Picture-A-Week 2014 - Week 2

boeckli

• 2 months later...
Pictures taken between Monday, January 6 and Sunday, January 12.

Here are some from Hawaii. As noted in the live/blog below, we just got off of the Celebrity Solstice last month while being down under in Australia and New Zealand. But we had to get there first. That opportunity allowed us to be able to make our first visit to Hawaii, Jan. 9-11. Fun and exciting. Below, in two parts, are some of my visual examples with my new Nikon D7100 camera. No wonder people like Hawaii so super much. Coming back from NZ, we stopped for four nights on the Big Island.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 47,748 views for this fun posting.

Here’s the first view from the balcony of our Aston Circle Waikiki Hotel room. Not a new or fancy hotel, but a great location in the heart of this famed beach area. The pink building shown under the mega high-rise is the Royal Hawaiian Hotel built in 1927 as the second destination resort on this island.:

NikonCamerasNew6_zps539d222a.jpg

Walking the beach areas along Waikiki Beach, it shows contrasts with the large high-rises versus palm trees and older hotels, etc.:

NikonCamerasNew5_zps93381daa.jpg

What is Waikiki Beach without famed Diamond Head? In real life, it is even more impressive! and soak up its majestic drama.:

NikonCamerasNew2_zps15fea954.jpg

Here’s one of my picture samplings for the sun setting on Waikiki Beach. I learned later that other times of the year, you cannot see this sunset this way on Waikiki. Glad our timing was so good.:

NikonCamerasNew3_zps97891d3d.jpg

Starting at 6 pm, here is the beach-side music/dancing program across the strew from our hotel. The Aston Waikiki Hotel is the “small" 14-story one shown at the right of this large banyan tree. Pictured second is the dancer performing with these native music artists. On this dancing picture, a friend (maybe), said that I looked good in "drag". No, not even close, in so many ways!!:

NikonCamerasNew1_zpse5f71130.jpg

NikonCamerasNew_zps88e5e73a.jpg

Here is more from Hawaii in early January. Check out my live/blog postings for more info/background on this nice ship, its entertainment, food options, these Aust.-NZ ports and sights, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 165,880 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From Pearl Harbor, here are only two quick picks/highlights. First, approaching the USS Arizona Memorial with the USS Missouri on the left standing guard. Second, is the Park Ranger on the Memorial giving historic background for why and how this site still leaks about 10 quarts of oil each day from the sunken hull of this ship that cost so many American lives. Very moving to visit personally and learn more background for what led up to this surprise attack on Dec. 7, 1941.:

NikonCamerasNew4_zps84ef105a.jpg

NikonCamerasNew5_zps0f228afd.jpg

Here are just four samples (from many more good ones that I could share) of the beaches and sights on the North Shore and then along the super scenic eastern side of Oahu. Look nice? Can't wait for our four days on the Big Island after finishing the cruise and time in Auckland.:

NikonCamerasNew2_zpsfaa22942.jpg

NikonCamerasNew3_zps85cd9707.jpg

NikonCamerasNew1_zps2e89063a.jpg

NikonCamerasNew_zps9bfcd016.jpg