Lerwick Taxi ?

My husband and I will be in Lerwick for one day on the Celebrity Silhouette this August. We aren't interested in the ship's tours and will probably just explore the town. But if we decided we wanted to go further, are there taxis readily available that will do a bit of a drive? We have found this to be true elsewhere but I wanted to check.

thank you.

We had a wonderful private tour from the port of Lerwick. You are shortchanging yourself to stay in the town. There is some fantastic scenery on the Shetlands.

Here is my review of our cruise, which includes the tour we took from Lerwick.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=264272

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know if I can pick up a taxi right when I get off the ship or do they have to be pre booked ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When a large ship is in town every available vehicle, taxi, etc. is employed by the couple of tour companies is what we experienced. Follow the recommended posts for booking ahead of time. The town itself is very walkable and easily down from the ship. However, if you want to go further afield you will need some form of transportation. It is so worth trying to see outside of the town. The island is beautiful with a tremendous history that is documented in several places. We loved our day there on the Silhouette last August.

When a large ship is in town every available vehicle, taxi, etc. is employed by the couple of tour companies is what we experienced. Follow the recommended posts for booking ahead of time. The town itself is very walkable and easily down from the ship. However, if you want to go further afield you will need some form of transportation. It is so worth trying to see outside of the town. The island is beautiful with a tremendous history that is documented in several places. We loved our day there on the Silhouette last August.

Thank You for the info... would you know if the taxis will be waiting at the port when the ships arrive without prearranging one and I can pay on the spot for them to go out of town . The reason why I'm asking we're coming in on a cruise ship and it's a tendor port so I hate to pay in advance just in case the ship doesn't make it there due to weather conditions or it's late coming in.

Thank You for the info... would you know if the taxis will be waiting at the port when the ships arrive without prearranging one and I can pay on the spot for them to go out of town . The reason why I'm asking we're coming in on a cruise ship and it's a tendor port so I hate to pay in advance just in case the ship doesn't make it there due to weather conditions or it's late coming in.

We rented a car when we were there and if the ship hadn't docked we would have got a refund. As skysthelimit said, every mode of transport is pre-booked by cruisers so I think it's unlikely you could just pick up a taxi n the day.

There isn't much traffic on the island and it was so easy to drive around. Lerwick itself may be a disappointment - it's just a small country town - but the island is well worth a tour.