Galveston Port - Best time to get there?

Passereau

My family and I are planning a cruise on Carnival Magic next year. I have cruised out of Galveston before, but on RCI. My question is what is the earliest you can arrive at the port (and not have to stand outside waiting for it to open) and what time does Carnival usually start boarding? I like being one of the first people on the ship and avoiding the lines if at all possible.

Thanks,

Not knowing too much- but with more ships coming in--and out---I'd say after 10:00- 10:30--- depending upon weather too---fog has been an issue several times-----at least you should be able to get into the terminal area---you might have to wait to board the ship----

My family and I are planning a cruise on Carnival Magic next year. I have cruised out of Galveston before, but on RCI. My question is what is the earliest you can arrive at the port (and not have to stand outside waiting for it to open) and what time does Carnival usually start boarding? I like being one of the first people on the ship and avoiding the lines if at all possible.

Thanks,

You won't have fog in June! It's too darned hot! I think 10 to 10:30 is a little early to get to the port. You're going to get caught up in the traffic leaving the port. I say shoot for 11:30 til 1:00...we've never really had to wait a long time to board!

We usually try to arrive at the port about 11:00. Once we get through security and processing there is a brief wait before we are allowed to board. On our last cruise in April, we were walking up the steps at the cruise terminal at 11:01 and were aboard by 12:30.

Hope that helps,

Tim

• 1 month later...

I totally agree with PlanoTim - We have cruised out of Galveston 6 times now and 11 is usually perfect. They let you in the terminal so you don't stand outside and sweat and we are usually onboard by 12-12:30 at the latest.

• 2 months later...

This is our second cruise and was curious about the process at the pier. The first cruise we had to wait in two lines... first one to drop off our luggage and Second one to actually start the boarding process by going thru security. Is it the same process at the Galveston pier for RCCL?

This is our second cruise and was curious about the process at the pier. The first cruise we had to wait in two lines... first one to drop off our luggage and Second one to actually start the boarding process by going thru security. Is it the same process at the Galveston pier for RCCL?

Have never had to wait in line to drop off luggage. But there usually is a line to go through security & then another line to check in. It isn't bad!

Last year we got to the port at 11:00 and we got on pretty quickly. On another cruise last year, we arrived at 1:30 and had to wait in line for over an hour. Both cruises were on Carnival's Conquest. I'm going for 11:00 this next cruise. It is the Magic; so, all might be different.

Nancy

We usually have a small lunch, bloody mary and get to the port around 2 pm. That way are rooms are ready, and we walk right on with no waiting. Why sit around all morning and wait? Sailing on the Magic March 4, 2012.

Sit on land (and pay for a lunch) vs. sit on a boat (and eat for free (well, no *additional* cost))?

I'll take the boat everytime. :p

GP

11 is perfect. Both times we sailed out of Galveston and it was quick. We park at lighthouse, take shuttle, find porter and then head in the terminal. The line constantly moved and we were on the ship quickly. We have not done the drop off luggage and then park. We just park and bring our bags with us.

We are on the 11/14 sailing of Magic and it leaves the day after it arrives from its transatlantic so we will not have to wait for previous cruisers to disembark before we embark. I wonder how early they will let us onboard? I am assuming the cabins will already be ready before the normal 1:30?

• 3 weeks later...

We like to board as soon as possible. We always come in the day before so we are up and ready. Plus we have 2- 10 year girls who are always chompin at the bit to get onto the waterslide. We arrive around 10:00, drop bags with the porter and proceed to security. We get there early enough to check in and get a seat for MIL70. We are usually on around 11:30- 12:00

Archived