of San Juan. It's so much more than you can imagine.

If you get a chance go eat at Raices on Recinto Sur #315. Amazing food!! Be prepared for a wait, but well worth it!!![ATTACH]322573[/ATTACH]

Their pork chop!!!

That pork chop looks amazing and huge

Oh my God, I read your review, although I haven't finished it yet, and it was so detailed and your pictures were beautiful. I can't wait to finish it.

Thanks! I hope that it will also be helpful to you in some way too. I have to say that the Valor cruise out of San Juan last year ranked as our all time favorite. We'd love to do the same itinerary again and just wait till you see the islands in person...pictures just don't do the scenery justice. I hope you have as good a time as we did.

Yes this cruise is probably the best itinerary in the fleet. You will love it. Be sure to do some exploring of Old San Juan... whether it is the day before or after you board then can get back off and wander around. San Juan is a great city. Reading reviews is a great way to get ideas etc. The one from pghsteelerfan is a great one from the Valor. I wrote a couple from the Victory (the ship that used to do that itinerary. We came down early and stayed after both times a couple of days so there are some ideas of what to do there. Enjoy your time there, and then come back and do a review. They are fun to write and have to go back and look at.