Easter Parade

LREcruise02

We are disembarking the Dream on Easter Sunday and want to take our kids to the Easter parade. I'm looking for suggestions on the best place to park and best place to watch the parade. We also plan to attend 11:00 mass at the Cathedral so if there is a spot close to that as well would be handy! We will have our car at the cruise terminal garage, if it is feasible we could leave it there and take the streetcar to the parade? Our first time in NOLA I appreciate any advice!

There are three Easter parades (one is gay):

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/seasonal/easter.html

The routes are fairly short and the crowds are moderate, so just pick a place along the pararde route.

The Cathedral will be packed, so get there early, or plan to attend Mass at one of the other downtown churches.

Same with the restaurants. Pick a place and make reservations now.

You are very unlikely to find any parking in the French Quarter. If you can't leave your car at the terminal, park sonewhere close by. The FQ is easy walking distance.

Thank you! We are planning to do the earliest parade, I think it's called the historic French quarter parade.

We have already made reservations at Court of Two Sisters for 1:00. :)

Do you know if we leave the car at the port parking, does the riverfront streetcar run to the French quarter? Also if the streetcar is very far from the terminal?

There are three masses on Easter Sunday and they will all be packed like sardines. Folks will be lining up to get in as soon as the previous one is done. If you really want to do all three activities (parade, mass and lunch) then you really should plan on attending the 9:00am service. You don't just stroll into Easter Mass at the Cathedral as every CEO (Christmas & Easter Only) Christian will be having the same bright idea of going to the Cathedral.

You will need to be off the ship early anyway so plan on getting an early start by hightailing it to the 9am which will be the easiest to get into on a major holiday. The other benefit is that the parade stops right at the Cathedral and the participants in the parade go inside for Mass then the parade picks up after Mass. By going to the 9am you can then step outside watch the parade and be on your way enjoying the rest of your morning. Court of Two Sisters will also be a madhouse of people, especially at 1pm when all the churches are out for the afternoon. If it were me, I would see if I could move up the reservation to 11:30.

Edited by nolatravelgirl

Good suggestion I didn't think about the earlier mass. We have faster to the fun so should get right off the ship. I realize everything will be busy, but I hate to just head home when we can spend the holiday in New Orleans, doubt we will have that opportunity again. So trying to figure out the best logistics. I appreciate the help!

Hey nolatravelgirl another question maybe you can help me with. The Saturday before our cruise we are going to take our kids to the Easter egg hunt at city park. Does the streetcar go all the way to the park or would it be better to drive there? We will have a car at our hotel. We are staying at the drury if that helps it looks to be right on one of the streetcar lines. Thanks in advance!!

Personally I would drive since you have a car and your hotel should allow in and out parking. The streetcar drops off at the street at the front of the museum. You will have to walk quite a distance to get to the egg hunting area. I haven't been to the hunt, but seeing as it is the weekend before I would imagine it will be well attended. Be sure to bring extra cash as it is at the amusement park inside City Park. I would recommend a ride on the train just so you can easily see the whole park. You can also end with some beignets at Morning Call. I know that others will say you should eat at Cafe Du Monde in the FQ but every time I have passed CDM the line is miles long. Don't get me wrong, CDM is very good, but almost every local will tell you Morning Call is just as good and has just as much history.

There is no comparison between court of two sisters and Antoines. CTS is a fun upbeat restaurant with buffet stations all around. Antoines is a traditional old school upscale dining experience. You would need to seriously up your wardrobe for Antoines. Also you will pay significantly more for Antoines. If you have picky eaters you will be better accommodated at CTS.

Thank you! I did decide to just stick with COTS it looks more our style :) especially with the kids. We will just have more time to explore!

Thanks for the city park tips. It looked like the actual park was still a good walk from the streetcar drop. We will just drive. And we will definitely do the train ride and do Morning Call. I really appreciate the tips!