Corfu beach

DevonianCruiser

Approximately 30 minutes drive one way to the closest beach, the name is Dassie (I don't remember the exact name). 17 of us just returned from 7 day Mediterranean cruise on MSC Fantasia. When you get off the ship, there are plenty of taxi will offer round trip ride for 4 at 60 euro. Or if you don't want to take the taxi, there is desk right at the port building to offer the same for 64 euro. 12 of us took the 64 options for 4 persons, 5 of us took the shuttle to town and then transferred to bus 7. The bus ride took longer but paid only 6.50 euro per person.

Regarded as the most beautiful beach on the island of Corfu, Paleokastritsa (or just 'Paleo' for short will do) is about 35-45 min away by KTEL regional bus. I was there last month for the 2nd time and thoroughly enjoyed my day!

Here's a link to the local bus schedules (please note: sometimes there are more, but this is accurate as of a couple weeks ago): http://www.ktelkerkyras.gr/?module=default&pages_id=7&lang=el

The bus is 2.30 Euros per person each way, purchased on board. During the journey, someone will come to collect your money and give you a ticket. You cannot buy round-trip tickets or day-tickets. When you are dropped off, ask the driver where to stand for the return journey and confirm the return times. (It should be where you are dropped off, but sometimes they drop you off in front of a shop and pick you up on the other side of the street (that happened to me the first trip and I saw it happen with a later bus this time). This trip our drop off and pick up were the same. The stops are just across the street from one another, so it's no distance. However, if a line forms on the wrong side/pick up point, it could put you at the back of the line if you're not where the driver wants you and the whole line crosses the street....speaking from experience :) The pick up should be on the sidewalk (above the beach line). There's a little bulletin board-type structure with a little roof, it's not technically the stop but it's real close. Don't stand there to wait for the bus, but look for the paint on the pavement that says BUS and stand there).

(Note: for the bus back, it will either say Corfu or Kerkyra, the name of your port city in Corfu. Some aren't aware of the alternate name, so just wanted to note that). This trip there were so many passengers, they called a second bus within just a few minutes, so everyone was able to get back with no issues.

{I'm copying this from an old post for directions on how to arrive at the bus terminal: "From the cruise port gate, take a left onto the main road. Crossing the street now will probably help, as you'll be making a right turn later. (The journey took us about 20 minutes, but I took a right turn earlier than I needed to....the most direct way would have saved time). Stay on the main street until you come to a circular stone structure in the road with directional signs attached. When I was there, I passed a Hotel and a Pizza Hut just shortly before I came to it. (note: before you see this you will come to a fairly busy intersection and you'll wonder if this is where you turn.....some go this way, but you have to criss-cross up and then left to get to the station....so just keep walking along the main street). On this circular structure (looks like a mini-roundabout) was a sign that clearly read, "To the Green Buses" with a right-hand arrow pointing to the street. NOTE that this sign was low, probably just a foot or two off the ground....don't be looking for the sign necessarily, but for the mini-roundabout-looking structure. Turn on the street and the terminal is just ahead on the left side."} Please note: On this most recent trip, I noticed a passenger was able to board the bus from a bus stop right in front of our Cruise Terminal! I believe this is new, or just I never noticed it before. It would save walking, although I can't guarantee the seating situation. The stop was right in front of the building just as you exit the gate (don't cross the street) and it will say Regional Green Bus Stop, or something to that effect. It was less than a 5 minute drive there from the bus terminal, so I would expect it pretty close to the schedule on their website.

Paleo is a gorgeous area. There are several beaches, some very quiet, some bustling with people.

There is also an Aquarium there that offers underwater cruises and cave trips. See http://www.corfuseadiscovery.com for their info. There's also private boat rentals at http://www.ampelakiboats.com/ and through other companies, as well.

From these websites, you can see how beautiful the area is! Enjoy your time in Corfu!

Hi,

I need to clarify where the bus stop for the Regional "Green Bus" close to the cruise terminal is. For those who've never been to Corfu, it's about a 5 minute walk through the parking lot from the ship to the building where you exit (the port also runs a free shuttle). Then after passing through that building, you exit the gated area by heading forward & leftward, walking through the parking lot and out the gate. (The street is right there, but if you're waiting for the bus and not walking to the bus terminal, don't cross the street.) The bus stop is just outside the gate.