Eating in Prague

SrTrPro

We will begin our Viking "COL" cruise in Prague with 2 nights a the Prague, Hilton (Pobrezni). Any recommendations on where to eat dinner the 1st night and / or 2nd night other than at the hotel?

How do prices compare at local restaurants with the hotel?

Thanks,

Bruce

We stayed at that Hilton with Avalon a few years ago. It is not in the center so we just walked about 25 minutes to get to the main area.

There are some wonderful restaurants in Prague but I don't recall much near the hotel. Typical hotel food and prices at that Hilton.

We will begin our Viking "COL" cruise in Prague with 2 nights a the Prague, Hilton (Pobrezni). Any recommendations on where to eat dinner the 1st night and / or 2nd night other than at the hotel?

Thanks,

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

We are also staying at the Hilton on our Viking pre-cruise stay. I've been doing a lot of research on things to do in Prague including restaurants. Two of my must visits are:

Café Imperial

Na Poříčí 15 • Prague 1

http://www.cafeimperial.cz/

Café Louvre

Národní 22, 110 00 Praha 1, Czech Republic

http://www.cafelouvre.cz/

If you are a foodie like my husband and I are, there are a couple of tours with really good reviews. We are going on the 'Eating Prague' tour and then there is a 'Taste of Prague' tour. Just google them.

There are so many good restraunts in Prague that it is difficult to choose!!! I've compiled a huge list that is impossible to try them all. The tours I hope will give us a sampling of several that we would otherwise be impossible to visit.

Hope this helps!

Great question. Which Hilton are you referring to?

If you're staying at Hilton Old Town, I would also love a critique:)

We stayed in Hilton Old Town in June and it was wonderful!! There are restaurants all around, although the hotel restaurant was excellent and no pricier than you would expect. This will sound weird, but when you leave the hotel go to your right about 1/8 mile. There is a French restaurant on the right with an outdoor terrace and it's set back from the street...I had the best French food there that I have had in my life, better than anything I had in Paris!!! I know it's Prague, but if you love French food, you take it where you can get it. There are also dozens of local restaurants all around the hotel and you're only about 1/4 mile from a town square with a huge indoor mall where you can get anything you might need that you forgot. If you walk through that square, go past the Opera House on your left, and keep going to your right through the Powder Tower (you'll be taken there by your TM the night you arrive and cannot miss it), you'll come to the Old Town Square, which is where the clock is, there are so many restaurants there among the shops that you will have a hard time deciding. Our TM recommended the French restaurant btw, and it was really worth it. I liked this hotel better than the other Hilton because of it's location but it's a bit older than the other one.

Edited by Hydrokitty

:) Thanks for the reply.

My sister's dinner suggestions :) Terrace Sky Restaurant in Hotel U Prince, and Hergetova Cihelna.

You really can't go wrong....I never had a bad meal in Prague. When you're at this hotel, as you walk from the hotel, to your right, there's a small square on the left. When we were there they were having a local farmer's market type fair, with booths selling all kinds of "walking around" food as well as "stuff". Look for a booth that's selling something like a donut that's dough rolled into a long cylinder, then rolled in nuts and cinnamon and cooked over an open flame. It's absolutely fabulous....when you're at the castle and going down the Golden Road, at the end are a series of vendors selling food. If you see something that looks like Pringles on a stick, buy it....it's to die for. It's a potato cut in spirals and deep fried. We bought them while waiting for our bus and oh my goodness it was delicious.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We (4 of us mid 50's to mid 60's)stayed in this hotel with Avalon last year, location was far better than what we expected and would stay there again, plenty of local places to eat.

Best is Imperial Café, only 10 to 15min walk at most.

If you go to lower lobby in Hotel, exit through doors, walk straight across car /bus parking area and entry arcade in building on opposite side of road, this has food shops, chemist etc. At end of Arcade is Tram, Bus and Underground stops all within 100m, all will take you to centre of Prague in under 10 mins, we walked into centre many time over our 5 days 20min with no stop (sorry that is hard with women wanting to look in all the shops etc), also took longer walk around the river to the centre, that was less than 30mins. Many good shops and restaurants on the way into city if you just follow the tram line.

Also some great local restaurants in basement on road by tram stop, sorry can't remember names but best was less than 100m right of arcade below road level.

Only issue with 90% of restaurants is the high numbers of smokers even with non smoking areas it can be annoying to some people.

We are not at the "Old Town" Hilton, but the "Pobrezni" Hilton.

Bruce

Sorry for confusion, I know you're at the Hilton Prague, my answer with restaurant direction was really aimed at 3kittens because she's staying at the Hilton Old Town, which is the one we stayed at. Both of them are very nice hotels, I just liked the location of Old Town better. However, recommendation for potato on a stick at Prague Castle applies to you too....not to be missed (Castle AND potato) and if you see something that looks like a modern day lightbulb on a stick, buy that too. :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

We are not at the "Old Town" Hilton, but the "Pobrezni" Hilton.

