Public transportation in houston to Galveston

melika091900

is there any public transit that can be taken from HOUSTON hobby to galveston area????

trying to find an inexpensive way to get to the port from the airport, a shuttle would be 100 each way

One way for you to save $$$ is to book the Super Shuttle and share the ride with others. There are some ways to connect with people that will be on your sailing here on this website. The Super Shuttle is about $100+ for a van full (I think 10) of people. Sometimes your travel agent (if you have one) will also be able to assist you with some affordable transfers.

• 2 weeks later...

dh & i rented a car and returned it one way just for the drive from HOU to the port. if you have alot of luggage, it's a pain, but you could make two trips and rent economy car if unable to rent a larger one.

when we did this, i got very lucky and rented a car very cheap! but that was a few years ago. but if you are like me, sometimes i have more time than $'s lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Super Shuttle - FYI rates have increased.

up to 7 people is $146 +$1 pp fuel surcharge -EACH WAY from Houston International

Texas Shuttle service - FYI Rates have also increased

Up to 10 people is $160.00 -EACH WAY ONLY ONE STOP IS ALLOWED.

Haven't found much that is cheaper...We have 5 in our group

Truly wish there was a more affordable option. (like JFK to Manhattan taking the airport shuttle train to the A train subway for something like $ 7.00). :mad:I will be meeting up with a friend the day before the sailing so I just booked supper shuttle ExecuCar sedan for one (but will take up to 4 for the same price) for $ 107.00 including tip. looks like the tip was optional, before tip was $ 91.00. Local limo company wanted $ 165.00 ouch.(not including tip) I went with this because it sounded like I would have paid the same for a taxi anyway. If I was going on day of sailing I would have just taken cruise line shuttles $ 30.00, which can be a drag because they wait till buss is full and take a long time.. I just googled Supper Shuttle Houston and got this. I can cancel with four hour advance notice.

Sailing on Carnival Magic and two weeks. Going to Gala onboard the night before. :D

I am going from Houston Hobby. The other airport is further away.

Forgot to mention I also looked at one way car rental which I have done Fort Lauderdale to Miami. Had a blast walking around south beach.:D Anyway there is only one rental car company on Galveston island and they are closed on Sundays :mad::mad::mad:.

Anyway done is beautiful and I really prefer to have a plan, rather than panic when travelling...

I would pack light and take a city buss if it was possible to save big $$$ and would not take all day to get there.

Tom in Long Beach

We ended up renting a car as we are flying in two days before and our flight home is not until 9pm. Was able to get it down to $280 for a 10 day rental from Alamo. It would of cost us at least $200 for a shuttle/Limo and now we will be able to see the sights on Texas!

We ended up renting a car as we are flying in two days before and our flight home is not until 9pm. Was able to get it down to $280 for a 10 day rental from Alamo. It would of cost us at least $200 for a shuttle/Limo and now we will be able to see the sights on Texas!

I hope I'm not raining on your plans, but did you include the high taxes that are imposed on rental cars in your Alamo estimate? I just priced out an 8 day rental for August 2012, and while the base price was around $280-300 (depending on what size car) there were around $95 in additional government fees and taxes on top of that.

I hope I'm not raining on your plans, but did you include the high taxes that are imposed on rental cars in your Alamo estimate? I just priced out an 8 day rental for August 2012, and while the base price was around $280-300 (depending on what size car) there were around $95 in additional government fees and taxes on top of that.

I got a rental for 10 days including taxes through Hotwire for $180.00.

Joanne

flying in the day before our cruise leaves, staying in galveston

now im wondering since we are staying another day in texas the day after the cruise, should we just still stay in galveston when we get off the ship ? or just stay close to the airport? we are flying out of hobby

Melika,

I lived in the Houston area nearly 20 years. Stay in Galveston! One more day to hear the waves and feel transported to another era is priceless. The program on the 1901 flood is well done.That presumes your travel and flight plans give you enough time to return to the airport. The HOU area is very industrial, strip centers etc. Forget Alameda Mall, you have to go further North. Baybrook Mall is on the way from Galveston and has more selection.

Blessings,

Gail

The Galveston "crew" will yell at me but, the big problem with Galveston is:

Airport to cruise terminal is terrible, transportation sucks, Texans love their cars, so public transportation doesn't exist.

Car rental agency, only one real choice and it's closed on Sunday! What is one of the major days cruise ships arrive/depart???

Getting to NASA or Kemah or any other tourist destination is near impossible.

Shuttles/cars/limo's $100 and up???

Every other cruise port in America has something set up for the cruisers out of their ports, I'm not sure why Galveston doesn't? And they are bringing in more ships to make the situation worse.

Lots of folks want to cruise out of Galveston (being from the area, I'm not sure why) but the city sure doesn't seem to be doing much to make it easy.

Yes, that amount included all the crazy taxes and fee's...which were about $100. Be carefull with Hotwire as they don't always include the taxes and fee's. If they did then that is a screaming deal.

The Galveston "crew" will yell at me but, the big problem with Galveston is:

Airport to cruise terminal is terrible, transportation sucks, Texans love their cars, so public transportation doesn't exist.

Car rental agency, only one real choice and it's closed on Sunday! What is one of the major days cruise ships arrive/depart???

Getting to NASA or Kemah or any other tourist destination is near impossible.

Shuttles/cars/limo's $100 and up???

Every other cruise port in America has something set up for the cruisers out of their ports, I'm not sure why Galveston doesn't? And they are bringing in more ships to make the situation worse.

Lots of folks want to cruise out of Galveston (being from the area, I'm not sure why) but the city sure doesn't seem to be doing much to make it easy.

Not going to "yell" at you, but put the blame with the rental car agencies. The City cannot force business to the island. Hertz does seem to be trying through their Texas City operation.

Enterprise here is a franchise so it makes its own choices.

We found Port Canaveral difficult and Rome to the port is in excess of $150 pp; but we like to sail so transportation to a port is not a big issue with us and we make the best of it.

Galveston does get a lot of heat from unhappy people, but the ships are always full so it is apparent that many work around the transportation issue.

I have said before and will say again, make your voice heard to car rental agencies and the cruise lines.

We would like it to change also for the better.

I talked to one limo co. about the end of Jan. '12 and they told me they were already booked until next August.

It wasn't our first choice but we took the La Quinta deal which included transportation to the port.

Hubby needs a Tex-Mex fix. Is there a good restaurant close to the La Quinta at Hobby?

I talked to one limo co. about the end of Jan. '12 and they told me they were already booked until next August.

It wasn't our first choice but we took the La Quinta deal which included transportation to the port.

Hubby needs a Tex-Mex fix. Is there a good restaurant close to the La Quinta at Hobby?

There are a few....look at the hotel's website under local attractions:

1.La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Hobby Airport

8776 Airport Blvd, Houston, TX 77061 Phone: 1-713-490-1008

0 miles 2.Pappas Restaurants

7800 Airport Boulevard, Houston, TXPhone: (281) 657-6168

Get Driving Directions from Hotel >0.86 miles3.Ninfa's Mexican

8553 Gulf Freeway Frontage Road, Houston, TXPhone: (713) 943-3183

Get Driving Directions from Hotel >1.034 miles4.Pappas Bar-B-Q

8560 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TXPhone: (713) 947-9927

Get Driving Directions from Hotel >0.911 miles5.Don Carlo's Restaurant

8385 Broadway Street, Houston, TXPhone: (713) 641-2084

Get Driving Directions from Hotel >1.38 miles6.Central Texas Bar-B-Q