First time HAL cruiser wants ms Amsterdam information

MSUcruisers

DH and I are getting ready for our first HAL cruise. I have a few questions.

-Once we get aboard the ms. Amsterdam, will we be able to have lunch in the main dining room? I have a food allergy that I will need to discuss with someone there. I already reported it to HAL.

-How is the quality of the mattresses? We have a cabin on the lower promande deck. If needed, I will request an egg crate.

-What is the current entertainment on the ms. Amsterdam?

-Is there a charge for the digital photo workshops?

-Are there any exercise classes onboard? What is the charge, if any? What kind of exercise equipment is there on the ship?

-Is there be a lobster night?

We board next Monday for a 14-night Alaskan cruise. Thanks.

DH and I are getting ready for our first HAL cruise. I have a few questions.

-Once we get aboard the ms. Amsterdam, will we be able to have lunch in the main dining room? I have a food allergy that I will need to discuss with someone there. I already reported it to HAL.

-How is the quality of the mattresses? We have a cabin on the lower promande deck. If needed, I will request an egg crate.

-What is the current entertainment on the ms. Amsterdam?

-Is there a charge for the digital photo workshops?

-Are there any exercise classes onboard? What is the charge, if any? What kind of exercise equipment is there on the ship?

-Is there be a lobster night?

We board next Monday for a 14-night Alaskan cruise. Thanks.

EMBARKATION LUNCH The MDR has been reserved for former HAL cruisers (Mariners) on embarkation day, but I understand this policy has changed to now include everyone, but sometimes there is no meal service at all - so not able to answer that one. That may have to be a wait and see.

DINING RESTRICTIONS: The other option will then be the Lido for lunch buffet and apparently those will food allergies need to talk to the Lido Dining Room manager - (wandering around in a uniform) to sort out how they will need to respond to your own personal dietary needs.

BEDS: We have found the beds to be very comfortable, but that is such a personal issue. So you can request an egg crate if you need it later.

ENTERTAINMENT: Hard to tell, usually it is an assortment of cast production shows and individual entertainers on different nights, or the regular music venue choices from classical to dance music in different fixed venues.

DIGITAL PHOTO: Free, but it is Microsoft only. There is a "techspert" who holds regular hours for individual consultation about other digital device issues.

EXERCISE CLASSES: Some are free, some are more individualized and do require a fee and a sign-up. The gyms have a fairly typical array of equipment - weights, resistance training series, ellipticals, treadmills, bikes, rowing machines, spinners ($?). Typically not crowded but you may find some times more impacted than others.

LOBSTER: Typically it is available complimentary at least one of the several Gala nights - check the menu that day, and is also available for an additional surcharge in the Pinnacle restaurant.

You picked a good, smaller HAL ship and a nice long itinerary to see it all in Alaska. Hope you have a wonderful cruise and welcome. One of the good things about the smaller ships like the Amsterdam for this type of high-scenery cruises is it is easier to move from side to side and front to back to ...see it all. Another is often the smaller ships begin and end their cruise midweek like yours on Monday, and could mean you get out of the heavier trafficked 7 day week-end to week-end itinerary routes which the larger ships take. You just maybe could have some ports all to yourself - that would be great.

We have done your cruise -- both times on the Amsterdam.

First time for Alaska -- dining room closed to everyone because of a special event.

Second time -- it opened later than normal and then was limited to 4 and 5 star Mariners since it would be open only for a short time.

There are spinning classes, palates and something else for a price -- $13 per class.

There will be 3 Gala nights and lobster is offered on the last Gala night.

HAL has changed their mattresses -- and no longer like them. The beds are much lower to the floor and if you have back and/or knee problems -- they are hard to get out of. Ours was not firm like we have at home.

Enjoy your cruise -- it is a great itinerary.