Scuba diving in coco cay

BillOh

Has anyone done the Scuba diving at Coco Cay off of either Enchantment or Majesty in the past year or so?

For all the self appointed moderators, I could have posted in the private islands section or the scuba section, but I thought I might more likely get a reply here.

I am about to make my 4th trip to Coco Cay, all on Majesty. In 2007 I snorkeled and had a great time. When we were there in 2010 I saw a few people participating in the scuba excursion there and talking to them later it was very worthwhile. That started me on my road to getting certified, which I did a few years later. When I went back in 2013 again on Majesty I booked the scuba here. We got a call the night before saying it was canceled because of rough conditions. The next day was one of the nicest, calm days I have spent there. Snorkeling and Waverunner excursions went as usual. I suspect I was the only one that signed up so they canceled it rather than pay someone to dive with just me. At that point I had about 33% cancellation on Royal excursions and switched to mostly private.

So, have you scuba dove on Coco Cay from one of the small ships recently? I'm hoping on keeping my record intact and being 4 for 4 on making the port.

Edited by BillOh
Punctuation

• 1 month later...

Bill, I've only been to Coc Cay once, and that was for my 6 month post double knee replacement celebration. I had originally planned to dive there when I booked the cuise. However, as time drew closer, I felt my knees weren't quite ready to deal with the extra weight I would be carrying in dive gear, so I chose to snorkel. Honestly, I didn't feel like I missed out on anything because I wasn't using scuba gear, and that is not something you'll hear me say very often. I swam all over their fairly large snorkel area at my own pace. I was able to see a lot of fish, primarily in the areas they had staged as their snorkel trail, and it was shallow enough that I was able to easily dive down to see anything I wanted to see up closer.

If you want a dive to get another entry in your log book, or to use as a refresher, then I would do the dive there. Otherwise, I'd save my money and do my diving in a different port. BTW, the dive shop was not open at all while we were on the island. We did not go ashore early, so they might have run an early dive and been gone by the time we arrived on the island.

I'm sure you will find some people who did dive Coco Cay and loved it. I can't say from experience diving there that it isn't good. I can say that if I'm on a cruise that stops there again I will stick with snorkeling. I might even explore some around the other side of the island, as I heard there were some decent snorkel spots there too.

If you do decide to dive, I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

I had snorkeled there 3 times and enjoyed it each time. I just want to go out a little further and deeper. The nice thing about diving here is I can leave my wife on the beach in comfort. If I dive in Nassau this time, I will bring her on the boat which she is ok with.

The SCUBA DIVE does not go to the snorkel area

not saying it is a great dive ... but don't be dissuaded by the fact the snorkel area is 'shallow' ... the dive will typically not exceed 45 feet but that is deeper than the snork' area

also ... the 'excursion dive' is b4 any other activity on the island IME ... we were the FIRST boat ashore. Once the 'dive' is over the 'dive' {scuba} shak closes ..... the snorkel activities are run out of a different building ....

DD and RCL at Coco just a few weeks ago

coco%20cay%20snorkel_zpsqgjwlj7e.jpg

Majesty_zpsujwvxzrq.jpg

Bill, you have or know how to look at Coco Cay via Google Earth right? And know the basic layout? Meaning you know that just to the north of the snorkel area is a 'natural' breakwater. The SCUBA dive (IME) leaves from the beach nearest the snorkel area and goes to the OUTSIDE of this breakwater .....

To ensure folks don't burn all their air getting there they encourage snorkeling to a meet point where the group will drop - near the cut to the outside .... For those not comfortable snorkeling they had a waverunner with a rescue sled and would TOW folks out to the drop point .....

I can hang a picture with circles and arrows on request .....

p.s. DW did not do this dive and I was done and waiting at the tender landing when she came ashore WELL B4 lunch time .....

Edited by Capt_BJ

Bill, you have or know how to look at Coco Cay via Google Earth right? And know the basic layout? Meaning you know that just to the north of the snorkel area is a 'natural' breakwater. The SCUBA dive (IME) leaves from the beach nearest the snorkel area and goes to the OUTSIDE of this breakwater .....

To ensure folks don't burn all their air getting there they encourage snorkeling to a meet point where the group will drop - near the cut to the outside .... For those not comfortable snorkeling they had a waverunner with a rescue sled and would TOW folks out to the drop point .....

I can hang a picture with circles and arrows on request .....

p.s. DW did not do this dive and I was done and waiting at the tender landing when she came ashore WELL B4 lunch time .....

Great post. I am familiar with Google Earth and familiar with the island. I have done mostly boat dives and my one shore drive was pretty much step off the pier into a dive area, so the info about snorkeling to the dive area is helpful. I will have new GoPRO 4 with me, so I hope to have good video I can get pics from.