Rome suggestions

Zoey1

We are going to fly into Rome a day prior to our cruise. We were there for a couple of days two years ago, say all the highlights but everything as so jammed in that I can't even remember anything that stands out other than one restaurant which we want to go back to for dinner.

We were thinking of having a private tour pick us up at the airport and take us around for a few hours, then go to that place for dinner.

We do not like history details, just enjoy beautiful sights and fun shopping. We know we are going to be tired from the flight so do not want to pack too much in.

Would love some suggestions and also last time we stayed at the Majestic hotel, it was okay but for the price I feel like we could stay other places, I believe it was by the Spanish steps which would suit us to stay at again, any hotel suggestions, we like nice properties but don't want to go too overboard.

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome.

We are going to fly into Rome a day prior to our cruise. We were there for a couple of days two years ago, say all the highlights but everything as so jammed in that I can't even remember anything that stands out other than one restaurant which we want to go back to for dinner.

We were thinking of having a private tour pick us up at the airport and take us around for a few hours, then go to that place for dinner.

We do not like history details, just enjoy beautiful sights and fun shopping. We know we are going to be tired from the flight so do not want to pack too much in.

Would love some suggestions and also last time we stayed at the Majestic hotel, it was okay but for the price I feel like we could stay other places, I believe it was by the Spanish steps which would suit us to stay at again, any hotel suggestions, we like nice properties but don't want to go too overboard.

I suggest you check out Venere.com for hotels...you can pick the area you are interested in and it will give you the pricing etc....great site.

As to having someone pick you up and take you on a tour I would check with RomeCabs or RomeInLimo...great infromation on this board to check out.

Given what you are interested in, I wonder if a tour is really needed? If you pick a nice hotel that is centrally located, (Albergo del Senato, next to the Pantheon if you can spring for it is a wonderful location and wonderful Italian hotel.) you would be able to walk all around the area from Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori in one direction to Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps in the other.

Here is the view from my favorite room at Albergo del Senato, looking at the Pantheon and Piazza Rotonda:

P1040154.JPG

I gather you are not really interested in revisiting (or visiting new) ancient sites, but Rome is full of wonderful scenery that is best noticed by just walking around. For example, I'll never forget the first time I just turned a corner and there were the beautiful remains of a Roman temple that had been built right into a modern building. I had no idea at that time what it was (Temple of Hadrian) but it was a jaw-dropping moment.

IMG_0379.JPG

This is the kind of thing I notice much more when on foot. I've been through that piazza numerous times in a car, but it doesn't have the same impact because when you're in a car, you tend to look mainly at street level.

And also around every corner are numerous churches with great details like this one (a block or so from the Pantheon):

P1040563.JPG

There is also plenty of shopping and good restaurants in the area; it is lively around Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori both during the day and at night. Trevi Fountain is currently in scaffolding due to repair work, but the beautiful fountain in Piazza Navona is a great representation of Rome's many scenic fountains:

P1040547.JPG

At the end of the day, find a nice rooftop bar and enjoy the evening views. Lots of hotels have them, but some are only for their guests. Others, like the Hotel Forum (with a view over the forum) and the Hotel Minerva can be used by anyone. Here is a view from the rooftop bar at the Albergo del Senato:

P1040473.JPG

I'm not trying to sell you on the hotel exactly. Just wanted to get you thinking about whether a tour is needed if you don't have specific sites in mind to visit and if you are staying in a central place.

Cruisemom's suggestion of around the Pantheon is ideal. The Colosseum, Forum, etc are also very walkable, and the Vatican is not too long a slog.

She says "if you can spring for" the hotel she mentioned - but if you abandon plans for what I'd rate as an unnecessary tour that hotel becomes more affordable.

Perhaps consider an inexpensive night-time coach tour, for a different perspective & to see places you might otherwise miss.

JB :)

I particularly liked Villa Borghese -- houses lots of Bernini's works which are stunning. It is a beautiful, relaxing setting. We booked ahead for our 2 hour time slot and then paid 5 Euros for a guide to take us through. Apparently because we had a guide we had access to the gardens which was a lovely add-on.

Kathy:)

There are also several short free walking tours of Rome (they make their money from tips at the end) that may be a good alternative, especially if you are staying in a central location in Rome. That way you aren't committed to a long length of time if you are tired from the flight but it still keeps you up and moving.

Edited by katsmom1

We stayed at Hotel Fellini near the Trevi Fountain two years ago and it was in a good location, clean, and reasonably priced. Re: Tour, try a night Rome Food Tour with Bruno, you will have a great time seeing Rome at night and sample some great food.