MS Amsterdam - Anchorage

TheCalicoCat

When the ship docks in Anchorage, I assume there will be a shuttle from the ship since this is an industrial port.

Where does the shuttle drop you off?

Can you go back & forth, or is this a port where you should plan to be off the ship all day or where once you return you should plan on staying on the ship?

edited to add: I will have access to a car, will I be able to park the car, return to the ship, go back to the car? (We are in port from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m.)

(Can I shower & change on the ship after hiking prior to dinner in Anchorage?)

If memory serves, it takes about 10 minutes to ride into the city for the shuttle drop off. It may be different now, but I have seen the shuttle drop off at the Egan Center, and at the Visitors' Center around the corner, in different years.

Yes, you can come and go from the ship at will, but do remember the ship is in a secure area, so allow time for that when you plan to return to the ship and leave again.

I have no specific idea where you could park in town, but I am sure there is parking in the vicinity of the Egan Center, probably in or near the shopping mall nearby.

Yesterday that shuttle dropped us off at the Westmark downtown at the corner of 6th and G. You can go back and forth throughout the day. The shuttle ride was about 10 or 15 minutes. The drop off location may change to the one emotion centre which is about a block away.

The drop off location is nicely situated with lots of shopping and access to activities.

As for parking, you won't be able to park in or near the port and access the ship. There are parkades near the shuttle drop off points downtown.

Yesterday that shuttle dropped us off at the Westmark downtown at the corner of 6th and G. You can go back and forth throughout the day. The shuttle ride was about 10 or 15 minutes. The drop off location may change to the one emotion centre which is about a block away.

The drop off location is nicely situated with lots of shopping and access to activities.

As for parking, you won't be able to park in or near the port and access the ship. There are parkades near the shuttle drop off points downtown.

Many previous posts indicate that the drop-off/pick-up for the shuttle is at the Eagan Center on the 5th Avenue side. Now, your information is saying differently. I have Anchorage-residing relatives whom I want to meet and not knowing EXACTLY where is becoming a major irritant to me.

Many previous posts indicate that the drop-off/pick-up for the shuttle is at the Eagan Center on the 5th Avenue side. Now, your information is saying differently. I have Anchorage-residing relatives whom I want to meet and not knowing EXACTLY where is becoming a major irritant to me.

The Westmark Hotel and the Egan Center are only 2 blocks apart, so it's easy to arrange to meet at one (I'd pick the Egan Center as that's the most usual) and if necessary, walk to the other. Or just call your relatives and ask them. Way easier than being irritated.

The voyage prior to ours was at the Egan Centre. We were at the Westmark for some reason or another.

Apparently, "it depends" is the official answer. On the AK board, based on my date I was told the Civic Center... (That CC member is a local & probably looked at a calendar of activities of something - I didn't ask, I just took the information as it was presented on a public forum for free & thanked her/him for providing the information.)

Edited by TheCalicoCat
typo