Couple Questions about Katakolon and Corfua

jvalastro

Hi everyone! I have two questions, one about Katakolon, and one about Corfu. So first, in Katakolon, what is there to do for a family besides Olympia? My kids are not that interested in ruins and our cruise is docking at Ephesus, which I have been told is far superior, so I don't think we would like to have two "ruins" days. Are there any nice beaches nearby or is Katakolon a nice town to just walk around?

Second, in Corfu, what is the best beach to visit for a day, preferably close to restaurants and shops? Also, would we be missing a lot by just visiting a beach instead of touring the island in some sort of tour?

Thanks a lot!

I too am curious about beaches at the Katakolon port. Is it worth taking a ride out to one of the other vs. the one near the port?

Sorry, I have only walked by the one by the port. If you get a taxi to another, be sure to arrange a return trip. Do not pay anything to the cabbie until you get back to town.

Second, in Corfu, what is the best beach to visit for a day, preferably close to restaurants and shops? Also, would we be missing a lot by just visiting a beach instead of touring the island in some sort of tour?

Thanks a lot!

Corfu is a beautiful island, one of the most scenic of all the Greek Islands and we have had holidays on many of them. I would recommend you take an island tour. Although we have stayed on Corfu, I don't recall a beach near to the town but others might know better. The town itself is interesting too.

Hope that helps a little :)

In Katakolon, we rented a car from Avis and drove to Chlemoutsi Castle, an imposing Frankish castle. We had lunch in Killini. Killini is a small holiday town with a reasonable beach. The countryside is very nice there.

In Katakolon, we walked the few streets, shopped and had a Coke at a cafe overlooking the harbor. It was nice to relax after several hectic port days.

I bought some pretty earrings and a lovely lapis pendant...have credit card, will travel.:)

There are also two small museums.

We did not go to the beach but did observe many jelly fish along the pier.

We enjoyed Katakolon.

I got a thrill out of actually walking where the Olympics started. We love watching the Olympics every two years, so probably it would be boring to most people. That and the two small museums were about it besides a few shops. I bought a beautiful gold bracelet. Ephesus has a lot more to see even though it's also ruins. The kids can sit on a wall that 's an outdoor toilet where the movers and shakers met to conduct and do their business at the same time.

Archived