Dollar vs Peso

gtaylor

With the surging strength of the US Dollar vs the Peso (and other world currencies) would it be a good idea to visit an ATM in our first port (Cabo) and withdraw enough Pesos to cover all of our significant purchases for the rest of the cruise?

With art, fashion, food and drink together, I'm thinking about $800.

We would probably continue to pay bus drivers (keep the change) and taxis in dollars, but for restaurants and shops????? What about tours?

gary

1. You will be in Mexico! 2. The US dollar is now at the historical high against the Peso! 3. You can get better then 15 Pesos to the dollar out of an ATM. 4. The Mexicans prefer to do business in their own currency! 5. If you insist on using the dollar you will get various exchange rates, most of which will be substantially below the current rate!

Also keep in mind that some good credit cards (MC or Visa) do not charge foreign fees (i.e. Capitalone, Andrews Global Trek, etc) and are also good options.

Hank

Yes, ATM to get pesos in port. You may have problem getting $800 USD's worth of pesos in one day as I believe there is a daily limit on how many dollars can be exchanged per day. Most ATM's I have encountered seem to have an upper limit of 5 or 6 thousand pesos per transaction.

Independently booked excursions are often priced/paid in US dollars. Pre-booked excursions are often paid in advance of your arrival. Quite frankly, I can't say I have seen the price of any given excursion drop just because the value of the dollar has gone up.

The real savings you realize will come when buying goods/services normally priced and paid for with pesos. As an example: a port taxi charged $4 USD per person to downtown last year and still charges $4 USD this year. There is no savings because the "service" is priced/paid in dollars. On the other, you can buy more transportation services for the same dollars if you take the bus or city taxis because they are priced/paid in pesos.

Enjoy!

There is a money exchange near the pier in Cabo. You do need your passport.

We haven't had a problem using American in the larger tourist restaurants etc in Cabo or PV. We do use pesos in the smaller shops and eateries.

Lately we've been going to the grocery stores. Pay in American, get change in Pesos. There is a limit (don't use $100 for a $3 purchase). The rate was just under the official rate.

Edited by SadieN