Gibraltar taxis

• 2 weeks later...

Just there 2 weeks ago - same price and money accepted as above! I didn't see any evidence of credit card acceptance, but don't really know. We just took euros.

If the taxi driver at the end tries to convince you to stay in town, I wouldn't bother. (He is probably just wanting to let everyone off there so he can (hopefully) find other people to take on a tour up the rock!) In the few shops I ventured into, the prices were ridiculous. I was afraid I had lost a plastic lens cap, and went looking for one. I was NOT, however, willing to pay the 20 euros they wanted! I know European prices can be expensive, but 20 was ridiculous for something I can order on Amazon for $2 postage paid! Instead, I got a snack, and then took a bus up to the airport and walked across it (fun) and took a bus down to Europa Point (beautiful) before going back to the ship.

Edited by roothy123

Just there 2 weeks ago - same price and money accepted as above! I didn't see any evidence of credit card acceptance, but don't really know. We just took euros.

If the taxi driver at the end tries to convince you to stay in town, I wouldn't bother. (He is probably just wanting to let everyone off there so he can (hopefully) find other people to take on a tour up the rock!) In the few shops I ventured into, the prices were ridiculous. I was afraid I had lost a plastic lens cap, and went looking for one. I was NOT, however, willing to pay the 20 euros they wanted! I know European prices can be expensive, but 20 was ridiculous for something I can order on Amazon for $2 postage paid! Instead, I got a snack, and then took a bus up to the airport and walked across it (fun) and took a bus down to Europa Point (beautiful) before going back to the ship.

Hi Roothy,

There are duty free booze n smokes bargains in Gib, but yes, to reinforce your point there are also plenty of rip-offs, ESP in electronics. And Gib is a dumping ground for last-years models. The only advantage is the tax saving, so best not to buy unless you know what you want, incl model number, n the price at home.

But Main Street is still interesting, to browse, to enjoy a pint, n to see some of Gib.s minor sights such as the Governors House n the Trafalgar cemetery.

JB :)

• 3 weeks later...

But Main Street is still interesting, to browse, to enjoy a pint, n to see some of Gib.s minor sights such as the Governors House n the Trafalgar cemetery.

JB :)

For sure I agree to do some people watching and enjoying hopefully the same wonderful weather we had a couple weeks ago! We too made it a point to stop for a cool drink at an outdoor spot to enjoy the whole ambiance. I agree...the cemetary was interesting to browse. Did that after visiting the "monkeys".

Might I add...some people need to read the signs and follow the "rules". We saw three different people accousted by the monkeys for their food, drink and bags. And two groups feeding a couple until they were scolded by staff members. The staff mentioned that "cruisers" were making it harder to keep the monkeys from going after glasses, hats, purses, backpacks etc. I doubt it's just the cruisers, but really people. These ARE wild animals.;)

For sure I agree to do some people watching and enjoying hopefully the same wonderful weather we had a couple weeks ago! We too made it a point to stop for a cool drink at an outdoor spot to enjoy the whole ambiance. I agree...the cemetary was interesting to browse. Did that after visiting the "monkeys".

Might I add...some people need to read the signs and follow the "rules". We saw three different people accousted by the monkeys for their food, drink and bags. And two groups feeding a couple until they were scolded by staff members. The staff mentioned that "cruisers" were making it harder to keep the monkeys from going after glasses, hats, purses, backpacks etc. I doubt it's just the cruisers, but really people. These ARE wild animals.;)

Well, I hear there are a lot of daytrippers from the nearby resorts in Spain that take the cable car up (and probably cabs, too) - so no, I'm sure it's not just the cruisers that don't follow the rules. When I was there, with the occupants of a few other taxis, we stopped at a place where there were lots of oranges, cabbages, and the like - not sure who placed that stuff there, but at least the apes weren't accosting us looking for food! Of course, it was baby season, so they may have had better things to do!

Yes the keepers put piles of food out to keep the monkeys "non-interested" in the humans. ;) However...there were two larger, older ones who hung out at the top lookout point where people gathered for pictures. They moved to the cable car stop when we were heading back down. They tried accosting some people coming off the car. But the keepers were there to shoo them away.