Embarkation process at Port Everglades

Hi

We're first time cruisers and I'm stressing....

Could someone point me in the right direction of a step by step guide to what happens during the embarkation process from arriving at the port (in a taxi) to getting in our cabin.

Is the taxi allowed in the port? Will it be obvious where we go?

Where will we get dropped off?

How is luggage dealt with? Is it like an airport?

I know that we can turn up from 10am, but I just don't know what to expect from then on.

Thanks

What ship? (Different ships use different terminals at the port)

Generally, the taxi pulls right up to the terminal entrance. You turn your checked luggage over to a porter (we give a tip of $2 to $3 per bag). Then you enter the terminal. Your hand luggage will be put through the XRay machine, and you will walk through the scanner (just like in the airport). Then you will go to the check in counter where your documents will be reviewed, your photo will be taken and your sea pass will be issued. Then, you enter another area where a welcome aboard photo will be taken (don't skip this step even if you don't want to purchase the photo. It is used for face recognition for all subsequent photos taken onboard). Depending on the time, you will be directed to a waiting area, or you will be allowed to board the ship.

It's really very easy and painless, and very similar to the stops of an airport check in, but more organized. Everything is clearly marked, so it's obvious where you need to go, and there are plenty of very helpful port employees to assist and direct you.

Edited by DonnaK

Thank you so much Donna. That's exactly what I needed.

We're sailing on Oasis.

Then you really have nothing to stress over. The terminal that Oasis/Allure uses in Port Everglades is especially efficient and user friendly.

Keep in mind that you will not have access to your cabin until 1pm or so. That means you'll have to keep your hand luggage with you until then. Your checked luggage will be delivered to your cabin within a few hours.

Also, since you are arriving early, I would recommend going to lunch shortly after boarding, as those venues will get very busy very quickly on embarkation day. When you are done eating, turn over the table to those who are waiting (a long line will have formed), and go explore the ship or sit by the pool (or in a lounge) until your cabin is ready.

Edited by DonnaK

Just to add to DonnaK's great input, I always have my Setsail pass, passports and credit card to be used at check in ready before we get out of the vehicle we arrive in.

Also, for your luggage tags. I suggest getting some of the plastic holders for them which you can easily place on your checked luggage before your cab picks you up at the airport.

I also try to remember to have all things from my pockets that will set off the x ray machine in my carry on bag. The x ray alerts me when I have forgotten something ;)

After the porter takes your checked bags you will then enter where they check your passports and Setsail pass. Then on thru x ray.

Terminal 18 is great. Bon Voyage!!!

Hi

We're first time cruisers and I'm stressing....

Could someone point me in the right direction of a step by step guide to what happens during the embarkation process from arriving at the port (in a taxi) to getting in our cabin.

Is the taxi allowed in the port? Will it be obvious where we go?

Where will we get dropped off?

How is luggage dealt with? Is it like an airport?

I know that we can turn up from 10am, but I just don't know what to expect from then on.

Thanks

First, Welcome to a wonderful vacation! You will wonder why you waited to try it!

Second, don't stress! Everyone from the time you get in the cab does this for people a thousand times a week. Tell the driver your ship and sit back and enjoy the ride. He will take you to the front door!

Your luggage will be given to a porter when you exit the cab, as it is with the thousand other's sailing with you.

You will be directed into the terminal where yet another wonderful person will direct you to the proper line to await your turn to check in. Just like at any hotel you have stayed at.

Then they will send you to a waiting area for the ship to finish clearing all the poor people that have to GET OFF, and return to the real world:eek:

Then your turn happens! Your area is told to 'follow me' by yet another wonderful person, and across the walk way you head to a vacation of wonder and amazement!

Enjoy, and please come back and tell us what you thought.

EW