Solo cruise for two?

mojo22

I am considering a solo cruise (my first solo, cruised once before with a coworker years ago). I would prefer to go with somebody, but not sure I can make that happen. What I am wondering is if I should book a cruise for 2 people on the off chance I can get my son or somebody to come with me, being as it is the same price for a single cruiser as it is for 2 people? That way I have a cruise for two booked, but if that doesn't work out, I am guessing I can just go alone. Does that even make any sense?

Policies no doubt vary, but in most cases I believe you need to provide the name and identifying information for ALL passengers at the time you book. So unless there is a darn good chance that the named person will in fact go, I think it would be easier to ADD someone later than to substitute someone later.

In any event, clarify the exact procedure with the cruise line in question before you book.

I am considering a solo cruise (my first solo, cruised once before with a coworker years ago). I would prefer to go with somebody, but not sure I can make that happen. What I am wondering is if I should book a cruise for 2 people on the off chance I can get my son or somebody to come with me, being as it is the same price for a single cruiser as it is for 2 people? That way I have a cruise for two booked, but if that doesn't work out, I am guessing I can just go alone. Does that even make any sense?

When I booked my last solo (on NCL) their cruise rep suggested that I include my daughter or someone in the booking. That way, they said, there would be lifeboat space if I wanted to add someone later. Apparently that can be a problem. Anyway, we agreed that I'd add her to the reservation and leave her on or change the name if someone else wanted to use the res. Otherwise, we'd remove her about a week before final payment. There is some value in removing the extra passenger because you'll save something on taxes and fees for the second person. I hope this helps. I realize different lines may have different rules.

That way I have a cruise for two booked, but if that doesn't work out, I am guessing I can just go alone. Does that even make any sense?

Keep in mind that the fare will be different for two people (vs one).

the total fare for two people =

2 x cruise fare +

2 x port charges +

2 x govt taxes

whereas the total fare for one person =

somewhere between 1 and 2 x the cruise fare (depends on itin) +

either 1x or 2x the port charges (depends on your specific cruise line) +

1x the govt taxes

I would strongly suggest you just book

this cruise as a solo, and pay whatever

the difference in price may be.

If down the road you find someone

to go, it is a simple matter to just

add a name, and pay whatever the

difference is..

difference is..

I agree. I just booked my 3rd solo cruise for next April; I'm sure I won't end up going alone, but if I do, at least I know I was comfortable with the price I booked it at.

difference is..

Unless it ends up being a popular cruise & the OP waits till the last minute to add someone...they may end up being told they cannot..due to life boat capacity...it's NOT AS LIKELY to happen when only adding the 2nd person to the cabin but it "COULD"....if there was any possiblity someone is going to be joining you I would just add them now and if it turns out no one does then just cancel the 2nd person before final pmt...

• 2 weeks later...

If you're more than 50% sure that someone will come with you I'd book with a "filler" person, pay what needs to be paid and cancel in enough time to be reimbursed additional charges if no one comes.

If you think it's more likely that someone won't come with you than will, I'd book strictly as a solo.

Archived