Security & Customs at Schiphol

Fairfield Nana

I would like some advice please on customs check and security check at Schiphol. We are arriving at 0730 on KLM from Basel (A Schengen country airport) , and must transfer to another gate to catch another KLM at 0900 on to San Francisco. We plan to check all our luggage straight thru from Basel to SFO, and only carry a couple of very small bags onto the plane. Will we have to clear customs and/or other security, and if so, how far apart are they and ballpark how long will it take? Have heard mornings can be quite crowded at Schiphol. Thanks for any assistance here.

Not exactly sure which gates you will use but when transferring from a Schengen flight to a US flight you will go through passport control near the D gates and then your US flight will have security at the gate. How long it takes depends on the queues! My experience has been no more than 15 minutes for passport control and then there are usually 2 x-ray lines at the gate so they open around 70 minutes before departure to get everyone through - usually push to close about 20 minutes before departure. If you go through security early then you just have to sit in the secure area and wait. Walking time between gates seems to be a maximum of 20 minutes - some moving walkways. I like Schiphol - easy to navigate and don't have to change terminals. G.

When exactly are you flying from Basel? I tried to find the type of aircraft in the official timetable so I could predict the gate for you, but cannot find a flight that arrives at 07:30, only at 08:20.

I worked for KLM and daughter companies at AMS for many years, my prediction is that the plane will be a Fokker 70, and it will be a bus gate on concourse B. In that case, if your flight really gets in at 08:20 and your flight to SFO leaves from the end of the E- (or possibly worse F) gates at 09:00, you're toast.

Dear UKBayern-- our flight info is

Depart: Tues. Sep. 3 KLM # 1984 depart 06:45AM Basel (Basel EuroAirport) - arrive 08:20 Amsterdam (Schiphol) Aircraft type: Fokker 70 Transfer time:1h25m.

Change to KLM # 605 depart 09:50AM Amsterdam (Schiphol)

Sure hope we're not "toast"! I relied on airline to book us with this connection. May need to see if there are later flights or leave Basel night before and stay in hotel at Schiphol?

Depart: Tues. Sep. 3 KLM # 1984 depart 06:45AM Basel (Basel EuroAirport) - arrive 08:20 Amsterdam (Schiphol) Aircraft type: Fokker 70 Transfer time:1h25m.

Sure hope we're not "toast"! I relied on airline to book us with this connection. May need to see if there are later flights or leave Basel night before and stay in hotel at Schiphol?

You should be fine with that. As someone mentioned Schiphol is excellent for transfers.

While on a flight to Schiphol to catch a connecting flight from Vienna to Chicago, it was announced that due to our late departure, we had missed our connecting flight to Chicago. As stress set in we had no clue what to do other than check in with KLM at their transfer station. When we got there, we learned the plane hadn't left yet. They called the gate and said if we hurried we might make it. As we ran through the airport we passed others that had been on our tour and said we'd let them know more were coming. We made it and KLM waited for others scurrying through the airport. We were so impressed with KLM caring and helping all of us catch our flight home.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm with UKBayern on this one. I work in aviation as well, and your flight is likely to end on a bus-gate which will set you back with at least 10-15 minutes. KLM and AMS are both known for their relative short connections, so I wouldn't worry too much about that, given your flight is on time.

But a slight delay on the inbound flight, and you'll end up missing your connecting TATL flight to SFO (note that the gate ussualy closes around -15STD)

I'd be much much less stressed with a larger connection time which leaves you with the only option to take KL1988 which arrives at 7.50pm the day before and staying the night at the airport hotel.

If you post the accurate times next time, the advice will be better!

We are flying DL JFK to Edinburgh connecting to KL in AMS as follows:

DL 70 JFK-AMS arrive 10:15 am

KL 1281 AMS-EDI depart 12:25 pm

I'm sure bags will be checked through to EDI but what can we expect in terms of passport control and security? Are the DL and KL gates near each other or can we expect a long walk? Not going to ask if 2+ hours is enough time to make connection since tickets are already purchased. We're flying biz if that makes a difference.

Riverroad.....

Since you are coming in from outside Schengen and leaving to outside Schengen, you will stay in the "international" side of AMS. (These are the "higher" lettered piers. There will be no customs and no immigration at AMS, with all procedures at EDI.

FWIW, most DL flights operate from the E pier, but KL could be from many others. As others have noted, AMS is VERY well signed (probably one of the best in the world) and is easy to get around - though quite large. I'm defining "easy" as "less confusing or challenging". Big, but clear.

Archived