Canapes in Queens Grill?

Ballater

I know that I sound like a total snob, but are the pre-dinner canapes served in your stateroom, or somewhere else? (We just received a major upgrade to Queen's Grill!!)

Any other Queen's Grill tips anyone has...I'd be greatly appreciative.

Thank you!

Canapes can be served in your QG stateroom by your butler or they are also served pre dinner in the QG lounge ( which is open to both QG and PG passengers ). I try to avoid them as I can't stop at one. :)

bon appetit!

I'm not sure which of the two ships you are talking about. I'm not sure that canapes are served in QG/Q4/Q4 grades on QE2 - I certainly don't recall them in QG.

On QE2 penthouses they are served in suite.

The mystery, to me, is why there are always five.......

I think they're downstairs in the QG lounge as well.

Can't help on QM2.

Sorry, my reply was aimed at QM2 - I think 'Kindlychap' is correct for QE2, they are only served in the top suites as well as the QG lounge. They are though served in all grades of QG accommodations on QM2.

... and yes 'Threadfin' it appears to be that way :)

Canapes are also served in the some of the main QE2 bars too as I often eat them in the Chart room and then en route to the QG Restaurant I stop off for a drink in the QG Lounge and there are more canapes!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Wow how wonderfull ,

A number of years ago I was on the QE2, and was invited by some lovely friends we made on board to there state room (QG) for pre dinner drinks , and canapes, which was served by there buttler . Very Very Nice.

New friends will be linning up to share your canapes!!!

Bon Voyage

Wow How Wonderfull .

A few years ago I was on the QE2 , and made some lovey friends on board who invited us to there state room (QG) for pre dinner drinks and canapes, which was served by there buttler ,Very very nice .

Friends will be linning up, for a chance to share your canapes !!!!!

Bon Voyage

Hi Castlewood,

There will be a small selection of cans of soft drinks in the fridge and when the butler introduces him/herself they will ask you to select two bottles of spirits (or wine I think) from a list - other varieties/brands may be available at an extra charge. On top of that he kept me supplied with small quantities of vermouth and some olives for mixing martinis.

Have a great trip. Colin.

Thanks, Colin. This is great to know. I can't even come close to describing how excited my wife and I are about this trip, and having a Queen's Grill cabin brings it all to another realm!

And, incidentally, Colin, my grandfather came from Inverness, and on our honeymoon (which we took to Scotland), we spent several nights there. As I recall, we stayed at a lovely little hotel that overlooked the River Ness, which was crossed by a number of pedestrian suspension bridges.

Not that I would ever have the chance to practice it, but what/ how does one tip the Butler. I assume one does.

It's also the reason I have never used a hotel concierge. I have no clue what to tip and don't want to be a boor!

(Any more than I already am, by nature! <G>)

Karie,

who reckons she'll probably never have to worry about that, unless I win the lotto... and I don't buy tickets!

Not that I would ever have the chance to practice it, but what/ how does one tip the Butler.

Karie,

Is there any reason to make it any different from the other stewards?

We give the same to each member of the staff that looks after us - that is three butlers/stwewards, one night steward and two young Filipinos who do the cleaning.

Is there any reason to make it any different from the other stewards?

We give the same to each member of the staff that looks after us - that is three butlers/stwewards, one night steward and two young Filipinos who do the cleaning.

I take it this is not one butler assigned to your cabin, but a staff of butlers taking care of a group of cabins?

Having never been in a cabin with the status of a butler, I just don't know!

Karie,

Who let Jeeves take the night off, so I am typing this myself!

Not sure when your Crossing is so will post a comment to your posting....

Was in Q5 suite on a Crossing last summer. Had a butler and steward... tho never saw the steward. The suite was cleaned immediately ... and the butler checked in frequently for added items.

The Concierge lounge (deck 10) is open to PG and QG pax. A nice place for sandwiches and cookies and tea all day long. I think they had canapes also pre-dinner . tho your butler will bring some to your suite. There is a 'private' concierge (ships officer) as wells as a 'private' tour hostess to help with land arrangements. Make use if it!

There is also the QG only deck aft on 11 that is a GREAT place for sun and relaxing. It also has a hot tub. There normally are platters of fruit on the bar tho no bartender in the mid-day hours.

QG .. how can I describe the food and experience??? WOW!

First, ALL dining rooms (QG, PG and Britannia) have the same menu of the day (for dinner). However only QG has an ala-carte menu every night that is the same and is spectacular. The Orange Duck is wonderful (for several persons)... the caviar is also a wonderful choice. There are other options there that are worth exploring.

Also, if you have special requests (there is a vegetarian menu plus also special requests) ask! My butler was Indian and I asked is there were any good curry chegs onboard and he suggested I ask. For my birthday dinner I requested a shrimp Korma that was outstanding! It was enough to share with the rest of the table (8top) and they all said it was better than the entree of the evening! And the Assistant Waiter (Indian) got to take home the left overs also! He was very happy!

The first formal night is Captains greeting for QG and PG pax. The second formal night is for main restaurant pax. The third formal night technically has nothing special associated.. tho as a repeat pax (or if the concierge likes you) there is a 'Captains Special Pax' party that night.. that I was invited to and enjoyed very very much. It is the same night as Ascot Night so women tend to wear proper hats!

QG has many 2top tables and many 4top tables. They only have a few 8top tables. Traveling alone, I wanted a larger group and the MaitreD was able to combine a great table! We tended to meet for drinks about 7ish and dine about 7:30 .. and were sometimes the last ones in the dining room.

The tea in the afternoon in the Grill Lounge (QG and PG) is very elegant and relaxed. It is not the 'big production' of the other Queens Room main tea lounge (or the choreographed service on the QE2) .. but is great fun. I ended up meeting several table-mates at tea.

I tended to have a fabulous breakfast (they do a caviar with eggs that was great!) about 8-9 then have fruit on the QG Deck .. skip lunch and have tea at 4pm and dinner at 7:30ish.

As QG consider the Crossing a bit more formal. The 3 formal nights are tux required at dinner. The other nights (not the departure night) I wore white dinner jacket and felt very comfortable. I was VERY impressed with the fine gowns that the women of all ages wore for dinner in QG. (Cunard has a White Glove luggage service that I used when arriving in UK to ship one piece home so I did not have to carry it the remainder of the London post-cruise trip... pack all your 'over the top' clothes there and send them home after the cruise!)

There are not really any other QG 'priviliges' that I recall ... there are no priority seating for shows or such. On Cruises there may be tendering priorities and such tho.

ENJOY!

I take it this is not one butler assigned to your cabin, but a staff of butlers taking care of a group of cabins?

Having never been in a cabin with the status of a butler, I just don't know!

Karie,

Who let Jeeves take the night off, so I am typing this myself!

On the QE2 penthouses, there are a number of staff who look after you. Three day time staff, one night and the two young lads, as I said earlier.

The first time we were on the SIgnal Deck, we had one butler and two stewards. Last time, three butlers and no stewards. Other than the different colour of the uniform, you'd not know the difference!

It is just really good attentive service. I don't think it matters what the badge says.

Dear JGR01--

What a beautifully written discussion of the Queens Grill! Now my wife wants to go out tomorrow morning to buy some more gowns!

Tomorrow night, we're flying over to England and then on Monday, boarding the QM2 for what I now know will truly be an extraordinarily sublime transatlantic voyage in a Q5 cabin. I appreciate the time, thought, and enthusiasm that went into preparing such a great description.

Archived