Bruce

Bruce, We stayed at this location post river cruise several yrs. back. There is a great little Casual Beer Pub within easy walking distance that is primarily visited by the locals. Was recommended to us by the Hilton Hotel Concierge as we typically stay away from Hotel restaurants and go where the locals dine. It is called Pivovarsky Kub #17 Krizkova. They can map it out for you at the Hilton but only about 3 blocks away. Good potato Pancakes, Port Knuckle and other local cuisine. We enjoyed it and ate their twice, Lunch and Dinner. Big variety of Beers, local brewed and imports. Last there in 2012 but was quite tasty. We will be in Prague this December on a Christmas markets cruise and plan to go back. It is listed on Trip Advisor.

Another restaurant we liked was Cafe Imperial, easy walking distance and quite good. A bit more upscale then Pivovarsky Klub. Final recommendation was Kolkovna Celnice, down the street from the Hilton Old Town Prague so a bit further from where you are staying but still easily walkable. We walked everywhere in Prague from our location. Kolkovna Celnice is also on Trip Advisor and not far from where you walk under The Powder Gate to head to the Old Town Square. We ate there back in 2012 our Thanksgiving Dinner as we were there for the Holiday. We plan to check them all out again in December on our return visit to Prague.

Good Luck!

Bruce, not sure when you will be in Prague. If during Summer crowds I would recommend having your Concierge make a reservation for Cafe Imperial.

It is quite popular and can be difficult to get a table without prior reservation.

Pivorsky Klub was our first introduction to Local Czech cuisine and we were very satisfied as were others from our Hotel who we referred there. Reasonably priced too!

We, too, ate at the rooftop restaurant (at the time we were there is was, supposedly, the only rooftop restaurant in Prague) and the food was excellent. The menu was not extensive but we had a great time and would definitely eat there again.

I loved Prague. In fact, I walked the city by myself searching for a new curling iron because mine burned up the first night there. I used the same adaptor and converter my DH used for his CPAP machine. He had no trouble but my curling iron burned up in my hair. Although no one really understood what I was searching for I managed to find a salon supply shop about a mile from the hotel. I didn't get exactly what I was looking for but it is ok and I've used it overseas many times since. I felt perfectly safe walking by myself.

Completely OT, but ... it boggles my mind why very few river cruise posters take advantage of this site. Maybe it has to do with ship size? Too much personal info for such a small crowd, could make an uncomfortable cruise??:eek::eek:

But I am going to give this a go, to get some answers that a few TA are unable to answer:confused: fingers crossed:D

Completely OT, but ... it boggles my mind why very few river cruise posters take advantage of this site. Maybe it has to do with ship size? Too much personal info for such a small crowd, could make an uncomfortable cruise??:eek::eek:

But I am going to give this a go, to get some answers that a few TA are unable to answer:confused: fingers crossed:D

It's interesting...I have only met ONE person on CC that was also on a trip with me. Otherwise most of the time when I mention CC people ask me "what's that?" I think CC appeals to people who love to do research and amass as much info as possible. In other words, we're computer savvy and like to be in control. I did research for a living and I freely admit to being a control freak. :D

It's interesting...I have only met ONE person on CC that was also on a trip with me. Otherwise most of the time when I mention CC people ask me "what's that?" I think CC appeals to people who love to do research and amass as much info as possible. In other words, we're computer savvy and like to be in control. I did research for a living and I freely admit to being a control freak. :D

You've certainly got that right! Fellow control freak here as well! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks to CC, I have met two ladies which they and their husbands will be with us on our River cruise. We are sharing information and even a private guide that I found in Prague. I like having friends before we even set foot on the ship.

You've certainly got that right! Fellow control freak here as well! Wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks to CC, I have met two ladies which they and their husbands will be with us on our River cruise. We are sharing information and even a private guide that I found in Prague. I like having friends before we even set foot on the ship.

And wait till you see your Holiday card list AFTER the cruise!!

Thanks,

Bruce

We stayed at the Hilton Probrezni for 2 night last year, one night we were very tired and just ate at the hotel. It was VERY overpriced even for a hotel. The second night we went to the Cafe Imperial was only a 10 minute walk and we enjoyed our dinner. Atmosphere was great, food OK.

Bruce

The things I loved, personally, about dining in Prague were the beer and the game. Had venison, wild boar, rabbit, and lots of great brew.

If you have a chance and love beer, by all means visit the brewpub at the Strahov Monastery in the Castle District. Great food, great beer, and then great views of Prague in panorama as you walk back downhill to the Mala Strana.