Safety at Night

tip

We shall be staying at the Prytania Park Hotel in the Garden District and will be relying on the streetcars for transportation. I am not at all concerned with daylight travel, but want to know about after dark (early April). We did not just fall off of the turnip truck and needless to say, we shall use common sense and not wander down dark alleys, into a cemetery, or seedy areas.

How about the French Quarter? We have booked a dinner jazz cruise on the Steamboat Natchez and will have to walk four or five blocks to catch a streetcar back to our hotel after the boat returns around 9 p.m. Will we be on streets with lots of other tourists at that time?

Any other advice that you could give us for night time travel would be appreciated.

Just stick to busy areas and you'll be fine. Prytania park to the streetcar is in a safe area. The streetcars are pretty safe, and you'll be dropped near bourbon street. Follow bourbon to Toulouse and take it to the river to catch the Natchez.

Just stick to busy areas and you'll be fine. Prytania park to the streetcar is in a safe area. The streetcars are pretty safe, and you'll be dropped near bourbon street. Follow bourbon to Toulouse and take it to the river to catch the Natchez.

Suggest you not keep your wallet/checkbook in your back pocket. Shouldn't be as bad as Mardi Gras season, but there are professional pickpockets that you will never know even lifted your wallet (happened twice to my FIL). Best to not look "touristy". I never wear fine jewelry, etc. walking the streets of NOLA. (Don't get me wrong, tho, I do LOVE NOLA!):D

We were there last weekend, staying at Fairchild House, right across the street from Prytania Park Hotel. Theortically, you could ride streetcars all the way, taking the Riverfront line from the Natches dock to the Canal Street line to the St. Charles line. However, the Riverfront line only runs about every half hour later at night, so might be best to walk Decatur Street to Canal, right on Canal to Bourbon Street, and the St. Charles streetcar stop is just across Canal Street. (Bourbon Street becomes Carondelet on the southwest side of Canal).

There will be plenty of people on the routes you need to take at that time.